Sign in to follow this  
rainf

This changes EVERYTHING!

Eugenharton
Build & Environment Engineer

"Okay so we explaines this a few times , but here it is.

Persistence saves every item not only containers. Storage is saved as well. Some items last longer than others and containers last well almost infinite amount od time. If they are used that is".

At last, persistence is(mostly) on stable, today's session was very different than any other I have had since the mod.

Firstly, I have chosen a 'home' server, at least until we get white listed private shards.
I began fresh after a death some days back and immediately scavenged for basic loot which seemed far easier to find, and while that was nice, it was business as usual, but this is where it stopped.

Where I would usually then seek out other players to mur...interact with, I decided to make the most of the persistence, in particular containers.  
Scattered around the Eastern side of the map I have placed schoolbags, courier bags and them yellow boxes containing basic starter kit, further west the bags get bigger and the loot gets better.  I have chosen packs over a tent, as least for now, due to the ability to hide more easily, and for the ease of which they can be acquired.

My next step is this, travel light; guns, ammo, basic meds & rations, seek out and close with the enemy, harvest their bodies and stash their packs with the rest of the loot.  

I am absolutely, 100% positive that many of these positions will be found eventually, but the service they provide me for 'starting over', helping out friends and providing a basic goal for me in the game is immense.  Beyond this - for the lucky players who happen upon them, their experience will also be enriched.  I know that when I see a guy running in the woods, instead of taking a shot, I'll do some stalking first, he may just lead me to the mother load :)

Happy Hunting and of course, hoarding!

• Like 8

Yeah, I love the new persistence.

Making stashes is something I love doing in all sorts of games. When I played Fallout 3, I always went around to different locations in the wasteland and set up areas with tons of guns and medical supplies (never ammo because it weighed nothing), even though it was pretty pointless since Fallout 3 gets easy really quickly, but it was still fun as hell.

Now I have an incentive to do this in DayZ, which is awesome. I'll probably hide all of my extra handguns in a courier bag somewhere super secret, just in case I ever need a resupply (because frankly, I want to carry more than just a CR75, two 1911s, and Magnum, and said .45s, 9x19mm, and .357s)

• Like 1

This works for backpacks and other storage containers.......

*Aladdin's A Whole New World begins playing as Yaddie is wisked away on a magic carpet*

• Like 1

Tell you what would be damn useful: being able to carry a backpack in your hands.

Tell you what would be damn useful: being able to carry a backpack in your hands.

But then it'd be called a hand pack and not a backpack.

'Pyth

• Like 2

But then it'd be called a hand pack and not a backpack.

'Pyth

Damn your impudence. You know what I mean.

• Like 1

Ok, so if I stash a bag with loot out in the forest it will stay there forever on that server?

Edited by aasand

Ok, so if I stash a bag with loot out in the forest it will stay there forever on that server?

I get the impression that is correct. Maybe not foreverandeveramen, but long enough to be useful.

I am going to test it out, anyhow.

I get the impression that is correct. Maybe not foreverandeveramen, but long enough to be useful.

Yes, please do, and let us know. Cause I still have no idea what the half life of what item is and how it supposedly works.

Say you have a can of tuna, and that would last a month before degrading - but in the backpack it lasts 6 months. Is that what they are trying to do? In a way that would make sense at least?

I can see raw or cooked meat spoil slower in a fridge or even in a protection case (Logic?)

But would a pair of shoes last longer outside a protective cover than in a backpack? Does weather come into play? Will they ever give us a "list" of what lasts how long?

I'm sorry, I just don't get the entire half life idea. Another thing where realism and practicality run into each other. (Not that I mind much, I just wanna know how it works)

Yes, please do, and let us know. Cause I still have no idea what the half life of what item is and how it supposedly works.

Say you have a can of tuna, and that would last a month before degrading - but in the backpack it lasts 6 months. Is that what they are trying to do? In a way that would make sense at least?

I can see raw or cooked meat spoil slower in a fridge or even in a protection case (Logic?)

But would a pair of shoes last longer outside a protective cover than in a backpack? Does weather come into play? Will they ever give us a "list" of what lasts how long?

I'm sorry, I just don't get the entire half life idea. Another thing where realism and practicality run into each other. (Not that I mind much, I just wanna know how it works)

I really don't know, but I'd expect things to degrade according to their material further down the development line. This being the first implementation of persistent items and storage, I doubt it's as advanced as that yet.

Also, what classifies something as a "container"? Is it just tents? Tents and backpacks? Protector cases? Ammo boxes? If an item of clothing has inventory slots, is that a container, too? Is a boonie hat a "container", because it can carry a fishing hook?

• Like 1

I know that when I see a guy running in the woods, instead of taking a shot, I'll do some stalking first, he may just lead me to the mother load :)

Thought for the day!

• Like 1

No, it will degrade. Anything not in a tent will degrade and eventually be gone.

See above.

I really don't know, but I'd expect things to degrade according to their material further down the development line. This being the first implementation of persistent items and storage, I doubt it's as advanced as that yet.

Also, what classifies something as a "container"? Is it just tents? Tents and backpacks? Protector cases? Ammo boxes? If an item of clothing has inventory slots, is that a container, too? Is a boonie hat a "container", because it can carry a fishing hook?

Atm tents are the only thing that will keep your shit safe from degrading until it is gone or ruined as i understand it.

Finally settled down my four month old Stable char, good to offload the gear.

27zxk6b.jpg

jae4p5.jpg

Tents and persistence is a game changer though, no more aimless wandering once you have a base of operations. You can decide if you want to do a session of just pure hunting and looting to restock meat and supplies, heli hunting and tent raiding for weapons and gear, tent raiding or go and cleanse the land of bandits. Depending on what you have you can equip accordingly and not have to worry about carting around two guns anymore, added bonus is being paranoid every time you log back in is if your shit has been raided raided or not.

• Like 3

Yep completely changes everything. Tents and persistence make this game worth investing real time into it now :)

Check the treeline, I'll be watching you....

so wait, this is on stable allready?

i was thinking ast night about putting down some kind of care-package with food, water and a backpack at the spawnpoint in novo, above the garage buildings, but thought that after server restart everything would be gone anyway...

do written notes also stay?

This also means notes are worth leaving but can we PLEASE have the texture of the note look different if it's been written on? (or has this been implemented already?)

• Like 1

No, it will degrade. Anything not in a tent will degrade and eventually be gone.

See above.

Atm tents are the only thing that will keep your shit safe from degrading until it is gone or ruined as i understand it.

Finally settled down my four month old Stable char, good to offload the gear.

27zxk6b.jpg

jae4p5.jpg

Tents and persistence is a game changer though, no more aimless wandering once you have a base of operations. You can decide if you want to do a session of just pure hunting and looting to restock meat and supplies, heli hunting and tent raiding for weapons and gear, tent raiding or go and cleanse the land of bandits. Depending on what you have you can equip accordingly and not have to worry about carting around two guns anymore, added bonus is being paranoid every time you log back in is if your shit has been raided raided or not.

that's the tower just east of Novy Sobor, not very well hidden

• Like 2

So far so good, filled up 5 packs, from Mountain packs to courier packs to smersh packs, the latter two while smaller in capacity are much harder to spot unless you are directly looking for them, and even then its a pain.

Today, i stumbled on a little stash somebody made in a house - probably not the best idea as secluded as a house may be, it still sparks interest and somebody will happen upon your gear - I left him a note with my steam details and the fact i'd taken some of his rope into my charge.
I like to leave my stuff under tree's in out of the way places that have a landmark that I can remember.

Happy hunting gents.

• Like 2

So far so good, filled up 5 packs, from Mountain packs to courier packs to smersh packs, the latter two while smaller in capacity are much harder to spot unless you are directly looking for them, and even then its a pain.

Today, i stumbled on a little stash somebody made in a house - probably not the best idea as secluded as a house may be, it still sparks interest and somebody will happen upon your gear - I left him a note with my steam details and the fact i'd taken some of his rope into my charge.

I like to leave my stuff under tree's in out of the way places that have a landmark that I can remember.

Happy hunting gents.

So backpacks do work? I'm getting mixed messages here.

that's the tower just east of Novy Sobor, not very well hidden

Yeah i know, there never used to be a tower there so it is quiet annoying. I just dumped a tent there in tribute as it was one of our camping places in the early part of the mod.

So backpacks do work? I'm getting mixed messages here.

What mixed messages are you getting. I said it in the first post, all items are persistent but will degrade(vanish) over time - CONTAINERS will last almost INDEFINITELY, which means backpacks, ammo containers, tents etc etc.