PhilB

In Support of a New Vanilla Hive

*This isn't a post for complaining/discussing the current state of the mod. The purpose here is to say, "What kinds of positive, proactive steps can us players take to bring back the vanilla hive? And how popular is this idea truly?"

Anyone reading this post most likely is aware of the very modest and casual discussions so far about resurrecting the hive, such as the few remaining vanilla servers joining together.

I, for one, thinks this is a great idea. My sense is that others do too!

While I can't provide any technical help because I am not a programmer, only a very dedicated player, I can donate! I'm willing to provide financial support for the undertaking. I mean, how hard is it for me to plop a few bucks in a pay pal account so I can have my hive back?

This thread is to:

1. Reply back just to show support for starting a new vanilla hive

2. What you can offer in the way of help (even if that just means being eager to be on 3-4 nights a week with a full and vibrant player base)

3. Any other positive ideas you have in regards to all this

Here I go!

1. Bring back da Hive!

2. I'm totally ready to play and pay if need be

3. I'd love to see a global stats webpage again. I'm curious to know global average life span, my average life span. Without giving away any info that might lead to meta gaming such as knowing pvp hot spots on the map, I like to know how well I stack up against all the other players.

Final thoughts . . . 1.8.1 is extremely stable, feature rich and sublimely difficult. For instance, I don't think zombie pathfinding and the threat they now pose could be much improved upon. Feels that way for most parts of the game. Only some final tweaking now and it is as perfect as Arma 2 engine will allow it to be. 

We sit in this ironic quandary where the mod is nearly finished and IS SO AWESOME right as the hive goes down and the database is apparently lost forever. However I really see it a s a golden opportunity to essentially start from scratch and rebuild a whole community.

• Like 5

I think it's sad I feel more inclined to start paying for a previously free version of DayZ rather than play the version I've already payed for.

ATM I wouldn't make a monetary investment, but I also support  resurrection on some level. Vanilla DayZ Mod was fun.

• Like 3

I've mentioned it a few times on the forums already, and I'm happy to repeat myself: I too would absolutely love to see a new "public" hive!

If money is an issue, I'de be more than happy to contribute an amount of the order of, say, an average server rent, if nee be. But probably, manpower/technical experience are the more important factors. We should get the admins of the FR 34 and FR 129 servers on board of this, as they seem to have the knowledge we need. Those two servers already run a joint private DB.

I've mentioned it a few times on the forums already, and I'm happy to repeat myself: I too would absolutely love to see a new "public" hive!

If money is an issue, I'de be more than happy to contribute an amount of the order of, say, an average server rent, if nee be. But probably, manpower/technical experience are the more important factors. We should get the admins of the FR 34 and FR 129 servers on board of this, as they seem to have the knowledge we need. Those two servers already run a joint private DB.

Love it dude! Thanks for bump!

There's probably something more special about us "purists" having our hive. I wanna know how I stack against the legendary RomanZ, bup  bup, my suviva!

Also this-

Vanilla is for elites! You can have your Overpoch, your SA character but the one that matters most is Vanilla, cuz surviving Hell is an achievement unto itself. I challenge all elites, from Frankie to the lowest dog, can you survive Vanilla for more than a day!?!?

I'm all for a new "public" hive as well.  Not sure I have much to offer but the idea sounds great and it may renew interest in playing the vanilla mod.

Bring back da Hive!

would be willing to pay but that would depend on the model/structure of the whole project.

the character which mattered most was vanilla 1st person for me.

*sigh*

*BUMP*  I'm still hoping a new public hive is a possibility.  How can we help make this happen?

Bump

I think we need to seriously look into this, lets contact former admins and such. Maybe a mod from here would help?

Bump

I think we need to seriously look into this, lets contact former admins and such. Maybe a mod from here would help?

How many servers can there be anymore to warrant this? 

How many servers can there be anymore to warrant this?

I know of 2, and Im sure theres former server owners still.

Ive seen private communities.with private hives, Im sure its possible.

I know of 2, and Im sure theres former server owners still.

Ive seen private communities.with private hives, Im sure its possible.

I run a pure vanilla private hive. I don't think i would want to be connected to the public hive. So many issues, ghosting server hoping etc.

• Like 2

434 seems to be where it's at. Pop numbers are beginning to rival any overpoch server. Only 5-8 available slots on server yesterday during prime time. Won't be long until it will be overcrowded.

But why bother going to another server if they aren't connected? 

I think because the mod has matured finally it isn't really different from other popular mods in the sense that there might be no permanent solution for hacking, ghosting, etc. but the player base is reduced to mostly only those who wish to truly play the game. 434 and 435 are connected and I haven't heard any issues with people using 435 to ghost.

434 seems to be where it's at. Pop numbers are beginning to rival any overpoch server. Only 5-8 available slots on server yesterday during prime time. Won't be long until it will be overcrowded.

But why bother going to another server if they aren't connected? 

I think because the mod has matured finally it isn't really different from other popular mods in the sense that there might be no permanent solution for hacking, ghosting, etc. but the player base is reduced to mostly only those who wish to truly play the game. 434 and 435 are connected and I haven't heard any issues with people using 435 to ghost.

I have a fairly decent solution. Works pretty well :)

I have a fairly decent solution. Works pretty well :)

Track the IP, kick the door in and blow their rig up? I did it... once... back in Nam. Not the war, it was a business trip 2 years ago. Standard laptop in a hut, got pretty ugly...
  • Like 1

Bump

Oops, sorry...

But really, if any Server owners (Or anyone, for that matter) are interested in this, please post!

• Like 1

There looks to be around 150 players on all vanilla servers ATM... looks good, 2 months ago on a Monday there would have been like 40...

I've had the discussion with some of the other public server operators to start a new public hive.  I have the resources to host a new public hive, but with that comes overhead of maintaining the new public hive and there is of course cost associated as well.  Someone has to maintain the database, the bandwidth costs money, dedicating hardware to a new DB server costs money, especially if there is to be any redundancy for links and the database server itself.  Any of you that work in IT might have some inclination as to just how expensive bandwidth can be.  I could host the MySQL server in a clustered VMware environment which would take care of the redundancy, but there is also the question of IOPS the server might need and a virtual environment may not be the best solution.

All things considered with the operational cost of a new public hive, is there really enough players left with interest in playing vanilla dayz to justify having multiple servers connected to a single hive?  Personally, I don't think the numbers are there.

Thanks for all the positive responses!

A couple things--

Some guy/gal called Bakerland has a new hive. 4 vanilla servers hived. Even described as "New Vanilla Hive" in DayzCommander. Tommy Geryon has two servers hived (and if he would just change 435 to 434 settings and got it to filter in DazCommander that server would surely fill up as well).

I understand the cost issue. Subscription to access the hive? I'd pay. Crowdfunding?

Also, I am surmising that there are way more challenges when trying to hive separate owners' servers versus a single owner, such as this Bakerland, who individually owns all the servers in a hive. I get that. If that is the challenge then maybe we all need to pool our resources in one direction to revive the hive?

Because I'm now seeing at least 5 new Vanilla servers on Dayzcommander that weren't there 2 months ago. All with zero pop! And won't be getting any pop sadly. If those individuals are willing to pay a premium to start a new server that won't ever get busy then there must be enough interest and available cash to start a hive so that new server owners have at least a fair chance to get population on their servers. 

Everyone is treating 434 (and DayzEuropa) as the de facto hive. When those servers are 50/50 I don't hop on yet another unrelated server. I simply don't play. We don't yet have an organized way for the current community to grow. But I think the potential is definitely there.

I am enthused at the level of interest while in-game. A constant stream of chat like "Just got this after playing SA, wow this kicks ass, what I thought SA was gonna be!" or "Just came back after playing SA, I forgot how amazing this game is, why did I ever stop playing?" or "Wow, look at all the new features in vanilla, and wow so stable and lag free!"

To the Bakerland guy/gal-Thanks! Maybe you read this post? But do me a favor. Rename your servers US 001, US 002, US 003, US 004. So "US 001 Vanilla Hive". There's a valid reason players continue to click on "US 434" versus the "So and so's vanilla hive hurtlocker" or whatever. Players are human beings who aren't entirely rational at all times. Using the old hive nomenclature of US 286, for example, invokes the authority and majesty that was once "DayZ Mod". It clearly delineates no extra tampering with the files, as well (or it should).

I guarantee if you rebrand a little as the original hive and get rid of "Bakerland" in server description your pop #'s will start to rise significantly. This may seem like a silly thing but note how critical it still remains to have your server as showing "active" in dayzcommander. Whenever 434 goes dark in Commander the pop # plummets.

SA is a long, long way off. Razor & team has done a phenomenal job perfecting the mod. The current state of the mod is viable competition for H1, Miscreated and any other attractive knock off. If none of us had ever heard of DayZ and it was released on Steam tomorrow I have no doubt it would once again become a hit. 

Some history: I can imagine the rebuttals about the viability of the mod. "People started migrating away from vanilla while in its hey day to play other maps, mods of mods, etc. The mod was losing interest even then and the current situation is the natural result." My answer to that is this: The ONLY reason players migrated away was because of the hacking, nothing more. I remember because I was there. Lingor was the first derivation. The interest in playing a different map was secondary to the dire need to try to find a haven away from the hackers. I think that lasted like literally 3 days on Lingor. The hackers came and ruined that one and then we all tried to move in yet other directions to find a legitimate play ground. 

A little rambling and disorganized on this post, sorry. Just a few thoughts for the conversation :)

• Like 1

I lost interest as the public hive died.  After over a year off, I would be in for this.  Actually updating files now, I used to play on one of Geryon's servers all the time, he runs a good ship.

any news on this?

does BI have any plan or idea for the mod or do they just not care anymore?

the mod is so great right now.

where to throw my money at?

anything else i could do?

thx for anyone still fighting for this.

The best thing that could happen is the release of version 1.8.3 of the mod on Steam. Dayz SA obviously do not care of the mod, are very busy with the development of the SA version, and do not pay attention of the delay they are causing, which is killing the community because of the critical bugs in the 1.8.2 that the next version is addressing.

So if you are able to lobby any BI Studio representative, you are welcome.

• Like 1