timoseewho

Seeing bullet counts in character/bag screen

Hi, I think it'd be nice to be able to see your bullet count in the character/bag screen for guns like Mosin, SKS, basically anything without a magazine/clip. I don't think this kills immersion does it?

If you keep your gear organized, it's very easy to count your ammo... if you don't, then you shouldn't have an easy way to count it.  I think it's pretty realistic the way it is.

then you can add healthpoints, hit-direction, killcount to the hud too and call it like any other modern egoshooter.

Just put your ammo on your hot bar and it'll explain how many rounds you have.

Did NOT know that... Great tip!

Edited by way455

TIL

Thanks!

Did NOT know that... Great tip!

TIL

Thanks!

9NCIJm1.jpg

Anytime Gentlemen.

then you can add healthpoints, hit-direction, killcount to the hud too and call it like any other modern egoshooter.

Do not see in why that would be a problem. You can not -feel- the pain so you might as well get a visual indicator ... 

Dunno why spicing up the interface would somehow make the game worse. Mechanics will stay the same, it will just be more informative and thus more user-friendly. More user-friendly means more people will play it.

Anyhow, if you want to make it realistic there should be no ammo count at all but just a rough indication and a way to weigh clips, like in Red Orchestra.

Do not see in why that would be a problem. You can not -feel- the pain so you might as well get a visual indicator ...

Because we already get a visual indicator.

"OH GOD MY LEG HURTS SO BAD. YOU GOT SHOT. I'M GOING TO DIE. I AM FEELING THIRSTY."

"OH GOD MY LEG HURTS SO BAD. YOU GOT SHOT. I'M GOING TO DIE. I AM FEELING THIRSTY."

you are getting wet

• Like 1

you are getting wet

You are not getting wet.

Hit direction indicator isn't a bad idea. When you get hit in real life you physically detect where and from which direction

Hit direction indicator isn't a bad idea. When you get hit in real life you physically detect where and from which direction

Exactly. Well, to some degree I assume, any way.

And even those could be more informative. Perhaps a little hint telling you what you could possibly do in the first few hours, or a number of how many day/night-cycles the game estimates you've got to go on. I mean, if I were starving I could probably tell when I am about to keel over.

On the other hand, I have never starved to death before. It's all new to me, baby.

if I were starving I could probably tell when I am about to keel over.

On the other hand, I have never starved to death before. It's all new to me, baby.

It goes a little bit more into detail in the tab menu though, depending on the severity. Red hunger means you really need to eat. Green means you really don't. I think that system is fine.

Ok the limited indication isn't a bad thing, in real life arguments aside. The medical system in the game is simplistic enough that you don't need more detail.

My leg really hurts = better take a look at that!

It doesn't need to be my left femur hurts. There doesn't need to be some complex mini-game of setting a fracture before you splint it.

A rudimentary blood level indicator would be nice for a change yes. I mean you can tell when you've gotten a pint low. The "b&w" screen doesn't help me much. I've gotten that trying to find enough water or a charcoal tab to puke up bad fruit. Slightly blurring your vision every minute or so would e better.

A rudimentary blood level indicator would be nice for a change yes. I mean you can tell when you've gotten a pint low. The "b&w" screen doesn't help me much. I've gotten that trying to find enough water or a charcoal tab to puke up bad fruit. Slightly blurring your vision every minute or so would e better.

Yeah, that definitely needs some improvement.

The food indicators work O.K indeed.

you are getting wet

v5LsJOs.jpg

"Boy you gon' learn tonight! Mmmhmmm!"

/banjos play in back ground

• Like 1

Several other games have managed to nail this just perfectly, The Forest comes directly to mind, where you need to stop and open your backpack in order to see what you have. Rust, while I hate to admit it, also have a similiar mechanic in, not sure if that has changed in the past few months, though. I know several other games also present similiar solutions, both to ammo count and the like, and if I might say so, I doubt DayZ will ever manage to nail the survival properties of the earlier mentioned games, unfortunately.

Edited by Santa fox

Several other games have managed to nail this just perfectly, The Forest comes directly to mind, where you need to stop and open your backpack in order to see what you have. Rust, while I hate to admit it, also have a similiar mechanic in, not sure if that has changed in the past few months, though. I know several other games also present similiar solutions, both to ammo count and the like, and if I might say so, I doubt DayZ will ever manage to nail the survival properties of the earlier mentioned games, unfortunately.

I'm not sure I agree. I dislike the idea of having to stop, open my backpack and have a look around - especially in a game where there could be a zombie or a player just around the corner. 

I noticed you edited your post a bit - I agree that DayZ may not be able to compete with survival properties, but I'm okay with that. There's a fine line between playing a Zombie game and Sims with a Zombie expansion. 

Bullet counters aren't in immersive assuming your have 3 30rnd magazines you know off hand you have 90rnds plus the magazine in your weapon so that's 120rdns now you expend a magazine back to 90rnds, this is something you'd constantly be aware if as a survivor, rather than automatically count off rounds from the magazine you could have an animation like condemned where you pull the mag to check round count to have that subtracted

I'm not sure I agree. I dislike the idea of having to stop, open my backpack and have a look around - especially in a game where there could be a zombie or a player just around the corner. 

I noticed you edited your post a bit - I agree that DayZ may not be able to compete with survival properties, but I'm okay with that. There's a fine line between playing a Zombie game and Sims with a Zombie expansion. 

It was more aimed at the fact that DayZ seems to be more of a open survival sim, that is semi - realistic. I merely pointed out there are far better games in the same genre, that provide far better than DayZ will ever will, as a slight sidenote. DayZ, I sincerely doubt will ever become a true survival sim, due to things that have been replicated far better by other games, whom also cater to the survival semi realistic sim as DayZ does. In this regard, I believe DayZ was a stillborn.

• Like 1

It was more aimed at the fact that DayZ seems to be more of a open survival sim, that is semi - realistic. I merely pointed out there are far better games in the same genre, that provide far better than DayZ will ever will, as a slight sidenote. DayZ, I sincerely doubt will ever become a true survival sim, due to things that have been replicated far better by other games, whom also cater to the survival semi realistic sim as DayZ does. In this regard, I believe DayZ was a stillborn.

I think you are very much underestimating the dev team, this isn't a ground up build, this is a rebuild of a one man teams garage mod. They have to tear it all the way down then rebuild it. I think that launch will be a pretty polished monster further polished by patches and community mods

I think you are very much underestimating the dev team, this isn't a ground up build, this is a rebuild of a one man teams garage mod. They have to tear it all the way down then rebuild it. I think that launch will be a pretty polished monster further polished by patches and community mods

Perchance, in which case the "Rocket steps down 2014-12-30 as it is done by then" deadline seems a bit silly. I know of a team who has reworked a mod, after being given the source code since the 16th of July last year, that is over a year, and they are just amateurs. However, they have been able to accomplish more than the DayZ team has accomplished in 7 months. My hopes were extremely high for this game, though, for every week that goes by, it drops even further, and by now, I doubt they will ever be able to make it into any kind of survival sim, that plenty of other games have managed to accomplish already, with an even smaller team than DayZ has.