evidica

What type of Project Management is the DayZ dev team using?

I'm a developer by trade and I'm curious what type of PM methodology the DayZ developers are using.  If it's Waterfall, the inconsistency makes sense to me in regards to too many 'might' and 'maybe' used in verbiage regarding future release functionality.  However, if they're using Agile, wouldn't the team know what their velocity is by now?  Also, if they're using Agile, can they just start posting at least audio of their daily stand ups since testers are always a part of that and we're paying to be testers at this point?

Great question. I am very ignirant of game development. But I can see that this game has a very diiferent approach. Hopefully for the better.

I'm a developer by trade and I'm curious what type of PM methodology the DayZ developers are using.  If it's Waterfall

http://youtu.be/csyL9EC0S0c?t=15m

The entire talk is very good imho, but his talk on waterfall had me in stitches :D

• Like 1

That video is hilarious, Waterfall is the worst PM methodology, just so unrealistic.  Since they're using Agile, we should be able to get some specific answers from them regarding numbers that can give us a better idea how long it's going to take to knock out each individual initiative.

• Like 1

That video is hilarious, Waterfall is the worst PM methodology, just so unrealistic. Since they're using Agile, we should be able to get some specific answers from them regarding numbers that can give us a better idea how long it's going to take to knock out each individual initiative.

Uh oh. Wouldn't there be only one reason to not to release dates they will reach certain goals? Because they have no idea when each problem will be solved. But in their defense, don't all good games release long after projected dates?

don't all good games release long after projected dates?

Diakatana was AMAZING!!!!! also Duke Nukem! also Colonial Marines!!!

/sarcasm

Timescales are the Devs business, id rather that stuff wasnt released, because the moment a target gets missed its QQ and BAAAaaaaaaaw out the wazzoo.

Timescales are the Devs business, id rather that stuff wasnt released, because the moment a target gets missed its QQ and BAAAaaaaaaaw out the wazzoo.

Exactly.

That information benefits them, not us and has no business being in our hands. People need to understand the privilege they are being given. You're paying 50% for a game and to choose if you want to play it early or wait. I think people also need to understand that they are stress testers and provide the team with valuable usage data every time they play. That's it. You're not internal testers who's job is to break the game. Ya, there's a public bug tracker for you to use, if you want to. In my opinion though, you should be teaching these publishers that they can get us to test for free. I'm a tester, you want me to work for you, pay me. It's the stance you should all have too. 

I don't want commit dates at all, in fact, that's the point of Agile, no real commit date until you are in your last few sprints.  I'm just curious how long they're expecting initiatives to take.  With Agile, when you plan a story (piece of work) you estimate how much effort it is using the Fibonacci Sequence.  When you complete the story, you can see how long it took to get done compared to the estimated effort.  Over time you can start seeing that things that are estimated at X effort usually take Y hours/days to complete, this is called velocity.  I'd like to see what their velocity is and how much work they have in the backlog, that would give us all a pretty good idea of how long we'll be waiting.

Also, if they're using Agile, can they just start posting at least audio of their daily stand ups since testers are always a part of that and we're paying to be testers at this point?

Looks like they are starting to post stand up notes in their new "status reports"

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-28-july-2014

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/205663-status-report-week-of-28-july-2014/