Tribunus

Lighting, Lack of food/water/weapons, first experience

So I've put several hours into Day Z in the last two days and I'm pretty frustrated.

First of all, I can't find food or water anywhere, or weapons for that matter. I spawn on the coast and look for building for provisions. I usually find just empty cans and occasionally empty bottles.

I've never found any FOOD or WATER or a CANTEEN to fill with WATER. I've never found any WEAPONS either.

Here are the only things I've ever found:

Empty Cans

Empty Bottles

A Hatchet

Chem Lights

Road Flares

Engine Parts

Scrap Metal

Various types of Ammo

Also, most of the buildings I come across don't have any openings. I can't enter them so I assume they're just there for decoration, which is always a bit disappointing when I come across one while I'm dehydrating and lacking food.

Any suggestions, guys? What am I doing wrong?

On a side note, the lighting really bugs the heck out of me. It gets super dark and super light out of no where. Any way to fix this?

I've had the lighting problem but have not for a while, I'm not sure of the exact cause. -http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13116

As for what your finding, I've had similar lives, other times Ive found nothing but empty cans and chem lights in 2 hours (after spawning by and searching the southern airfield). So u can just get unlucky. To give yourself a fighting chance and slightly better odds of picking up something valuable, I aim for all deer stands I can fit into a trip to Zelenegorsk (pretty quiet) then hit up the supermarket for a bunch of goodies. Deer stands and supermarket are two low-medium risk loot spots with fair chances of spawning relatively good loot.

Buildings not being enterable, yeah that is a bitch but it's the ArmA 2 map. I'm sure when this mod is out for ArmA 3 or or as an expansion/standalone, they all will be.

I'll look for Zelenegorsk then. I can't seem to find that interactive Day Z map though. Can anyone link it to me?

There's plenty on the internet. "DayzDB" in Google. First link. There you go.

The Hatchet is also a weapon and is extremely useful early on. Able to get wood, kill zombies and players QUIETLY. Plus no ammo means no taking up space.

There are plenty of hot spots for food/water. Pay attention when you log in. In the bottom right there'll be a few words in white. It'll give you your current location. Usually the name of the closest town/city. From there look for landmarks you can connect with things you see on the map to get your bearings.

the map is not made for the mod, thats why most of the buildings arent enterable, when the map was made it was with a large scale war simulator in mind, and house-combat plays not much of a role there when its not in a large city

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll definitely try to use this map next time I play DayZ.

Except maybe for the scrap metal and engine parts, what you've found will generally improve your chances of survival. Did you know you can throw empty cans, flares and bottles to distract infected? Also the hatchet is a weapon, you just need to right click it and select "Remove from toolbelt" then it will be placed into your primary weapon slot. Some people actually prefer the axe to other weapons, depending on play style.

I felt the same way as well...hang in there bud it gets much better!

Except maybe for the scrap metal and engine parts' date=' what you've found will generally improve your chances of survival. Did you know you can throw empty cans, flares and bottles to distract infected? Also the hatchet is a weapon, you just need to right click it and select "Remove from toolbelt" then it will be placed into your primary weapon slot. Some people actually prefer the axe to other weapons, depending on play style.

[/quote']

I've thrown cans and flares and the infected didn't react to the cans at all. I think a few might have looked at a flare I threw once. They kind of waddled around it but They were already near and they might have been heading that way anyway.

the best advice is orientate yourself to travel away from coast and run for awhile passing any villages you might see at first.They are usually looted already so you'll find nothing.

Simple: Straight off hit the city's and go looting like a bad ass and then get the hell out of there.