Sign in to follow this  
billyangstadt

How does one go about joining the dev team as an apprentice?

I've always had a passion for 3d graphic modeling, but it's hard to do something without an objective. I'm self taught and am still very amateur, but with the right amount of practice I learn quickly.

These are a few mockups I did for a DayZ mod that never came to fruition:

7328422.jpg4805938.jpg9431778.jpg4690996.jpg

Now, I'm obviously not good enough yet to have publishable items, but it would be nice to have a small part in something that I enjoy.

Thanks.

I think their dev team is based out in Republic. I think the proper place to look would the Bohemia Interactive. Not sure though, just replying as nobody else has.

If I were you I'd make stuff for the various arma mods. That said, the squeaky wheel gets the oil so pester everyone at bi directly through email/twitter etc

The mod is still undergoing development, maybe you'll have better luck trying to get involved with the mod (or even some of the mods of the mod) for now till you further develop your skills and hopefully get noticed.

Good luck!

Please note we are not looking for internship candidates.

From their jobs page. Unfortunately most companies are looking for skilled multi-talented individuals with years of experience in the industry. If you can find a company willing to do an internship that would probably be a fantastic foot in the door. A lot of game developers start out as free content creators who show that they have a passion and a love for doing their thing, just keep working on your craft, building your portfolio, shopping your talent around, and most importantly NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Your more basic items are pretty good, fully mapped and textured. The Glock however has a lot of very bizarre geometry and very little function aside from trigger movement. I'd suggest watching a lot of various tutorials, modelling basics, or even just someone that recorded themselves working on a project. Self teaching can only go so far when the systems are designed to work a specific way, and polygons have a lot of nuances that you need to be familiarized with.

The best learning I ever did was watching various artists go through the motions, talk about the problems they were encountering, and discussing how they were going to solve them. Take tutorials that say "How to model a Glock" or something not straight forward (there won't be tutorials for every single item you want to make), but as a learning opportunity to see how that person works their way through a model.

Best of luck, never stop practicing and never stop learning!

• Like 2

Well, first of all.    You completed that graphic item way too fast.  You should have took at least 9 to 11 months and only then should your graphic item look and work correctly.   

You got a ways to go before you can join the DayZ team, there buddy.  But keep trying.

Just kidding,  sarcasm there everyone.

Edited by hothtimeblues

Can he fix silencers or add zombie hoards?   Is that a better question?  LOL

No, when are they fixing the game braking problem of not having a hat stand? eh, now that's a question ;-p

Here's a little constructive criticism..

I would start by working on your modeling skills. You've got one image of a box, 3 images of cylinders and an extruded sub-compact glock outline with a chamfer and a few other details with many wasted polys.

Work on simplifying that glock model and see where you can use normal maps and how to implement them. Look at actual photos and their wear patterns and add those into your texture maps..along with specular and bump maps, Get many reference images to see all views of said object so you can see exactly how the object is formed. Better yet (depending on what country you're in) buy a replica or model and try to recreate it. 

Look at other models in the game or other games that you like to play and build models that look like they belong in that world. If you're looking for a position at BI, study the models in their games. Build new objects that you want to see in the game. Try and make contact with some of their team or mod teams for other games to get feedback or gain experience to work on modern game models. The only way you're going to get there is by working your ass off and meeting the right people. 

Best of luck!