turkeyx

My friend runs slower than me?

So three of us play DayZ together, and one of my friends runs slower than us even when double tapping W, he still runs slower no matter what whereas me and my other friend run at the same pace. Any idea what the problem may be?

I've heard ping bad can cause slower running in Arma. Also I think it depends if you have your primary or secondary weapon out.

Also we've used the same backpacks most of the time, had the same weapons and I usually hold more stuff than him also his ping is average like everyone else's so his ping is pretty much the same as mine.

There is a very rare bug which is affecting only a small number of players. People with this bug have reported having a slower run speed since the very first time playing the game, and respawning or even a complete reinstall does not fix it. As near as we can tell, this issue seems to be permanent for anyone that has it.

A buddy of mine has this run speed bug. We have tried everything possible to find a fix but nothing has worked. We've done a fair amount of testing and I would estimate that his all out sprinting speed is only about 60% of mine. When we travel together I am forced to crouch run while he does a full sprint just to help even out our run speeds. Even then, I still crouch run faster than his full sprint.

There have been a handful of posts from others reporting the same issue but since it's not very common it is unlikely to get much attention from the devs.

One thing I would like to point out (since someone always suggests that this is due to the person having a low FPS) is that there are thousands of people, probably even tens of thousands of people, playing DayZ on low spec machines, laptops etc. If this bug were related to FPS there would be a HUGE number of corresponding bug reports. There are not. Furthermore, I have seen posts from two people who had this bug that reported playing on high spec machines. This does not seem to be pc spec related.

Bad_Mojo mentioned ping. I can't speak for others with the bug, but my buddy and I have very comparable pings anytime we have compared them in game.

EDIT We have just discovered that when he plays in first person view, he has the movement speed bug. As soon as he switches his view to 3rd person he can run at the same speed as me. [see post 42 in this thread for more info] EDIT

WHOA that slow as shit. Why doesnt he just crouch run everywhere then since he full sprints at the same speed or is his crouch run the same speed as a slow crawl? I don't know how you could play with 50% MS reduc

I have heard that your ping/fps plays a big part in move speed. Which makes complete since. is your friend on 3rd world internet?

CMK: No his movement speed is consistantly slower than mine when we move with the same posture. When we compared our crawling speeds, the difference was much less pronounced, I would estimate he was crawling at about 85% of my crawl speed. Think about this. If you make a run from the coast all the way to NWA, your buddy with this problem would only be a bit over halfway there. This really sucks for those people.

One other strange thing is that when I watch him run, his animation looks like one of those people who do that weird '"speedwalking" exercise thing. Looks very strange to watch him run. He has told me a few times that right when he starts to run it feels like he is running normally and then within a couple of seconds his speed bogs down.

I've pretty much given up on finding a solution. The only thing I can really do at this point is to try and get any kind of attention from the devs.

TheJuhoker: Be sure and have him submit a bug report, that's probably the best chance he has of ever getting this looked into.

Well that defiantly does suck. Props to you still playing with your friend hahah. Though I guess with you crouched everywhere he will be the first to get sniped.

GL getting it fixed.

Yeah I have this bug, I thought it was cause I just had the new girl character cause thats when I started to really notice it (not being sexist or anything) After a long time of running my friends would have to wait a few seconds so I could catch up.

I have heard that your ping/fps plays a big part in move speed. Which makes complete since. is your friend on 3rd world internet?

Nope, he lives a few blocks from me and we both have the same ISP and 30meg connections. We always compare ping when we get ingame and on the servers we play usually are within the 30 - 60 range. He generally has a slightly better ping than me.

Yeah I have this bug' date='[/quote']

Sorry to hear that. Any chance you could use your forum connections to help bring this issue to the attention of the dev team. Being such an obscure thing, I'm worried that it's just gonna fall through the cracks and not get noticed...

Im almost certain that you run faster with your pistol epuiped

You do run at different speeds depending on weapon Chief. That's not what this is about however. We have been trying to sort this out for nearly two months now. Trust me when I say that we have taken all of the various movement penalties and stances into account.

Bad_Mojo mentioned ping. I can't speak for others with the bug' date=' but my buddy and I have very comparable pings anytime we have compared them in game.

[/quote']

Yeah, the slower I was talking about was just slightly slower. No way 60% could be due to ping, that's horrible. Hope it gets fixed.

I suffer from this too, and it drives my group I speedwalk with crazy. They constantly have to stop and wait for me to catch up. From there end, I am making the sprint animations, but I don't move fast. Doesn't matter what I am carrying at the time.

I suffer from this too' date=' and it drives my group I speedwalk with crazy.

[/quote']

Could you please submit an official bug report in the Bug Report section of the forum? We need all the reports on this we can get. I would love to submit this but I cant since it does not happen to me.

The REAL answer is that he has his settings set too high and his computer is struggling to run the game. If your computer is chugging frames the engine will start to slow down. This manifests itself ingame as the player with the crappy PC moving slower than everyone else.

The REAL answer is that he has his settings set too high and his computer is struggling to run the game. If your computer is chugging frames the engine will start to slow down. This manifests itself ingame as the player with the crappy PC moving slower than everyone else.

Yes, this keeps being suggested. First of all his framerates are fine. Furthermore, as I have already said, with over 330,000 unique players there should easily be tens of thousands of people playing DayZ with poor framerates on low spec machines, laptops, etc. Where are all the bug reports from these tens of thousands of people who play with low framerates every day? There are only a handful. Logic suggests that framerate is not the issue here, and then how do you account for the people who are playing on high spec rigs who are also reporting this problem?

Edit: I have also been searching through the BIS Arma 2 forums, and have not found any mention of this problem being discussed. Whatever it is, it seems specific to DayZ.

I think I have this bug.Watching videos and the animations seem different then what I see on my screen.Thats bothersome but what really gets me is when I crouch walk my footststeps sound like I am pounding my feet on the ground.Does your friend have very loud footsounds when crouching?

it sounds like you have played on a 3rd person server and what's happened is your friend zoomed in with his mouse and at some point interupted the animation so the game still thinks he's zoomed in, tell him to go into fps zoom in and out, it should fix the problem.

He's running although it looks normal, he's really stuck in the zoomed in 3rd person view but he wouldn't know it.

Zoom gun in and out in a fps mode and do the same in 3rd.

Iv'e run slower than the team I was playing with and I was sure it was to do with ping, the only example Iv'e had to the contrary is running faster than people in the US playing on a US server whilst running slower than than my friend in Bristol (a couple hundred miles away). But that could be down to personal qualities of connection etc.

Iv'e run slower than the team I was playing with and I was sure it was to do with ping' date=' the only example Iv'e had to the contrary is running faster than people in the US playing on a US server whilst running slower than than my friend in Bristol (a couple hundred miles away). But that could be down to personal qualities of connection etc.

[/quote']

Still, I've been testing run speeds against my buddy (who has had this problem consistently going on two months now), while my ping was 37 and his was 35. It was definitely not a ping issue.