Sign in to follow this  
leviski

Make Hunting Harder

Deer don't travel in herds (groups of 3-5 rarely) and they do not roar.

While they do need to add a bonus to hunted food like they had in the mod, it sounds like some need to buy trophy hunter 2014

Here's a link to a hunting channel I have helped work on/film https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKg4ezAIycYnLkxvHc7DIYw

Heres me shooting a deer during the roar (fallow croak, please notice the sounds of various deer croaking, roaring and large mobs way about your so called "rare" 3-5).

(the quality was sadly down as the main camera died :()

I suggest you look up post rut behavior, fallow mobs, red deer mobs, elk bugle, any deer spieces acutally...

and here's another roar video just in case you missed it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgMhCv5T98 and

and from a friend in New Zealand hunting Wap

I suggest you try hunting and or educate yourself. I'm happy to tell you any more information about deer because you clearly have no fucking idea.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

Deer don't travel in herds (groups of 3-5 rarely)

Maybe next time I'm on the roads in between some farmer's fields when I head to my buddy's a little North I'll try to take a picture of some deer or elk if I get to see some. 12+ in a group sometimes, and they all move together. They like to graze in the fields beside the woods.

Also I feel the urge to post this one again.

• Like 1

Heres me shooting a deer during the roar (fallow croak, please notice the sounds of various deer croaking, roaring and large mobs way about your so called "rare" 3-5).

I suggest you look up post rut behavior, fallow mobs, red deer mobs, elk bugle, any deer spieces acutally...

and here's another roar video just in case you missed it,

and from a friend in New Zealand hunting Wap

I suggest you try hunting and or educate yourself. I'm happy to tell you any more information about deer because you clearly have no fucking idea.

I take it back.  One, possibly a few, species of deer in some random ass country can "roar" (or grunt).  You got me there.

As for any deer species duplicating this, maybe you should educate yourself and not rely on using youtube to do your hunting and fact finding.

Edited by hellcane

Trophy collections? errrr no this isn't a hunting game.

The AI is being worked on but it's never going to be The Hunter.

Who said it's going be the Hunter. It has the potential to integrate realistic hunting as we have a dedicated team for hunting simulation. Did anyone say it is going to be BF4 (for instance) when people speak about war side of it? Then, a hunting simulation mod can include all the specifics of hunting simulator.

Edited by Stalk85

I see no problem with some simple trophies - its a nice gimmick but not a must be.

I take it back.  One, possibly a few, species of deer in some random ass country can "roar" (or grunt).  You got me there.

As for any deer species duplicating this, maybe you should educate yourself and not rely on using youtube to do your hunting and fact finding.

Wow - did you read what you just wrote there? Its full of arrogance and lacks any insight. Its not about "some specific species of deer in some random ass country" being able to roar is about the red deer - the very species* we got in DayZ being able to do this. You are probably talking about roe deer - a species* that would also fit the setting but is not ingame right now.

*Some consider them multiple species.

Edited by Evil Minion

ONLY if Tracking is implemented AND if the stupid 2h from stuffed to death by starvation ridiculously short delay in what call himself a surviving SIMULATOR is fixed.

Also only if animals are not ridiculously rare and if they respawn.

if the stupid 2h from stuffed to death by starvation ridiculously short delay

You misinterpret the "stuffed" state. Its only the capacity of your stomach - you want to be bright green energized at least. There is still plenty of room for calories so you can virtually put on weight to keep going for a long time without eating. You cannot, however, eat all this food at once - cue the "stuffed" state. Also if you are green stuffed you can still eat a good amount - just stay away from the "Eat All" command as eating too much causes you to vomit, losing valuable energy and water (some people say you can restart eating after vomiting but I am not sure if this is up to date).

I would really like to have somewhat realistic animal behavior implemented:

• flight (scenting should be toned down though)
  • searching for food and water (especially water -> moving to ponds)
  • forming of groups/herds
  • in case of mating season some mating behavior like the mentioned roaring
  • nocturnal/diurnal behavior (complete with a higher chance of meeting nocturnal animals at night -> spawns/despawns?)
  • opportunistic predator behavior (please no wolves charging a big group of well armed survivors)
  • authentic population densities (probably a little higher than in real life)
  • tracks (not only for animals but also for humans, zombies and vehicles)
Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1

You misinterpret the "stuffed" state. Its only the capacity of your stomach - you want to be bright green energized at least.

Thanks for the info but i already know, and i'm always energized, i know about calories, i have look here : http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Food_and_Drink#Comparison_Tables and i have always prefer the Canned Tuna, Canned Peaches is too much rare anyway, i almost never see them and the Tuna have for advantage to both be common and don't need can opener, they have the best calories value for canned food (if we forget the rare Peaches) and most important aspect they have small stomach size, so it make them really close to the peaches in fact, that what i eat almost everytimes, and i'm ALWAYS energized, cause i spend more time to eat than look for stuff...

But it still that irl even with poor energy gain food, if you are stuffed, you will NOT be staved almost to death 3 hours after...Human, even with low calories food as a last food consumption can (if he drink) survive several days, some peoples in such case have already survive more than a week, in fact we basically say 30 days without eating, 3 without drinking and 3 minutes without breathing, its a basic, some people have probably die before 30 days while others such as Bobby Sands who have die in 1981 after 66 days without eating.

So yes i understand that this is a game (even if he claim himself to be REALISTIC/surviving simulator) and that we can't have a 30 day before death without eating, cause we spend real time in front of our computer, but damn it die in some hours, is not just slightly hungry, its clearly die in some hours, this is stupid, mainly in a game with a big map where objects is damn rare and we need ridiculously too much amount of time to do anything !

"stuffed to death by starvation" is an example, it goes too fast for nothing, mainly in a game where calories are handle and implemented in the gameplay...

Still thanks for your advice, even if i already know the basic about eating in DayZ, but you have to admit that based on the nature of the game, the slow gameplay and the long-time-to-do-anything gameplay, this is stupid to see ax behind ruined for 3 trees or die from starvation in few hours...

And still i totally agree in 1000000% with your list for the animals ! So you have my beans !

And in addition to your list : More fearful also, good example is the game "TheHunter" !

But it still that irl even with poor energy gain food, if you are stuffed, you will NOT be staved almost to death 3 hours after...Human, even with low calories food as a last food consumption can (if he drink) survive several days, some peoples in such case have already survive more than a week, in fact we basically say 30 days without eating, 3 without drinking and 3 minutes without breathing, its a basic, some people have probably die before 30 days while others such as Bobby Sands who have die in 1981 after 66 days without eating.

You also can't sprint at top speed for three hours straight.

You also can't sprint at top speed for three hours straight.

Even while simply running it won't change anything, this is a stupid gameplay balance decision, and YES we can run for more than hours without die from starvation.

I don't need to have an overdose of calories for survive way more than 2 day without eating even while running/walking for hours, eating for having faster/better blood regeneration/healing yes, but the stupid fast starvation is just boring, stupid, and we have other things to do than always try to eat, yes for drinking, 2 hours its a nice delay, cause we can't make a realistic delay, it will be too long, and water is important, but this is stupid to eat 20 time per 24h game than what we do irl and still be able to die in some hours...

Even while simply running it won't change anything, this is a stupid gameplay balance decision, and YES we can run for more than hours without die from starvation.

I don't need to have an overdose of calories for survive way more than 2 day without eating even while running/walking for hours, eating for having faster/better blood regeneration/healing yes, but the stupid fast starvation is just boring, stupid, and we have other things to do than always try to eat, yes for drinking, 2 hours its a nice delay, cause we can't make a realistic delay, it will be too long, and water is important, but this is stupid to eat 20 time per 24h game than what we do irl and still be able to die in some hours...

First, I said sprinting.

Second, you're doing it wrong. Get your energy bar bright green. 3 hours will not starve you to death if you have FULL energy. You say you're "always energized" but apparently not enough if you die in 3 hours. I've gone far longer without starving to death.

• Like 1

ONLY if Tracking is implemented AND if the stupid 2h from stuffed to death by starvation ridiculously short delay in what call himself a surviving SIMULATOR is fixed.

Also only if animals are not ridiculously rare and if they respawn.

Tracking seems....somewhat pointless.

In real life from all my hunting experience, the tracks you find of a deer are pointless to follow. why? Because you would never catch up, however if DayZ DEvs get serious and make deer have a pattern that they follow (deer irl follow the path of least resistance) then possibly have tracking to show where they walk alot.

Tracking seems....somewhat pointless.

In real life from all my hunting experience, the tracks you find of a deer are pointless to follow. why? Because you would never catch up, however if DayZ DEvs get serious and make deer have a pattern that they follow (deer irl follow the path of least resistance) then possibly have tracking to show where they walk alot.

Agree. There is a romanticism concerning "tracks" and "tracking". 

I would to introduce the concept of 'sign', which i've not yet seen discussed. Tracks are pretty much just useful for gauging evidence of passge or how busy an area might be based on the volume and freshness of them. It's a misconception that one simply finds a nice straight line of tracks and follows it to game. 

More defined "sign" is better way to represent animals (and render it clearly) instead "tracks" which is what 99% of people suggest first and don't seem to get beyond it.

And it isn't just game trails (tracks). Though here is a well defined one.

Deer-Trail.jpg

Deer rub their antlers on trees to scrape off velvet.

Male-white-tailed-deer-rubbing-antlers-o

Fallow use rutting pads to mark territory.

CF1_zps9b1ed198.jpg

Reds/Elk/Sambar use wallows.

00small49181752.JPG

Pigs rip up the ground when digging for food.

KI_pig_rooting2.jpg

Rabbits have warrens.

Rabbit-warrens-weeds-web.jpg

Lets all move beyond the notion of 'tracking', switch it to 'sign', add in real AI/biology which is to say time of day (dusk dawn heighted activity etc) then we have a hunting system worth having! And we hanv't even mentioned baits, decoys, traps, animal calling...phew save that for later

snip

The dude says go play The Hunter, i shouldn't even waste my time but here we go! Majority of all speices have croaks or rut calls. Many roar. A minority do not make many audible or at least very vocal calls that humans hear.

The overwhelming majoirty of  all deer spieces herd togther as both uni and multisex groups depending on time of year. Not all year, not all the time but often...and for many months! There are some spieces that go in smaller family units (sambar, hog deer especially solitary) but in many reigions such as India sambar herds are the norm. Forming herds is common behavior.

They split during pre rut, rut and post rut. Males split off pre rut to feed up for antler growth, practice fighting, then for an awkward couple of weeks try to fight  ruin each other.  Then they get over it form back bachoelor mobs and chill out as bros-b4-hoes gang for a couple of months as they recover. Females drop their fawns and stick together as female herds protect the young. If Hellcanes experience is limited to midwest whitetale fenced hunting (nothing wrong with that) or the The Hunter of course the notion of a herd is foreign to them.

As for "random ass deer" red and fallow are the most common and widley distributed deer in the world (both the Northern and Southern Hemisphere!) That they do not know this or their common behavior is enough to overlook anything else they might say.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 3

Agree. There is a romanticism concerning "tracks" and "tracking". 

I would refering to animals impacts on the enviroment as 'sign'. Tracks are pretty much just useful for gauging evidence of passge or how busy an area might be based on the volume and freshness of them. It's a misconception that one simply finds a nice straight line of tracks and follows it to game. 

More defined "sign" is better way to represent animals (and render it clearly) instead "tracks" which is what 99% of people suggest first and don't seem to get beyond it.

And it isn't just game trails (tracks). Though here is a well defined one.

Deer-Trail.jpg

To add on the game trails topic, the trails should lead to water sources such as ponds and reliable creeks. It's a common tactic used by survival folk to find where two game trails come together in a "Y" shape. The stem of the "Y" tends to point towards a reliable water source.

• Like 1

Everthing I see is great dicussion and ideas, I like what you are onto Trizzo.

However, saying that "this isnt a hunting game" Why the hell not?

Makes sense to me to at least make the animals life like...

if hunting was "too" hard irl then no one would do it.

This game isn't meant to be "competitive"

It isn't meant to be "Easy"

its you, basically naked, in a random area (sometimes the sea shore) trying to survive the odds with hunger, thirst, sickness, Zombies, Humans, and possibly wildlife against you.