Sign in to follow this  
d.walker43

ideal settings for best graphics without losing fps?

Hi guys, so ive been playing Dayz on my laptop and right now I get fine fps, but my graphics look like crap. Im wondering if anyone has some tweaks and settings I should change to bump up my graphics a bit with sacrificing fps. I get about 40-ish in forests and 20-25 in cities. Its playable, but all of my graphics settings are on low/off and it looks really bad. I want it to look better but I don't want to lose fps, and am simply wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks on what settings to increase/decrease. Thanks, and serious answers only please.

Heres my specs if anybody needs to know them

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15

CPU: Intel CORE i3 @1.7ghz

GPU: Intel HD 4400

RAM: 6GB standard ram

Monitor: 1366x768

Anything else just ask :)

I have an HP Envy laptop with similar specs (though mine has a Core i7 @ 2 or 3 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, and an nVidia GeForce GT 630M 1GB alongside the Intel HD graphics), and I had similar issues; I really think it's mainly the hardware you're using. Along with the fact that the game is still in Alpha and has yet to really be optimized, you still need decent hardware to run the game efficiently. Your CPU might be a little under speed @ 1.7 GHz, and even though 6 GB is a decent amount of RAM, it might not hurt to get at least 2 GB more; and if the Intel HD 4400 is the only graphics you're using, then that definitely might be part of the issue (if not the issue entirely). Like I said above, my laptop also has Intel HD 4400 graphics, but it also has the GeForce card which would (at least it's supposed to) take over once an application that required it started running, and I still got fairly bad performance. Personally, I think your best bet is to either A.) play the game on a desktop system, as I usually do, or B.) upgrade your laptop to an actual gaming notebook, like an Alienware (for example). If you go with A, then check out my current PC specs below in my signature; using this hardware, I'm currently running the game on either Normal or High settings, with a pretty decent FPS (not sure exactly what my FPS; I'll have to check it). Like I said, the game hasn't really been optimized yet, so even higher-end systems probably won't be able to run it at max settings and maintain a decent FPS; once it hits Beta, then hopefully the optimization will come into play.

Edited by Mancomb

I have an HP Envy laptop with similar specs (though mine has a Core i7 @ 2 or 3 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, and an nVidia GeForce GT 630M 1GB alongside the Intel HD graphics), and I had similar issues; I really think it's mainly the hardware you're using. Along with the fact that the game is still in Alpha and has yet to really be optimized, you still need decent hardware to run the game efficiently. Your CPU might be a little under speed @ 1.7 GHz, and even though 6 GB is a decent amount of RAM, it might not hurt to get at least 2 GB more; and if the Intel HD 4400 is the only graphics you're using, then that definitely might be part of the issue (if not the issue entirely). Like I said above, my laptop also has Intel HD 4400 graphics, but it also has the GeForce card which would (at least it's supposed to) take over once an application that required it started running, and I still got fairly bad performance. Personally, I think your best bet is to either A.) play the game on a desktop system, as I usually do, or B.) upgrade your laptop to an actual gaming notebook, like an Alienware (for example). If you go with A, then check out my current PC specs below in my signature; using this hardware, I'm currently running the game on either Normal or High settings, with a pretty decent FPS (not sure exactly what my FPS; I'll have to check it). Like I said, the game hasn't really been optimized yet, so even higher-end systems probably won't be able to run it at max settings and maintain a decent FPS; once it hits Beta, then hopefully the optimization will come into play.

Hi there, I have 2 things to say

1: I have a gaming desktop at home that can run it no problem (not sure of exact specs on it), so that's not a problem

and 2: Is it possible to add another graphics card to a laptop? I know it is obviously possible on a desktop tower, but I did some research a while ago and came to the result that you couldn't upgrade/add another gpu if you have a laptop with integrated card.

Anyway, thanks. I know my hardware sucks but it was a gift from my parents for schoolwork mostly, and obviously they didn't want to fork out a ton of cash because they don't understand the advantages of better hardware :P

Hi there, I have 2 things to say

1: I have a gaming desktop at home that can run it no problem (not sure of exact specs on it), so that's not a problem

and 2: Is it possible to add another graphics card to a laptop? I know it is obviously possible on a desktop tower, but I did some research a while ago and came to the result that you couldn't upgrade/add another gpu if you have a laptop with integrated card.

Anyway, thanks. I know my hardware sucks but it was a gift from my parents for schoolwork mostly, and obviously they didn't want to fork out a ton of cash because they don't understand the advantages of better hardware :P

Follow these steps:

Open DayZ

Go to settings.

Go to Video.

Change your resolution to the one that has a 200 percent next to it.

Also in video select User Interface and choose your moniter's max resolution.

Disable AA and edge smoothing.

Change all settings to "normal" .

What's interested about this step is that even though you have settings at normal it looks like the settings are actually on ultra, with no FPS drop, it's all thanks to super sampling which is the 200 percent resolution.

--------------------------------------------

Go to documents.

Select the DayZ folder.

Open DayZ.cfg with notepad.

I forgot the default value but change it to this:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Select File at the top left then select save.

Right click the CFG file and select properties.

Check Read Only then select apply and ok.

Go into steam library, right click dayz, select properties, select launch options and put this in their:

-nosplash -skipintro -noPause cpuCount=2 -maxMem =6144 -exThreads=4 -high

Edited by AnthonyBuggg
  • Like 1

Follow these steps:

Open DayZ

Go to settings.

Go to Video.

Change your resolution to the one that has a 200 percent next to it.

Also in video select User Interface and choose your moniter's max resolution.

Disable AA and edge smoothing.

Change all settings to "normal" .

What's interested about this step is that even though you have settings at normal it looks like the settings are actually on ultra, with no FPS drop, it's all thanks to super sampling which is the 200 percent resolution.

--------------------------------------------

Go to documents.

Select the DayZ folder.

Open DayZ.cfg with notepad.

I forgot the default value but change it to this:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Select File at the top left then select save.

Right click the CFG file and select properties.

Check Read Only then select apply and ok.

Go into steam library, right click dayz, select properties, select launch options and put this in their:

-nosplash -skipintro -noPause cpuCount=2 -maxMem =6144 -exThreads=4 -high

Thanks, I will try out the top section but I have some concerns about the bottom. I am slightly afraid to mess with the config files, as I don't want to screw something up and mess up my whole game. Is it possible to make a copy of the files in a different folder first, then edit them? I would want to do this so I still have a copy of the original files if something goes wrong. Thanks!

Thanks, I will try out the top section but I have some concerns about the bottom. I am slightly afraid to mess with the config files, as I don't want to screw something up and mess up my whole game. Is it possible to make a copy of the files in a different folder first, then edit them? I would want to do this so I still have a copy of the original files if something goes wrong. Thanks!

I laughed very hard at this... It's not even editing your game... Just your graphics... But if your still so un-sure copy everything in the CFG and make a new notepad file and paste all the stuff in their and save it as dayzconfigcopy.

Also if you don't mind i would love to see you try the my graphics tips really quick... I like to see the amazement in people's comments when the get a 40 fps boost :D Oh and post here if it works!

Edited by AnthonyBuggg

I laughed very hard at this... It's not even editing your game... Just your graphics... But if your still so un-sure copy everything in the CFG and make a new notepad file and paste all the stuff in their and save it as dayzconfigcopy.

Also if you don't mind i would love to see you try the my graphics tips really quick... I like to see the amazement in people's comments when the get a 40 fps boost :D Oh and post here if it works!

Lol, alright. I will go do it right now and report back. Gimme 10 minutes

I tried your graphics tips, and they work great! I was on a night server so I didn't get the full effect, but I noticed the biggest change was when I bumped my resolution up to 200% and to my monitors maximum res, as the first one was only at 150% and the 2nd one was on like the 2nd to minimum out of like 10 options, so that made all of the pictures and words look perfectly clear now, and my fps looks slightly faster, not a ton though. Maybe a 10 fps increase? idk, still enough to make a signifigant difference though. Also just looking through the forest, I could see that the trees/grass looked really good too. I might mess with the config files too later like you said, im extremely happy with how it looks right now, you have my beans!

You should check this out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/28cla2/dayz_sa_frame_optimization_launch_options_fov/

Has some pretty well rounded options there. I use to game on my laptop before I built my new rig so I feel your pain. DayZ atm is in 32 bit so the optimization is not great, once it migrates to 64 bit you will see much better improvements.