Sign in to follow this  
Twixxer

Adding new sounds

It's about time this new ''sound designer'' of Bohemia adds something more than footstep sounds in my opinion. 

This has probably been suggested before but I'm still brining this up again. Add sounds for doors, gates, new wilderness sounds, new zombie sounds and player-physic-interion sounds would be amazing too.

Here is a video of what Im talking about (credits to Fortran580)

• Like 7

Allot of people indeed forget the importance of sound, it is not only the eye that needs to be fooled, also the ears.

A game should challenge every sense possible. Of course there are limits, but the once it can reach (eyes, ears, motion) they should be fooled as much as possible.

I think the sound engine needs an overhaul in general. I don't think effects like reverb when indoors are possible. The footstep sound changes but I'm pretty sure that's just because you're walking on an 'indoor' surface (as opposed to grass or concrete or wood which generate their respective footfall sounds). Hell, if GoldSrc can dynamically affect sounds based on the environment, I imagine the DayZ engine can too with a bit of work.

Ultimately I'd love to see all the sounds changed. All of the assets, in fact. Seeing stock Arma 2 models and hearing Arma 2 sounds makes the game feel cheap, as though it's still just a mod. I'd be happy with just a sound overhaul, mind.

Buy hey, I don't doubt the new sound guy is hard at work. I didn't even realise they changed the footstep sounds. I've not played for a while, mind.

Edited by BeefBacon

Would love to hear these in everyday DayZ, would give that certain edge to things and would help with tracking in certain circumstances.

Yeah, sounds are indeed a major part of the game. By adding just as little as a new wilderness/bird sound, or even wind, makes the game feel fresh.

Just employ who ever added these sounds xD Brings the whole game to life

Edited by iBattleVet

Just employ who ever added these sounds xD Brings the whole game to life

Would be great if Bohemia did that.. :P

Seriously that would be great... so tired of getting killed by someone 3 feet behind me and never heard him coming... No doors sound no footstep.. really kills the fun .. First person mode without decent sound sucks.

Before we get new sounds we need the old ones to work. That old hearing cans and zombies randomly needs fixing, and you should be able to hear someone shoot always. Again last night I had a couple times at the airfield with a buddy where he said he shot at someone or someone shot at him and I'm a five second run from the guy and I didn't hear it.

Please, bring it up again and again. Bring it up 100 times over until we get that big audio drop that we are all so desperately awaiting.

Everything in the video was great, but I think the indoor and outdoor rain audio still fell short. When outdoors, we need to hear raining hitting multiple surfaces; the ground, the pattering on leaves, and even the players themselves. Rain will have a distinct sound hitting the bill of a baseball cap, so much in fact that the other audio in a scene should be ducked under that sound as it occurs very close to your ears. On the indoor scene I would image I should be hearing water dripping in more steady streams off the roof, slight pattering on what's left of the windows and maybe even some pattering on a gutter.

On a positive note though, anyone notice that they now have audio for doors in ARMA III? Something I don't think would have ever happened without DayZ. =)