Sign in to follow this  
Robert Neville

Zombies should respawn after 7-10 minutes, not immediately

I have posted this bugreport/suggestion here: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=15499

Feel free to vote it up (or down, should you be against it).

With the new zombie respawning feature, gameplay has worsened as we are practically facing an endless stream of zombies that come to attack us one after each other, making them practically invulnerable. Hence, it is pointless and frustrating to kill a zombie as a clone of it will immediately re-attack us afterwards.

The number of zombies in the game should be high, but not infinite. Let me make an example:
Case A: a lone survivor hides in a house.
Case B: a team of 30 well-fed and machinegun-equipped survivors with a lot of ammo combs the city, hunting and exterminating all zombies.
It would be normal to expect that in Case B the city would be zombie-free, at least for a while. Instead, as zombies regenerate, the city in Case B holds in any moment the same number of zombies than in Case A - which makes no sense.

Timing should be changed so zombies respawn no earlier than 7-10 minutes after being killed.

The current respawn is NOT going to be the final.  This is just a placeholder to prevent 2 people from clearing the server of zombies 20 mins after restart.

The PLANED (last I saw/read) respawn mechanic is suppose to go like this:  Players have a 'bubble' around them (forget the exact numbers but lets just say 1km).  Players A & B enters a town (lets say Msta), and starts killing zombies and looting the town.  Player A decides to move on while B decides he wants to barricade a house.  Zombies won't respawn in the village as long as Player B remains within 1km of the town, but any wandering zombies may still enter the 'zone'.

Now everything is subject to change, but the simple respawn we have now is just for testing purposes.

Yes, but it makes the game barely playable.  It needs to be changed with something that works - even if it's not final.

Yes, but it makes the game barely playable.  It needs to be changed with something that works - even if it's not final.

Please elaborate on "barely playable"

Being a mod vet im used to the rapid spawns and wouldn't have it any other way. Zeds need to be a threat is thrown around a lot in the forums....then when they  actually are this starts happening. I really hate the idea of being in a town in dayz with no zombies. That could happen even with the devs intended system. Rapid close respawning that makes you have to be quiet and use stealth, is the best way IMO.

If its unplayable because they wont stop coming try this...

Whats happening (I think) is you shoot zombie A....shots draw B,C,D...ect...lets say up to H.

By the time you are dispatching zombie H, A-C have respawned and hear the shots

Try just using melee in areas that spawn a few zeds. Firing a gun, in a town, in Dayz, should be suicide.

So far, if I'm not wrong, zombies are attracted by the sound of a melee weapon as much as the sound of a firearm.  However, this might be changed in the future.