Sign in to follow this  
Jaleno

Fix survivor whining in next patch

For starters, the 1.5.7 patch is AWESOME!

Buuut... when your player is chased by zombies and say, you run into a building to slow them down, he emits this whining, freaking out sort of sound. I'm all for having this sound maybe at the initial contact with zombies in a confrontation, however, it repeats endlessly if you are eliminating a horde of zeds. It breaks the immersion a little having this guttural sound playing every second..

Pretty minor change but it can be a little annoying.

Dude you're so right.

There were 5 of us panicking in a firehouse...

It sounded like a gay fucking orgy.

All the male voices breathing and moaning.

Very homoerotic.

That's a feature, it's supposed to be your character panicking. Imagine, if you will:

You're starving, thirst, have very little ammo and you see flesh rotting off of your neighbors as they eat your friends and family. One of them locks eyes with you and emits an ear bursting roar and chases you into a building. As you lay fire into people who you knew lived, breathed, loved, hated, and all other human traits, wouldn't you be upset? I know I would sob into the stock of my gun as I did this.

I can't say that I've noticed any in game screaming, might be that I am already screaming way before and after I encounter zombies. :P

That's a feature' date=' it's supposed to be your character panicking. Imagine, if you will:

You're starving, thirst, have very little ammo and you see flesh rotting off of your neighbors as they eat your friends and family. One of them locks eyes with you and emits an ear bursting roar and chases you into a building. As you lay fire into people who you knew lived, breathed, loved, hated, and all other human traits, wouldn't you be upset? I know I would sob into the stock of my gun as I did this.

[/quote']

It's not the noise that bothers me... its the CONTINUOUS noise that gets very annoying. I feel like if I was in a zombie apocalypse, I wouldn't continuously be yelling in fear of attracting more zombies.

Yeah, I can see being scared shitless for a few seconds, but once you know what's after you, and you realize that you're just attracting more of them, which anyone but a teenager or younger would, pretty darn quick, it throws the immersion way out. Maybe have a mental stability score that goes down if you keep getting attacked by hordes, with a gradual raise in the amount of anguish your character emotes?

I was wondering what the eff this was when we were playing the other night, lol. About 4 of us were up on a roof and there were some zombies down on the ground but they weren't getting to us, and at least 2 of our guys were moaning over and over and over. It got annoying really fast, and it was kind of nonsensical when you think about it, since we were in no imminent danger.

That's a feature' date=' it's supposed to be your character panicking. Imagine, if you will:

[/quote']

I dont know. If after all that, 5 guys are in a room sounding like an air raid alarm, AND theyve got heavy weaponry, it might not be the zeds id need to shoot first out of sheer disgust.

[/quote']

If that would've been true, then that's fine and well. But I'm not starving or thirsty. I have plenty of ammo. I'm a veteran who has killed hundreds of zombies and dozens of people.

Maybe only play the panic sound when you are injured or something? And then play it less frequently?

I love the new sounds, definitely adds to the immersion of the game. I do however agree that the panic sound needs to be tuned a bit. I was in a fairly enclosed space with somebody I had met along the way and we were both looping that panic sound just a little out of sync... sounded very broken - and it just kept going on and on.

Adding some variety to the mix, maybe something a bit more subtle, and/or limiting the frequency in which the sound can be triggered would solve any quarrel I have with it :).

I was expecting this thread to be about muting players whining about the Zed count. :p

I believe this was intended as a test for a more dynamic audio system. It's not perfect right now, for sure - but it's a start down a long road.

I was expecting this thread to be about muting players whining about the Zed count. :p

I believe this was intended as a test for a more dynamic audio system. It's not perfect right now' date=' for sure - but it's a start down a long road.

[/quote']

Hahahaha wouldn't be a bad idea... :p

[/quote']

I like this guys answer... However the gameplay aspect is that it may give away your position to other players if your trying to stay quiet after an encounter with zeds. Not a huge deal in my opinion and should only happen if maybe hit by a zombie or one is damn close to you.

Yeah I don't think I like it. First time it happened to me I was climbing up the hospital ladder and appparantly true the attention of a zombie. So as I reach the top I can hear the zombies beneath me wailing (I can't even see them I can only hear them) To which my character starts freaking out? because zombie 3 stories below me knows I'm on the roof?

I would prefer that this sound gets removed completely.

it completely removes the feeling that "You" are the guy being chased by zombies.

It becomes more or less a "this guy who is crying is getting chased"

And well. In a world where nothing else then zombies and survivors are left, i doubt that those who constantly cry would belong to the survivors.

And even if. Even they would "get used to it" and stop freaking out.

And last but not least, instead of me being scared when iam chased, i get annoyed by this whiny character i have which completely breaks away the fear from zombies..