ebrim

What should and shouldn't open cans

So lets talk can openers and improvised can openers.

What got me thinking about this was how we can use an axe to open cans... This doesn't really feel right to me, I mean, I'm sure it's possible but if we're losing a lot of food with a machete you'd probably lose far more with an axe. That we can't use a crowbar at all is just bizarre as one would think that would be far more useful for the task than an axe (all those round bendy sharp bits). I also worry that too many people get away with just running around with an axe as an all-purpose super omni-tool. I'm thinking the crowbar should open cans and the axe not so much (if we get a hatchet later, might be a different story). So what tools do you guys think should or should not have this ever so critical can opening capability?

Trust me, opening a can with an axe is a lot easier than it would be with a crowbar...

• Like 2

Should be able to bang cans open on any rock in the game IMO

• Like 2

I'd personally like to see a combination of tools to open cans. A screwdriver on its own is going to be a bitch to open a can with. But all those hammers lying around? Instant chisel action. Same with a sickle: place the pointy end on the lid of the can, bang with a hammer, and you at least puncture it. Maybe you can even just swing downward on the can to do the same, then yank the sickle along the edge of the can to open.

With an axe, I'd imaging putting the can down on the floor and splitting it in half. You lose a good amount of the food, but it still makes sense.

Using a crowbar to open a can sounds dreadful. How exactly would it be easier than a sharp axe that we can swing downward to pretty much guarantee opening a can? :P

• Like 2

Right now, the machete is not more than a butter-knife in my opinion (too short and "small"), so according to the game, opening a can with this machete should spill ~10-25% of the can, I believe.

I mean, opening with a big axe should at least spill 30%, if not 50%+

The axe has a sharpened edge to pierce the can, rather than a crowbar which is used for prying. I agree though that more food should be lost with an axe. Not sure how much is lost with a machete but it should be less than an axe.

If I was in a damned survival situation, starving my ass off, and I cut open a can of bacon with my knife and half of it dropped on the floor I'd still get down on the floor and eat that shit like a dog.

Edited by Bad Company
  • Like 2

So I suppose that yeah, a down swing with an axe could open a can just as well as a mining pick (which can't) or shovel or whatever. I was imagining trying to be a bit more careful which is why I was thinking the crowbar may be slightly better suited to careful work just due to it having a more interesting design (using the head like you'd use notch in a doorframe to open a bottle). No idea though, I've never had to try it. :D I do like the idea of combining tools, that at least sounds interesting.

If I was in a damned survival situation, starving my ass fof, and I cut open a can of bacon with my knife and half of it dropped on the floor I'd still get down on the floor and eat that shit like a dog.

Damn straight.

Apparently, our characters in the Standalone are too prissy to actually survive. 

"I opened the can of food, but dropped some on the floor" 

Me: Oh well, scoop that shit up and eat it. Most food in cans is already cooked, so you can't get sick by eating it.

Day Z SA: OH NO IGNORE IT BURN THE UNCLEAN I DIDNT WANT IT ANYWAYS GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Do composite arrows have metal arrowheads? They should be able to open cans too if so. Improvised arrows are wooden heads, so that shouldn't do the trick.

Well, if we're being realistic - you should be able to walk up to anything concrete and rub the can on it to open it. And look - hardly anything is spilled, works as good as a can opener! Let's be realistic and add this to the game so I don't need to waste inventory slots on things to open cans with!

• Like 1

Realistically..I could use just about any somewhat pointy object to open a can. As long as said object was hard enough...like a rock or scrap piece of metal.

Of course you could duct tape 4 rifles to your back and bayonets to your wrists and go nutty! If this was REAL but its not B)

• Like 1

If I was in a damned survival situation, starving my ass off, and I cut open a can of bacon with my knife and half of it dropped on the floor I'd still get down on the floor and eat that shit like a dog.

If its an infection thats running around that might get you infected....

Dont get me wrong id do that shit but maybe add some concequences  like sickness lol

But on topic I had to open a can of soup the other night with a fuckin bottle opener and scissors (my can opener at home broke) and it was hard af to do..but worked.

I'd spill it on the floor just so I could force people to eat it.

• Like 1

If its an infection thats running around that might get you infected....

Dont get me wrong id do that shit but maybe add some concequences  like sickness lol

But on topic I had to open a can of soup the other night with a fuckin bottle opener and scissors (my can opener at home broke) and it was hard af to do..but worked.

So the zombievirus would be on the floor, and would instantly mix with the food you spill?

And do you mean to tell me that there are men out there who do NOT carry a backup M9 Bayonet for can-opening, making firewood and removing kebab?

I'd spill it on the floor just so I could force people to eat it.

Gotta wait for 3 second rule to no longer apply though!

I think using an inappropriate tool like a crowbar or a knife to open a can should run the risk of your character accidentally cutting a lump out of his hand.

Edited by Pillock
  • Like 1

Damn straight.

Apparently, our characters in the Standalone are too prissy to actually survive. 

"I opened the can of food, but dropped some on the floor" 

Me: Oh well, scoop that shit up and eat it. Most food in cans is already cooked, so you can't get sick by eating it.

Day Z SA: OH NO IGNORE IT BURN THE UNCLEAN I DIDNT WANT IT ANYWAYS GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Or maybe it's because there's food every where so it's hardly a starving survival situation =P

Why am I going to eat off the floor, when there's another perfectly good can of food in the next house.

So I bury my ax in a zombie's brain raging with a highly contagous zombie virus then I eat beans off it.

Yeah... Sure. Tps reports anyone?

Edited by Zombie Milkman
  • Like 1

So I bury my ax in a zombie's brain raging with a highly contagous zombie virus then I eat beans off it.

Yeah... Sure. Tps reports anyone?

I do hope infection statuses eventually apply to weapons. This would also be a fun way to screw over another player by stabbing him with your zombie screwdriver.