Sign in to follow this  
Acher0n

Lets talk about sniping.

So im sat in Novo, with a mosin, longhorn, mp5 and fnx45.

I only keep the longhorn because its rare, the fnx for backup and the mp5 is useless because i have 90 rounds and no mags.

I gave up searching for them a long time ago and now play sniper.

Just spawned and saw two losers actually prone on top of the sniper tower. Managed to kill one, the second crawled inside, then mosin shots and other rounds started coming at me from all over. Note to self: Do not snipe from the rocks in novo.

So, im thinking of ditching novo, but i want a high traffic place to snipe. I cant be bothered sitting for 30 minutes on a 40-man server and seeing one guy run past a house from 800m away.

Any suggestions where I should check out? The coast is tempting but i cant think of anywhere good enough to snipe without the risk of someone getting too close with an axe or pistol to end my good run.

The longhorn is hilariously useless. 

• Like 6

I've found the looking for a "reliable" sniping place is similar to trying to choose the right checkout lane in a busy supermarket or the right security line at the airport. It's entirely random on whether you'll see someone in 30 minutes. And part of that "reliable" part is a place with a great field of view and defensible (someone isn't likely to wander onto you without you seeing them coming). I won't snipe one of the common places either, such as the apt buildings, it's too cliche. I've tried the rocks before, it's got a great field of view but it's not looking at those main streets where the looters are likely to be. Also keep in mind that on the rocks, if you drop your weapon you're likely to lose it (either you won't be able to pick it up or the object will disappear)... or you'll randomly fall through the rocks and die. Rocks are so goddamn buggy.

• Like 2

The longhorn is hilariously useless. 

If you suck with it. I have 7 kills with it under my belt.  Its actually pretty damn good if you know how to use it

So, im thinking of ditching novo, but i want a high traffic place to snipe. I cant be bothered sitting for 30 minutes on a 40-man server and seeing one guy run past a house from 800m away.

Patience is a snipers greatest gift.

Plus descreetness is life saving. Means a serious sniper will not reveal his spots.

But you just may watch some youtube and you will find poeple showing their places, which does not mean that they did not wait there for 50 min before the recording started..

If you want quick action, you better drop the mosin, grab an SKS and head NEAF..

but i cant think of anywhere good enough to snipe without the risk of someone getting too close with an axe or pistol to end my good run.

Lol, so you wan't a spot where you are totally safe plus have 20 players per hour passing that are easy kills? I don't know. Maybe rethink what you ask for 'cause you won't get it ;)

That's the point of sniping. Get teammate who will back you up is the only option to avoid this. Plus double the Alt Key, so you don't move while looking around, what reveals you.

Edited by Andwari
  • Like 1

If you suck with it. I have 7 kills with it under my belt.  Its actually pretty damn good if you know how to use it

I mean you can't put it in a holster, it's obsolete as soon as you find a rifle, and is a chambered 1 shot...and in a game where you can hit someone with the mosin up to 3 times before they die, yeah...it's kind of useless.

Oh but it has a scope...woohoo...

• Like 2

I mean you can't put it in a holster, it's obsolete as soon as you find a rifle, and is a chambered 1 shot...and in a game where you can hit someone with the mosin up to 3 times before they die, yeah...it's kind of useless.

Oh but it has a scope...woohoo...

Did you even read my post?  The gun is only as good as its user, so if you are a shit shot, then its not for you.  Like I said, 7 kills with it.  Its incredibly easy to use and get kills with.

can confirm.Longhorn is indead useless. It's effective range is 100 meters, better than any pistol however, 1 bullet only. I found it, I dropped it. Blaze is more useful with no scope because it can actually hit target at 300 meters.

Longhorn plus LRS would make it valuable...imagine a pocket sniper rifle for those woth AKMs/M4s perfect for when you got one good snipe opportunity but dont want to lug a mousin around

I've been sniping in Berezino lately and in my opinion, it is without a doubt the best place for pvp. If you want to snipe on a full server, you have to keep on moving from position to position if you shoot once. Try spotting the town for like 5-6 minutes and you'll find a target. I guess you're playing as a bandit and KoS ;o Anyways, when you have found a decent quite inconspicuous spot, don't move at all. Watch your back all the time in 3rd person with the alt key. If you have an FNX as a backup you should be good if you hear footsteps around and can react fast enough. And btw. if you want to checkout a badass sniper (best sniper in dayz in my opinion) go to that streamer's channel Anthony Kongphan. I watch his streams everytime and I am always surprised how he hits them 900m+ kills. 

Cheers

I think you need to rename your topic; let's talk about camping. Because that's what you're really talking about, isn't it, where can you camp for kills?

Any suggestions where I should check out?

Battlefield 4?

Call of Duty?

• Like 5

Berenzino is a death trap still so tahts a good place (normally around the Police station area of Berenzino (Its like candy there for people who kos. I snuck up on a sniper and snipped him in the back of the head from 30m away and laughed because i knew he was just being a dick (Im a bandit hunter.)

Did you even read my post?  The gun is only as good as its user, so if you are a shit shot, then its not for you.  Like I said, 7 kills with it.  Its incredibly easy to use and get kills with.

It's useless because it's drawbacks outweigh any of the positive features. Sure it shoots 7.62, but why use that rather than a mosin. You can't even remove the scope on the longhorn to use the iron sights, and who on earth would rather have a gun you have to manually chamber each shot that a boly action rifle with 5 shots? I mean that's cool and all that you have killed 7 people with it and everything. Wanna cookie? I'm sure someone has managed to kill somebody with the MP5 and that thing is absolute garbage. Just because you have killed someone with a shitty gun does not make it...not...a shitty gun

The Longhorn is just a gimmicky gun. I've killed a few people with it, but only when I couldn't find a Mosin. It definitely gets dropped as soon as I do.

• Like 1

Meh, I like the longhorn. I have no need for a rifle, which I consider easy mode.

Meh, I like the longhorn. I have no need for a rifle, which I consider easy mode.

Rifles....

hipster-barista-template-thumb.jpg

Too mainstream

• Like 4

plenty of players still at berezino, the north end by the gas station/police station....always find players there on high pops, usually blowing up the gas station.

I play with a blindfold over my eyes, and with my fingers duct taped into a huge clubhand just to make it more interesting. I have also been known to stroke my e-peen by doing things that make no sense whatsoever, but that's just me.  B)

• Like 1

Sniping is dangerous wherever you do it tbh. Me and my buddies from the mod had a little saying " If you think its a good spot......other people will as well" Its always best to have a buddy in a different nest, you can pull fire for eachother when you need to move or just have him spot. Having him as far from you as poss is good so that when peeps take cover from your fire, he has LoS from  the other angle.

Id guess electro would still have a bit of traffic, maybe more the nostalgic mod players though....and most of them will check both hillsides to the north before entering. If its a bit quiet there head up to Berezino, looooads of nests around that place :)

The best sniping places are 900+ meters away from your target. If you're looking for easy spots to snipe from, prepare for people to easily counter snipe. 

• Like 1

can confirm.Longhorn is indead useless. It's effective range is 100 meters, better than any pistol however, 1 bullet only. I found it, I dropped it. Blaze is more useful with no scope because it can actually hit target at 300 meters.

Plus the blaze can instantly kill people with two chest shots in a row, in terms of time to kill i guess this is the fastest there is

but in terms of the longhorn, i will stick to my revolver thank you very much ;)

Plus the blaze can instantly kill people with two chest shots in a row, in terms of time to kill i guess this is the fastest there is

but in terms of the longhorn, i will stick to my revolver thank you very much ;)

I....

LOVE the blaze. I will sacrifice speed to dual carry a mosin/other gun/whatever on my back and have the blaze in my hands. If things get hot, pop off the two shots and drop it (if i don't have a speed loader) then sling my next gun out. It hits like a freight train and that's awesome.

• Like 1