Sign in to follow this  
Cydone

"Vehicle component design"

would be kind of cool to see the components working all together, a story behind it like this old beat up tire that you will visually see on the car, or being able to get an all-rubber tire so they cant be shot out, bullet proof glass for certain cars, i guess itll be one hell of a learning curve for some :) including myself :D

To be fair they were the end game in the mod.  In a game with hardly anything to do to begin with, end game doesn't mean much =P

You could consider an AKM the end game currently.

Or it could be that you have different priorities than other people.

And if you consider something you can find in a junkyard to be end game, I feel sorry for your lack of imagination. I, for one, am having fun with a community group finding tents to establish our "town" and hunting food.

Or it could be that you have different priorities than other people.

And if you consider something you can find in a junkyard to be end game, I feel sorry for your lack of imagination. I, for one, am having fun with a community group finding tents to establish our "town" and hunting food.

I mean that's sorta exactly my point.  The end game is what you make it in dayz, so rocket saying vehicles are "end game" doesn't say much at all.

And I don't find AKMs to be my own personal end game, as I don't care for them, it was just an example as I know a lot of people are into decked out AKMs or m4s or whatever but thanks for the passive aggressive insult =P

I still dislike the term "end game" in how it's used. Both as a fixed point toward which all players are supposed to strive, and, as a pick-your-own end game type of deal (even though I much prefer the latter than the former, but both are still flawed).

I'd like to see the "end game" of DayZ become a process, rather than a fixed point at which one can say "Yep, I've made it, I have X, therefore I've conquered the game."

Nothing should ever be taken for granted, which is why I want things to decay gradually (just an example). So that a constant turnover and demand is created for things, so even when you reach that point where you're at a supposed "end game" you're both at risk of losing said "end game" to players/decay/zombies/whatever and you have to constantly maintain whatever it is that you consider to be an "end game" (i.e. vehicle part decay, gasoline, ammunition for your weapon, cleaning kits, batteries, etc.)

I mean that's sorta exactly my point.  The end game is what you make it in dayz, so rocket saying vehicles are "end game" doesn't say much at all.

And I don't find AKMs to be my own personal end game, as I don't care for them, it was just an example as I know a lot of people are into decked out AKMs or m4s or whatever but thanks for the passive aggressive insult =P

Rocket has already stated more than a few times that there are plans for end game type content. So that's something you'd have to take up with him.

I suppose you chose a poor example then.

Rocket has already stated more than a few times that there are plans for end game type content. So that's something you'd have to take up with him.

I suppose you chose a poor example then.

I don't know what you're not understanding here.  Vehicles were the end game content of the mod, it didn't necessarily reflect the difficulty in obtaining them.  Simply saying something is "end game" does not indicate how difficult it is, beyond that it is more difficult than the standard gameplay.  Getting a helicopter was essentially the pinnacle of "end game" content in the mod, but wasn't terribly difficult at all.

Rocket saying vehicles will be end game tells us nothing significant, so citing him saying such doesn't tell us anything and isn't useful, especially in the context of the post you were replying to.  I'm not taking it up with rocket, because rocket's not here, I'm taking it up with you because you are using his statement, which is largely meaningless.  I'm challenging you to back it up, beyond saying "well rocket said it's end game so that means it must be difficult" in a post in response to some one saying it shouldn't take 30 hours to do something.

Aside from that, as pointed out, end game can be subjective per player.

My example was pretty good actually, because a large majority of players do consider a decked out gun to be "end game" currently.

My first post was meant to be lighthearted, but you have a pretty sour attitude guy =P

Edited by Bororm

I see vehicles as a powerful force multiplier and a time-saver in completing otherwise arduous tasks.

Want to build a base out of logs and cement blocks? Have fun hauling all of that on foot back and forth, one log at a time. With a vehicle, 3 hours of commuting back and forth for materials is drastically reduced.

Need to meet up with a freshly spawned buddy? Picking him up in your sweet UAZ will make the process 10 times faster.

I don't think that vehicles should necessarily be the final stage of the "end-game", but risking a vehicle for some ballsy balota loot run on a full server should not be a common occurrence. Once you have a vehicle running and in your possession, maintaining and protecting it should be of higher importance than any other piece of equipment you possess.

I don't know what you're not understanding here.  Vehicles were the end game content of the mod, it didn't necessarily reflect the difficulty in obtaining them.  Simply saying something is "end game" does not indicate how difficult it is, beyond that it is more difficult than the standard gameplay.  Getting a helicopter was essentially the pinnacle of "end game" content in the mod, but wasn't terribly difficult at all.

Rocket saying vehicles will be end game tells us nothing significant, so citing him saying such doesn't tell us anything and isn't useful, especially in the context of the post you were replying to.  I'm not taking it up with rocket, because rocket's not here, I'm taking it up with you because you are using his statement, which is largely meaningless.  I'm challenging you to back it up, beyond saying "well rocket said it's end game so that means it must be difficult" in a post in response to some one saying it shouldn't take 30 hours to do something.

Aside from that, as pointed out, end game can be subjective per player.

My example was pretty good actually, because a large majority of players do consider a decked out gun to be "end game" currently.

My first post was meant to be lighthearted, but you have a pretty sour attitude guy =P

I think your misunderstanding is that there was no end game in the mod. The end game was what you made of it. Contrast with what the developer is stating about adding end game content to the stand alone. That is a far cry from "the end game is what you make it". As it stands now there is no end game. But, as stated innumerable times, this is alpha, so that is a pointless discussion, thus your poor example. You can't have an end game when the game is far from completion.

Further, there is a difference between player end game and intended end game. You can take whatever game and set whatever goal and say "that's my end game". But that's not the same as the developer-intended end game.

So, to rehash;

Rocket stated vehicles were intended for end game content.

End game content generally is not considered to be easily achieved in the gaming world.

THUS vehicles should not be easily achieved by the player.

Further, your claim that making vehicles hard will turn off the majority is completely unsubstantiated other than your own personal bias. As of now, you're making pure speculation with nothing to support it. 30 hours? Only lasting one hour? Hardly anyone will bother? Purely hyperbole with a side of whine.

Sour? No. Just factual and critical.

There was a post long long ago that someone(either it was a engineer or mechanic) was saying the main components necessary for a vehicle to work. It wasnt a huge list but it was pretty decent and I think Rocket even thought it looked pretty good. I would imagine they will be looking more towards that direction in deciding what parts are needed for a vehicle in DayZ

I feel like if they make vehicles too hard to obtain, hardly anyone will bother. I mean you can traverse the map just fine on foot. Not that I wouldn't like to drive a car along these many many roads, but if I have to invest maybe thirty hours to get one working for an hour, I think I'd rather like to take a 'meh' approach to it xD

Thats when you search for peoples vehicles instead :) Use to spend hours combing the edge of the map to see if we can find peoples vehicles hidden. In ending, we "obtained" a nice stash of about 3 motorcycles, 2 quads. a bike, and a few other vehicles as well. 

As far as them lasting a hour, well thats based on player interaction moreso. Also, dont run into trees -.-

Edited by cels

Rocket already said cars would be a sort of "end game". Making them not so difficult to obtain seems a bit like throwing away the "end game".

Well but here's the thing: How does this particular "end game" content give me an edge over other players? Say you find one of these funny little red cars and you want to repair it. Since there's no way to lug the whole chassis with the body around, you have to repair it where it is. If there are too many very particular parts you need, you will spend a lot of time there. And you will need lots of people to effectively defend that thing on a full server while you repair it - many more than you can actually fit IN that car.

So just for the heck of it, let's say you manage to repair the car and get it driving. In our SA Chernarus that's being peppered with new towns and cities practically in spitting distance from one another, driving a car like that exposes you. Nothing else. Or do you plan on creeping over meadows and forests with that little car with walking speed? xD

Edited by James Hawke

Just please please PLEASE do not make them as fragile and explosion-prone as the Arma 3 vehicles.

I dont think they could make them worse than ISS. 3 hits by a zombie used to destroy them ha ha

I think dayz mod type vehicle repair was enough. only few times I got a car running. If you realism faggots get what you want then only large clans will have vehicles and lots of us who play maybe with couple of friends will be screwn over. I just dont think this should be made over complicate.

No one is thinking about tools! Yes they spawn everywhere now, but once vehicles are in game I bet we wont be able to find pliers or wrench anywhere!

I think that spreading parts over several servers is a bad idea. I get where rocket is coming from, wanting the community to say where each part is. But lets be real, if you find a car part, you hide it and you go look for the other parts yourself, no one is going to give it away. I bet people even just hide it on purpose, not going to use it, just so other people can't find that one part.

The vehicle building and all is good, but keep the components servers sided, the map is big enough to hide all the stuff. On the mod it was the same thing all stuff could be found server sided, it was rare (specially for the helicopter), but at leas manageable. And I did not see every single player driving around in a car, it still took a fair amount of time to build one.

What if those vehicle "parts" ends up on a password protected server?

As I understand it, that won't be possible.

The main public hive will not allow passworded servers, while the private shards will operate inside their own loot distribution system. You won't be able to carry a character or any loot between the two. That's how I've interpreted the information, anyway.

seems like a bit much with the oil coolers, spark plugs, timing belts. Spend 30 hours fixing up a ride, only to get sniped or KO'd by zombie and lose it all.  That and most cars will be spawning around cities, unless there is someway to move a disabled car you are gonna be building it out in the open.  A better idea may be having working, but damaged cars to begin with (alignment off, very slow) and at least then you can take it to a secure location to restore it to full potential. Also, unless they add rocket launchers or craftable bombs, you have zero chance against a car in an open field with a sks or pistol.

Just give me a bike, let me peddle it home, and then I can bolt up small motor to it and be on my way.

How are you going to carry a helicopter rotar blade? Aren't they about 20 metres long or something, maybe you could just stick it in your pocket...? :/

It's going to be quite amusing seeing fully decked guys in military combat gear riding a bicycle.

Edited by Ben_uk

seems like a bit much with the oil coolers, spark plugs, timing belts. Spend 30 hours fixing up a ride, only to get sniped or KO'd by zombie and lose it all.  That and most cars will be spawning around cities, unless there is someway to move a disabled car you are gonna be building it out in the open.  A better idea may be having working, but damaged cars to begin with (alignment off, very slow) and at least then you can take it to a secure location to restore it to full potential. Also, unless they add rocket launchers or craftable bombs, you have zero chance against a car in an open field with a sks or pistol.

Just give me a bike, let me peddle it home, and then I can bolt up small motor to it and be on my way.

boohoooo...I dont want take a risk!! Off course it will be dangerous. And you will have to work as team. One in team will be mechanic, others will be suport. If you dont have team, then you will have to go to popular hiding locations and steal someones car.

Well but here's the thing: How does this particular "end game" content give me an edge over other players? Say you find one of these funny little red cars and you want to repair it. Since there's no way to lug the whole chassis with the body around, you have to repair it where it is. If there are too many very particular parts you need, you will spend a lot of time there. And you will need lots of people to effectively defend that thing on a full server while you repair it - many more than you can actually fit IN that car.

So just for the heck of it, let's say you manage to repair the car and get it driving. In our SA Chernarus that's being peppered with new towns and cities practically in spitting distance from one another, driving a car like that exposes you. Nothing else. Or do you plan on creeping over meadows and forests with that little car with walking speed? xD

Perhaps we should wait until the actual product comes out before we start criticizing it?