dallas

Reducing ammo = reduce murders

Im willing to bet reducing ammo = MORE murders, suddenly, that man with a couple of rounds, much more worth while murdering him than it was before if you have a decent amount of ammo.

I dont think the solution is limiting ammo because I would just kill you to get more. See I'm not a bad guy but you just made me one due to the fact I need ammo for my weapon.

You are most likley not going to trade me or why can I trust you? It's just more simple to kill you and take it.

Again it's not what I want to do but what I have to do.

In a game where everything is free and respawns why kill anyone for anything .... oh ya thats right people are lazy and pulling trigger is too easy. That and they want to ruin your game.

No.

Don't ask for reduced ammo just because someone shot you in the face and people continue to do so.

Does that mean there are some arguments for reducing ammo that you wont summarily dismiss?

Of course, if there's a more legitimate reason than "I got shot so make it harder to shoot me!", I'd readily consider it.

E-z, you can think I'm a dick all you want, but whom of us appears to be one with such language?

You may not agree with what I say, but with my military experience, I do believe I have just a little more of a weighted opinion than some others. I know exactly what it takes to overthrow a government, maintain positive control of a hostile situation or resolve a potential one, employ escalation of force, coordinate fire and maneuver, gain and maintain fire superiority, etc.

What I suggest, like a few others in multiple other threads, is that Non-Lethal weapons be added to the game (tazers, rubber bullets/pellets, batons, knock-out gas, etc.) These would not kill you, nor make even a medium amount of sound. They would, however, render you unconscious for an undetermined amount of time (between 1-5 minutes.) The time limit, in my opinion, is more than enough to disarm a hostile target, begin egress, and escape possible danger. There need to possibilities for escalation of force and force continuum, more so than what can currently be implemented in this game. Voice and warning shots currently are not enough to completely resolve a situation without ending someone's life in the end.

Dallas, perhaps, after the non-lethal suggestion has been implemented, the slight limitation

of ammunition could be possible (reduced in order to attempt a balance between deadly and non-lethal options.) I will agree that perhaps before this game/mod became so popular, the bandits were of a different class/somewhat honor-bound. But unfortunately, with change of civility, so must the actions of multiple groups change to contend with this.

Of course' date=' if there's a more legitimate reason than "I got shot so make it harder to shoot me!", I'd readily consider it.

[/quote']

I got no problems with dying, becuase takes 30 min to find an alicepack, a .45 and an assault rifle. I just remember when you were able to meet strangers and feeling the rush of trying to figure out whether they were humane survivors, straight up killers or devious backstabbers. This entire aspect has dissapeared from the game, you don't talk to strangers in direct chat, they either shoot at you or disconnect.

Wow. I didn't realize people weren't thinking more when playing this. :P

So you kill another player for their ammo. What are the chances that they have the type of ammo you want? Why would the other player have a lot of ammo if ammo is rare? Why would you waste two magazines in a firefight to loot one?

It would also make life harder for the camping snipers. Right now when you find a DMR you always find at least two magazines which is more then enough to lie down on a hill and snipe easy targets for no reason. If you had three bullets though, you would't waste them like this.

This game should stay scary and it isn't scary when you feel well equipped! It's as simple as that!

The true way to reduce ammo, is not to reduce spawns, but to increase zombie count and their durability.

Atm DayZ is more a murder sim than a survival sim.

Remember the book/movie The Road' date=' where the man has a revolver with two rounds. Where his constant dilemma is whether to save them for himself and the kid or use them to kill. Maybe it would have been another movie if he'd had a shopping cart full of ammunition or a sexed up assault rifle or if the kid was a child prodegy biathlon champion with a preference towards dual wielding desert eagles John Woo style.

Imagine if weapons and ammo was reduced in DayZ. Where you'd be forced to conserve your rounds for special occations and couldn't just relog to refill your magazines. You might get lucky to find a weapon, maybe extremely lucky and find some ammo too, but since you only had a handful of rounds, you wouldn't waste them on the first noob survivor on the beach, who probably wouldn't have anything as valuable as the round it would take to kill him. Maybe you wouldn't waste your ammo, maybe you were all out of ammo, so instead of killing him on sight, you'd try to bluff him and go: "Hand over your beans ...or else?!" Noob just might cough up his beans, noob might make a run for it. Maybe you'd shoot him in the back, maybe you couldn't justify the couple of buttels and let him run off.

Instead of turning bandits into something magical 6th sense easy to detect or punnish them for not participating in the all out coop love parade, how about we try out limiting access to 30round assault rifles and piles of magazines? Limit assault weapons to military instalations and only spawn double-barreled, Enfields and Cz 550 in deer stands.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

[img']http://i50.tinypic.com/ddniup.jpg

Actually your suggestion would have the exact opposite effect. Any time there is less of anything in this game world then it is more valuable and murdering someone for it is deemed necessary. That is what sparked the bean wars and if there was less ammo it would surely be saved to use on other players. You can't go around shooting zombies in cities less they aggro the infinitely spawning horde on you so guns would only be used to kill others.

Also a solo player would be in a far worse position. I don't want the game to froce me to play with others to survive. If you want less ammo play on a high pop server where the spawns have been ransacked constantly. It is hard enough to find good loot on a 50 plus server giving out less would just make people chase each other around with axes and crowbars.

Also if ammo was rare after you died you would spend far too long trying to find a workable gun against people with rifles and ammo it is bad enough when pro's go to major cities and snipe camp people with nothing making their advantage higher won't make the situation better.

Some players just want to grief no matter what you do in game I have been shot with leet gear by the coast and had all my gear waiting for me when I respawned . They didnt even bother to loot me. Why then did they shoot me? Because thats what they consider fun. Most organized groups have tents and multiple high end weapons and will treat the apocalypse like a shooting gallery. That is just a fact of the game unbalancing it to favor peace goes in contrast to the stated ethic of making a world where the players evolve the game through choice.

I would much prefer they made characters more individual and gave us routes of learned progression that would give us value and make shooters think twice about simply killing everyone they met....at least till they benefited from your skill...whatever that may be....

Wow. I didn't realize people weren't thinking more when playing this. :P

So you kill another player for their ammo. What are the chances that they have the type of ammo you want? Why would the other player have a lot of ammo if ammo is rare? Why would you waste two magazines in a firefight to loot one?

It would also make life harder for the camping snipers. Right now when you find a DMR you always find at least two magazines which is more then enough to lie down on a hill and snipe easy targets for no reason. If you had three bullets though' date=' you would't waste them like this.

This game should stay scary and it isn't scary when you feel well equipped! It's as simple as that!

[/quote']

People don't care if they get the same ammo if they are running low they will just kill you take your gun and use that. Your just twisting logic to fit your argument the fact is lowering ammo won't stop PKers if you can't stand them solo I suggest trying to join a clan so you have less to fear. Unbalancing the game to favor people in groups will never be a good idea.

I think people should also consider that accoriding to the recent .2 patch notes that modifications to the engine allow for more players per server and more zombies so naturally there will be less ammo because more people will be spawning to use it.

Actually your suggestion would have the exact opposite effect. Any time there is less of anything in this game world then it is more valuable and murdering someone for it is deemed necessary. That is what sparked the bean wars and if there was less ammo it would surely be saved to use on other players. You can't go around shooting zombies in cities less they aggro the infinitely spawning horde on you so guns would only be used to kill others.

It's just my experience that anyone I meet either flees, shoots or disconnect, because they expect I kill on sight like everybody else. If everyone KOS, new players assumes that tactic after their first attempts of being friendly. If everyone KOS, it can hardly get much worse.

+1

Lower ammunition spawns on .50 cals and all of that other childish nonsense.

That would lower pointless murder guaranteed.

+1

Lower ammunition spawns on .50 cals and all of that other childish nonsense.

That would lower pointless murder guaranteed.

You need to read the patch notes. The reason snipers are so snipe happy now isnt because they need to lower ammo it is because ammo is infinite' date=' if you reload then relog on most leat weapons your ammo currently resets to full wich is fixed in the as yet unreleased patch, so that bug is why snipers are so prevelent the ammo is already limited when the bug is fixed the number of people capable of sniping continuously will drop.

Rocket also added a feature that improved game performance by 50% so more zombies and survivors can spawn per server in .2 ...with more people compeating there will naturally be less ammo.

Untill the latest patch launches we don't even know if this is an issue, although personally I prefer the conflict because without it the game has no endgame. Currently past the first hour when you get your alice pack and starter supplies there is nothing more to the game except pvp. Limiting that without adding in anything would kill the game.

[hr']

It's just my experience that anyone I meet either flees' date=' shoots or disconnect, because they expect I kill on sight like everybody else. If everyone KOS, new players assumes that tactic after their first attempts of being friendly. If everyone KOS, it can hardly get much worse.

[/quote']

People can still kill on site with axes....and melee in this game is horrible...I promise you if you if they reduce ammo to far...you will see a ton of nubs running around hatcheting each other and the pro's will still be sniping them off with the few leet weapons they collected it will just make the game worse for newer players and easier for pro's .

The problem is new players don't do the research needed for this game and have no idea where to go to get food weapons or ammo and they are drawn to the two main cities and their death at the hands of better equiped pro's time and time again....that is what the Day Z wiki is for so people can learn the game and spawn locations and get better at the game...many beginners dont know what the shock condition symbol means or why they cant stand up and there is a broken chicken leg on the side of their screen....when they are asking things like this in chat it is a prety good indicator they shouldn't be on the forums asking for buffs or nerfs to things like many of these posters are...

Precisely. Dramatically reduce ammo and it becomes far more valuable. It's scarcity makes it desirable, but means you can't afford to waste it shooting people on the off-chance that they have more than you do (and will still have after the fight). After all you can't see how much ammo someone is carrying (I think some posters in this thread are neglecting that fact.) If ammo is scarce, shooting on sight will see you run out very quickly unless you are very lucky (and you have to ask yourself....). Ergo, you won't shoot on sight.

Precisely. Dramatically reduce ammo and it becomes far more valuable. It's scarcity makes it desirable' date=' but means you can't afford to waste it shooting people on the off-chance that they have more than you do (and will still have after the fight). After all you can't see how much ammo someone is carrying (I think some posters in this thread are neglecting that fact.) If ammo is scarce, shooting on sight will see you run out very quickly unless you are very lucky (and you have to ask yourself....). Ergo, you won't shoot on sight.

[/quote']

Again for the 50th time nubs ....

1. READ THE PATCH NOTES THEY DO NOT NEED TO REDUCE AMMO. THERE IS CURRENTLY AN AMMO BUG THAT ALLOWS IT TO REFILL INFINITELY THAT IS BEING REMOVED FROM THE GAME IN .2

2. UNDER THE NEW PATCH 50% PERFORMANCE UPGRADE WILL ALLOW FOR MORE ZOMBIES AND SURVIVORS PER SERVER THUS LESS AMMO FOR YOU TO COLLECT BECAUSE OF MORE COMPETITION UNTILL THE PATCH LAUNCHES WE HAVE NO IDEA IF IT WILL BE BALANCED CORRECTLY STOP ASKING FOR THINGS ALREADY FIXED IN UNRELEASED PATCHES....

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=18575

moderator please lock this nonsense whine thread....I left my cheese in my gillie suit...

I'm all for the reduced ammo, but not reduced weapons. Weapon spawns are fine imo it it JUST the ammo that is too common.

For those saying murder rate will go up because of people killing for ammo, congrats banditry actually means something instead of mindless slaughter. the murder rate will still go down since there are people who will no longer be shooting every unarmed / hatchet survivor on the coast. And up north if you've just looted NW and see another person headed to it then you can probably surmise that they're on their way to get ammo and choose to exfil silently instead of taking potshots at him because "he might threaten your survival".

@Hendrix

I'm not discounting that 1.7.2s tracking of ammo counts will make things more inline. But I think you put too much faith into it, I can still visit any airbase / military tents and find more ammo than I would have gained by relogging into the server. As for the more players / zombies argument, you are aware some servers work on reduced player counts right now right, just because they CAN have more doesn't necessarily mean that the server admins will want to increase the count.

moderator please lock this nonsense whine thread....I left my cheese in my gillie suit...

No one is compelling you to read this thread if you think it's nonsense, and especially as it makes you so irate. Someone has kindly made a suggestion, others are commenting. Perhaps I haven't read the patch notes, but I haven't read a lot of things. I have, however, read the Little Book of Calm. I recommend it.

I'm all for the reduced ammo' date=' but not reduced weapons. Weapon spawns are fine imo it it JUST the ammo that is too common.

For those saying murder rate will go up because of people killing for ammo, congrats banditry actually means something instead of mindless slaughter. the murder rate will still go down since there are people who will no longer be shooting every unarmed / hatchet survivor on the coast. And up north if you've just looted NW and see another person headed to it then you can probably surmise that they're on their way to get ammo and choose to exfil silently instead of taking potshots at him because "he might threaten your survival".

[/quote']

The murder rate will not go down because it is the only thing the game has to offer. If you knew the first thing about playing this game you would know within an hour you can have the tools for infinite food and water. If you can hunt and make infinite meat steaks and refill a canteen when your thirsty what do you do then? go hide in the woods where no one can find you and see how long you can live out your days or go find someone to fight for some fun.

Everyone chooses the latter response because the game has zip to offer after you get the infinite food and drink loop started. If your too new to know what you need and how to get it I suggest going to the day Z wiki and learning loot spawns with 3 airports a helo crash sight and over a dozen deer stands there is a ton of leet gear to find in the game.

Limiting ammo will only help the leet players and won't stop the killing a lick. It will make people more liable to shoot you. If they make ammo rare my thought process would be well he is in the city and has a newer backpack so he must have something not...hey lets be friends you couldn't possibly want to shoot me in my gillie suit could you? Agression is always assumed and any advantage will always be taken. Thats the whole premise of the game your not going to force people to play differently no matter what you do...a griefer will always grief even with an axe and the rest of us will kill out of fear and self preservation instinct.....

Also read the patch notes this is a non issue because the infinite ammo bug was fixed and there will be more people per server and more zombies post .2 ...this thread needs closed by a moderator it is pointless.

I still have no problem with being killed by bandits. I'm just saying: Remember a couple of weeks ago' date=' where it was possible to meet a stranger, who didn't automatically murder you on sight. Where there were a chance that the survivor you meet looting a supermarket with enought loot for two, wouldn't instinctly shoot on sight, you'd both get what you needed, exchange a few good words and each go on his merry way. You heart was still racing, because bandits and random murderers still existed back then, but it wasn't guaranteed that every encounter would be a lethal one and sometimes a little trust/humanity was rewarded with a nice little moment of friendliness. Back then it was still possibly to meet others, who were actually more interested in survival, than murder.

These days new players learn to either shy all human contact or KOS. Pure PvP was never the fascinating aspect of DayZ, just like pure PvE wouldn't be either. It was the confusing mix of both modes, where coop and competative players would interact, to combat mistrust or to abuse trust to backstab and murder. At this point there's is only mistrust and rampant killing, no use for direct chat, other than to shout obcenities, before killing or dying. The only social interactions are clans/communities on external voice programs, killing anyone but their peers on sight.

Whether the reload bug is fixed or not, there's still any more assault weapons and piles of ammunition, than boxes of matches in Chernarus. If you want to live off the land peacefully, it's easier to kill someone for their survival equipment, than to try to find it yourself.

The murder rate will not go down because it is the only thing the game has to offer.

Well the murder rate seems to have reached the celing, since everyone KOS and yes at the moment killing is pretty much everything the mod has to offer, but it wasn't like that a couple of weeks ago.

@Hendrx:

I would ask that you go back an read my edit that is adressed to you regarding the patch notes. As for the PvP choice, that's fine and dandy that you want to go back and kill mindlessly, it'll just leave you with less ammo when a group of anti-bandits comes after you.

I agree that PvP is a necessary part of this however, fighting an unarmed / hatchet survivor is not PvP. PvP denotes that both parties have a chance at success, what you are doing is merely a form of destructive PvE.

Rarer ammo might make people more likely to shoot you in the inital stages while people think that everyone else has a stockpile of ammo. But once people realize they are doing nothing but wasting bullets on empty survivors I'm willing to bet that the murder rate will drop.

I agree, the spawns of ammo is too common, mostly shotgun, markov, and enfield ammo. If you want this to me a simulator, then ammo has to be a rare item.

"But how am I suppose to kill zeds?"

An easy solution is to add more melee weapons suck as 2x4s, Bats, Metal Pipes, Shovels (Entrenching Tool), Knives, so on. You can have both 2 handed and single handed melee weapons. Right now the ax can kill a zed in 1-2 hits and the same can be said for players (tested).

Another option, add non-lethal weapons such as tasers, flash bangs, beanbag shotgun shells, and tear gas to temporary stun or knock out both players and zeds. These items and ammo would be just as rare as the rarest weapons in the game.

Lastly I suggest the idea of body armor and riot shield to protect players from being 1 hit killed from other players or to survive hordes of zeds. Body armor can reduce damage, but also slows down the running speed of the player, while a riot shield takes up a primary weapon slot and deflects bullets.

I still have no problem with being killed by bandits. I'm just saying: Remember a couple of weeks ago' date=' where it was possible to meet a stranger, who didn't automatically murder you on sight. Where there were a chance that the survivor you meet looting a supermarket with enought loot for two, wouldn't instinctly shoot on sight, you'd both get what you needed, exchange a few good words and each go on his merry way. You heart was still racing, because bandits and random murderers still existed back then, but it wasn't guaranteed that every encounter would be a lethal one and sometimes a little trust/humanity was rewarded with a nice little moment of friendliness. Back then it was still possibly to meet others, who were actually more interested in survival, than murder.

These days new players learn to either shy all human contact or KOS. Pure PvP was never the fascinating aspect of DayZ, just like pure PvE wouldn't be either. It was the confusing mix of both modes, where coop and competative players would interact, to combat mistrust or to abuse trust to backstab and murder. At this point there's is only mistrust and rampant killing, no use for direct chat, other than to shout obcenities, before killing or dying. The only social interactions are clans/communities on external voice programs, killing anyone but their peers on sight.

Whether the reload bug is fixed or not, there's still any more assault weapons and piles of ammunition, than boxes of matches in Chernarus. If you want to live off the land peacefully, it's easier to kill someone for their survival equipment, than to try to find it yourself.

The murder rate will not go down because it is the only thing the game has to offer.

Well the murder rate seems to have reached the celing, since everyone KOS and yes at the moment killing is pretty much everything the mod has to offer, but it wasn't like that a couple of weeks ago.

1. Player behavior is learned through experience. No one is going to revert to not killing on sight after having it happen to them because if they work for hours on a character or days and weeks that sting of losing a geared player a tent and a ton of weapons is sitting with them the fear of dying will cause shoot on site that is why they removed starter weapons so that when you first start you can party up and form a group of weaponless survivors with nothing and get going that way. If you refuse to do that, that is not the games fault.

2. Killing people is harder then finding what you want and living off the land is mind numbingly easy if you know the spawn locations and game mechanics...

http://twitch.tv/hanibalhendrix/b/323078670

note I have zero zombie or player kills.... If I opened my menu you would find a chez backpack a match book an axe and a hunting knife about 12 meat steaks 4 canteens of water a 45 revolver with 4 ammo refills 5 morphine and 5 pain pills ...every item I got I got in one of the starter cities within the first hour of gameplay, except for the rifle ...a DRM I got first by making a mad dash for the airfield from the spawn and then sneaking out....

again zero zombie or player kills....sorry your hypothesis is incorrect. If you want to play peacefully you can...easily...

The problem is that now I can make infinite food and water so what would you do if you are me? Go find a hill somewhere and lay prone for hours at a time waiting till I need to refill my last water canteen or meat steak so I can climb the all time ladders?

Or go hunt a player or explore a village for a tent and some things I dont have like a map or gps or more rifle ammo ect.

I actually prefr not to kill but my rule is if you approach with a gun out you die (period)

rifles can be slung you can approach with a flashlight not just the ominous "any friendlies around here" that has me assuming your a bandit that thinks I'm an idiot. If you have my class gear or better would you risk a friendly hello with some random noob that just started playing the game?

I play alone I have zero backup....my survival is dependant on me. If I had a clan or a group of people I played with I would be less aggressive because of safety in numbers. That said I don't so I am ruthless when need be but thats the point in this game.

Survival isn't one predetermined thing that only you choose to define it is whatever everyone playing makes it. So my behavior is determined by me....I could risk my gillie suit and go wait at the beach and make friends but I choose to say that is too risky and the chance of somone backstabbing me is too high...it is all a choice. Nothing is defined or forced on me by the developer.

I would prefer if there were some unique talents every survivor brought to the table so that you felt like individuals had something to offer and there wouldn't be a reason to kill everyone on sight but as it is the game doesn't support class or talents and till there are more unique items in game to make individuals lives worth something the PKers will always grief because they choose to go the easy route....

Just remember that is their choice though...you can get geared without it....

I will add I also see nothing wrong with server hopping as it is currently in the game as a mechanic as much as goblin farming in diablo 3. I didnt use that to get any of my gear or items though ....so pls stop acting like it is impossible not to PK people because gear collection is too hard, if you pk it is because you choose to ....people are doing what they want to do....just because it is safer to do doesn't mean you didn't have a choice not to shoot first.

"couldn't just relog to refill your magazines"

>uses ammo gaining exploits

>complains ammo is too easy to find

I believe that making ammo for high military guns very rare then this could calm the situation because you can take someone else's gun and remove the ammo.

Ex. Player A see player with same gun. Player A kills player B..but all player B has was the same gun with a few rounds in the gun, no spare. Player A just wasted 1-4 rounds / depending on the gun.

What will happen is Players A ,B , and C all have military guns- there is no point of killing each other since it will be a waste of ammo. They will team up or leave each other alone,..or kill each other if they feel that they are a threat.

And if your the player who is getting killed- you should just fire all your rounds before you pass out and bleed out- now the person who killed you gets less.

I believe that making ammo for high military guns very rare then this could calm the situation because you can take someone else's gun and remove the ammo.

Ex. Player A see player with same gun. Player A kills player B..but all player B has was the same gun with a few rounds in the gun' date=' no spare. Player A just wasted 1-4 rounds / depending on the gun.

What will happen is Players A ,B , and C all have military guns- there is no point of killing each other since it will be a waste of ammo. They will team up or leave each other alone,..or kill each other if they feel that they are a threat.

And if your the player who is getting killed- you should just fire all your rounds before you pass out and bleed out- now the person who killed you gets less.

[/quote']

Players kill each other out of boredome I have been shot countless times and not even looted because peope find it fun.... griefers exist because this game has no endgame and that is not going to change in the upcoming patch.

Howerver if you read the patch notes they have made several changes that will affect the ammo situation this thread is pointless.

No one has played the patch except the devs. saying there is a problem when the infinite ammo bug is patched out in .2 and there will be more zombies and players and a random chance for zombies to spot people prone or in crouch in .2 and thus a need to use more ammo is just speculation and a waste of time.

Please lock this pointless thread mods and any more like it...

Howerver if you read the patch notes they have made several changes that will affect the ammo situation this thread is pointless.

Please lock this pointless thread mods and any more like it...

Did you hear that everyone? Hendrix says this thread is pointless. We should leave... Or maybe, the one guy out of all of us who thinks it's pointless should leave, and the rest of us who have some imagination and don't think it's pointless should stay?

Congratulations on reading patch notes. You're not the only one. There will still be too much ammo.

Make ammo only available through unreliable spawns like helicopter crashes. This raises the bar quite high for people who just want to kill for fun.

Again for the 50th time nubs ....

1. READ THE PATCH NOTES THEY DO NOT NEED TO REDUCE AMMO. THERE IS CURRENTLY AN AMMO BUG THAT ALLOWS IT TO REFILL INFINITELY THAT IS BEING REMOVED FROM THE GAME IN .2

2. UNDER THE NEW PATCH 50% PERFORMANCE UPGRADE WILL ALLOW FOR MORE ZOMBIES AND SURVIVORS PER SERVER THUS LESS AMMO FOR YOU TO COLLECT BECAUSE OF MORE COMPETITION UNTILL THE PATCH LAUNCHES WE HAVE NO IDEA IF IT WILL BE BALANCED CORRECTLY STOP ASKING FOR THINGS ALREADY FIXED IN UNRELEASED PATCHES....

Ehm. Yes I know about the exploit. So what?

I still don't see the point here. What's saying there can't be more zombies and less ammo? I want to feel HELPLESS in the game! I want the despair! I want to be forced to play smart to survive, not cheat with a map showing me deerstands and stockpile so I can go Arnold and roleplay as a tank. As soon as I feel safe in the game, I think the game has failed.

So I am a nub because I want to make the game harder and more tense? Huhuhum?