Sign in to follow this  
degude

Fire arrow

Hi,

This is very simple, an arrow that burns. When hitting a player, animal or zed it could set them on fire (probably unrealistic for the animal) or inflict some extra damage, or it could set other stuff (buildings, trees, bases, tents, etc) on fire if they are able to burn later in this game.

A fire arrow could be craftable with an arrow, a rag, and something that burns (gasonline, alcohol, etc.). And before shooting it it has to be lit with a match (or whatever starts a fire).

988-0907345285.jpg

NOTE: I was quite surprised that this hasen't been suggested before, so I hope I didn't fail to find the topic where somebody suggested this already.

I personally think that's unrealistic. To make a fire arrow, which would use alcohol tincture, or gasoline just to shoot an animal or zombie, is just pointless imo. I mean, in all reality, I'm pretty sure unless they had real dry clothes, or something on the arrow that would somehow spread on it before going in, it would just go in the flesh, and go out, leaving a burnt hole, and killing only 1 thing, out of unlimited in this case.

I personally think that's unrealistic. To make a fire arrow, which would use alcohol tincture, or gasoline just to shoot an animal or zombie, is just pointless imo. I mean, in all reality, I'm pretty sure unless they had real dry clothes, or something on the arrow that would somehow spread on it before going in, it would just go in the flesh, and go out, leaving a burnt hole, and killing only 1 thing, out of unlimited in this case.

I mean. It is a possible thing to do. But the only REAL use is to kill someone or to set something on fire such as a pile of hay to attract a horde in your field :D That would be cool. But to kill someone with it is just eh. I aint fighting in a god damned castle

EDIT; The horde thing, meant to get them away from your house/barn. Not to attract them towards you for fun XD

Edited by Jfiles
  • Like 1

wonder if I can cook stuff over a burning bandit corpse...

In my opinion this would be an excellent addition to the bow and arrow, I'm not thinking that it would do extra damage or set people on fire, I'm more thinking about what Jfiles said with setting hay bales on fire for distraction. And frankly, it would look hella cool in the middle of the night to have like 5 guys on top of a ridge shooting flaming arrows (Just my imagination).

• Like 1

you know that fire arrows where used only as tracers?

you cant kill someone with them, it would just bouce off.+

watch less movies people.

Edited by Edoissimo
  • Like 2

you know that fire arrows where used only as tracers?

you cant kill someone with them, it would just bouce off.+

watch less movies people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_thermal_weapons#Flaming_arrows.2C_bolts.2C_spears_and_rockets

Tracers AND fire-starters. "effective against wooden buildings".

>Used to raze Lachish

>Used by the Romans

>Used in the siege of Oran

>Used in Vladimir, eastern Russia

>Used at the battle of Levunium

>Used during the British Civil War

>Used by the Chinese [technically rockets though]

If we get a greater focus on Rust-tier basebuilding, this is relevant. If we don't, and we can't make wooden structures, then there is not much point.

How about this, too: If it lands on dry grass when it isn't raining or snowing, the grass in the area for a fairly wide area ignites in a grass fire.

It's unrealistic to expect this to "set people on fire", but it could be good for dousing an area/person/zombie in petrol and setting it ablaze.

Note also that it requires a loose bow or a softer pull to fire flaming arrows -- otherwise they go out.  I would love to see these in game, especially if they added the ability to light things on fire.  I imagine drawing something on the ground in gasoline then firing an arrow to ignite the trail... could be hours of night-game entertainment right there :D

Yeah, I guess making people or zeds burn only works when they are soaked in gasoline :P My bad

At night, like some of you mentioned, it would be a great addition, especially when some objects can burn.