Sign in to follow this  
cpan

Pistol Only

Does anyone play pistol only?

I'm debating this.  I do not like to get "kitted" out in full military garb.  I'm a regular Joe that will take any weapon at first but on my recent hardcore guy (I only play hardcore) I find myself wanting to give away my SKS and just stick with the 1911 i found and my wood axe.  Both fit on me so it looks like I'm weaponless.  My play style is that of the survivor/lone wolf/hero (no friends really play  :(  ).  I'll try to barter with those I meet, stealthily go after bandits, help those in need etc.  I like the challenge it presents.

Anyone else play this way?

ive just recently started to want to play like this, keep my gear down to minimum to come off less of threatening....and hopefully be able to defend myself with the hidden pistol or sawed-off shotgun.

only will use either improvised courier or backpack, and no vest....a bit too bulky. we'll see....

I keep a 357 and 60rnds, and a green fireaxe in my backpack. I want to ditch the pack and use just a high cap vest and keep the axe on my back.

Well not exactly. I'm not really a friendly player, more of an opportunist. My most successful character depended heavily on her FNX45 in combat. She last two or three months before I got cocky and died.

But I do often play with a light loadout sometimes.

When I get on my feet enough to, that is. A Magnum might be your best bet as finding a magazine for pistols can be difficult. You'll also need to likely start out with a melee weapon and your wits  Scout towns and villages before you enter---watch two or three minutes from a concealed location to see if you see any movement. Or, you could rely on a primary until you find a functional sidearm.

Hunter Backpack or improvised backpack. If I find a Payday mask I like to pair with the kiddy backpack >.> ... If I find a black or olive tactical vest sometimes I won't wear a backpack at all. Helmets are generally only helpful when it groups and get you spotted easier, or so I feel, so most times I don't wear them anymore. I just go for aesthetics.

Edited by Rudette

I've cut myself down to a Sporter .22 to come off less threatening to armed players. I can still use it to defend myself, and I won't get shot cause someone what my gun.

Edited by Yaddie

Aaaaaaaand I just fell off the firehouse roof in Elektro while under fire...first contact I made with this guy in hours.  So begins a new Cpan.

I've cut myself down to a Sporter .22 to come off less threatening to armed players. I can still use it to defend myself, and I won't get shot cause someone what my gun.

Are you going to be in for a few surprises!

I feel like most players are just going to spot a rifle and take you as a threat anyway.

I never thought about using a vest and no backpack and no primary. I'll have to try that out. Sounds like it could be fun.

I tend to play a fairly neutral sometimes hero survivor, but I've been tempted to try running around in a black hoodie with nothing but a pistol trying to stick people up. Could be fun.

I tried to be a medic 70% of time in that game, ppl just kill me on sight or rob me, other 30% of time i run from town to town.
Another 70% of time in that game i spend to murder ppl as crazy, same shit - no fun, other 30% of time i run from town to town.
Another 70% of time in that game i spend to loot, same shit - no fun, other 30% of time i run from town to town.
Another 70% of time in that game i spend with friends, i wasted that time, same shit - no fun, other 30% of time i waited them somewhere.

Edited by Electi

Tried the pistol only thing once... sadly, you just come across as an easy target..maybe a bow or crossbow will work better, maybe even a Mosin..some people may believe that you just a Hunter. Didn't tried myself, but it may work.

I'm not sure it makes a great deal of difference.

There's so many people who will shoot anyone they see, regardless of how well geared they look, that even if you aren't "visibly" armed you still have to approach every player with the same degree of caution you would if you are obviously tooled up.

I guess the main advantage comes from being able to ward off fuckwit new spawn chancers that see better clothes than they've got and try to fist fight you for them.

Edited by Pillock

I used to do pistol only a lot when the SA launched since there wasn't much in the way of weapon variety.

Pistols are better now than they were then, with the dispersion "fixes" so it should be more viable.

The drawback is that finding pistol mags is a pain, so unless you use the magnum it's harder to get going on pistols only than it would be to grab an actual rifle. 

My recommendation is you use a chest holster instead of a vest or carrying the pistol in your pack, because in my experience a pistol can't be ruined in a holster while it is easily ruined in those other items.  That is one of the biggest drawback of using pistols is they can actually be ruined in your inventory.

Any ways, like most of the guns it comes down to player skill and what you can do with it.  Positioning matters more than the weapon in general in DayZ, so if you play smart you should be able to make it work.

(this post is framed in the context of pvp, since that's all I like to do)

Anyone in Cherno? 

34ru3h0.jpg

FTP..

G/L.....

Edited by RyBo

As long as putting one shot in the chest with a pistol continues to not even incapacitate a person I'll continue without one.

I tried to be a medic 70% of time in that game, ppl just kill me on sight or rob me, other 30% of time i run from town to town.
Another 70% of time in that game i spend to murder ppl as crazy, same shit - no fun, other 30% of time i run from town to town.
Another 70% of time in that game i spend to loot, same shit - no fun, other 30% of time i run from town to town.
Another 70% of time in that game i spend with friends, i wasted that time, same shit - no fun, other 30% of time i waited them somewhere.

You can spend 100% of your time not playing the game.

Edited by Exorade
  • Like 1

Anyone else play this way?

Well, my friend used to dress up as a n00b armed with a fire extinguisher. Unbeknownst to the casual observer, he had discretely put a sawn-off shotgun in his children's school backpack ... and a handful of armed friends in the bushes. If anyone would try to rob or hassle him, it'd be *BLAM* "SHOTGUN SURPRISE!" and then covering fire from the rest of us.

Good fun.

Investing 400% of time into something that's not fun, now that's ambitious!

ive just recently started to want to play like this, keep my gear down to minimum to come off less of threatening...

If you're in their FOV, you're a threat and probably dead anyway.

it seems I get shot 9 times out of 10 no matter how I'm dressed lol

the one time out of ten that they don't shoot is when they're running away screaming "no shoot no shoot!!" and I'm just standing there like "whaaaaat?...."

Anyone in Cherno? 

34ru3h0.jpg

Seeing this picture really highlights the fact that belt holsters for pistols are glaringly absent from the game.

• Like 1

Anyone in Cherno? 

34ru3h0.jpg

Oh btw, how is that every damn time I find ANY part of a police uniform, I get shot in that particular body part next time someone aims a gun in my general direction? Every. Damn. Time.

Oh well, I'm just glad there's no Cherno PD Jockstrap.

The biggest issues with handguns are that they take up 4 inventory slots, and often they have a less than optimal stopping power.  A rifle takes no inventory slots (as is shouldered) and is much more powerful.

Nice police uniform, by the way.

If you're in their FOV, you're a threat and probably dead anyway.

ya probably, but imma try to be less bulky and come off less intimidating like with hunters backpack, vest, camo clothes, etc....but I know some/most players won't even care, still will shoot you even when you're a complete bambi. I kept dying the other day just as a bambi by KOS players, it was getting quite amusing after the 5th time within 30 mins how easily I was getting shot without having anything or showing any aggression. This game......is special.

Edited by Reg Park

Oh btw, how is that every damn time I find ANY part of a police uniform, I get shot in that particular body part next time someone aims a gun in my general direction? Every. Damn. Time.

Oh well, I'm just glad there's no Cherno PD Jockstrap.

Haha. Unfortunately I had my Police Uniform destroyed by zombies, from carelessly getting hit once.