Sign in to follow this  
Death By Crowbar

DayZ Zombies, an attempt to diagnose the zed condition

I think they are certainly more '28 days later' style, but just called zombies because "DayInfectedHuman" doesn't have the same ring to it.

I think they are certainly more '28 days later' style, but just called zombies because "DayInfectedHuman" doesn't have the same ring to it.

True although DayRage has a ring too it especially with current bugs lol
  • Like 1

Well, there is a whole heck of a lot more to be done to the backstory.  Why are there no police or military roadblocks?  Where are the mass graves?  How come we have not seen the spontaneous memorial walls and bulletin boards asking if you have seen this or that person?  No directions to loved ones to meet here or there.  No one, in all of Chernarus, it would appear so far, made any attempt to reinforce their home to shelter in place.  

in SA yes there are none... in Mod there were alot. Green mountain was basically a mass grave, thats were the creepy Green Mountain stories come from.

You realize Rabies could possibly go airborne. In doing so it would not lose it's imperative to bite over night as that would be a different genetic mutation that would only slowly be weeded out as no longer being evolutionary necessary to spread.

The main reason people did theorize about Rabies being a possible "Zombie" virus is that people infected with Rabies fit many of what people consider "zombie traits".

While it could go airborne that requires a mutation, and non man made viruses when they mutate usually lose some of their lethality. But i am neither a Microbiologist nor a Viroligist so i wouldn't be the most knowledgable here.

Hmm its been widely known for a while that the zeds are infected rather than the dead type but what i dont understand is how this infection makes some people hop like a frog cross dog thing??? Hey dont get me wrong i like the hoppers because of there low profile they are harder to spot and take you by surprise but they dont make much sense from an infected point of view.

PS i still prefer the idea of actual undead style zeds as the lore can be anything you want no one can debunk it with science as its fictional supernatural plus it makes sense because if they were infected and 99% of people were infected outright( basicly reason there no mass graves police blocks etc as no time for any of that ( this is just a guess)) then the whole apoc be over in a few months due to starving out ( in once they have gotten all the people they can to eat they would starve out quickly as wild animals would be impossible to run down and attempting to  would just lead to these infected dying out from starvation/dehydration much faster.

LMAO

Yeah I think the OP with his years of medical experience probably has it spot on.

While it could go airborne that requires a mutation, and non man made viruses when they mutate usually lose some of their lethality. But i am neither a Microbiologist nor a Viroligist so i wouldn't be the most knowledgable here.

Well, that certainly isn't true. Many viruses when they mutate become MORE lethal. Viruses mutate constantly. Check out the Spanish Flu also known as the 1918 Pandemic.

I mean it is improbable for a virus to go from a body fluid transfer to airborne, but it is not unheard of. Who knows... maybe it had some human help doing so.

You mean like the fungus that infects ants?

Holy shit! This reminds me of "The Last of Us" where the fungus infects humans.

Insanely cool video btw.

• Like 1

Holy shit! This reminds me of "The Last of Us" where the fungus infects humans.

Insanely cool video btw.

Reminds you of? Where did you think they got the idea?

Reminds you of? Where did you think they got the idea?

Hmm, my knowledge in this field is subpar at best. Gonna watch more National Geographic to close the gap before it gets out of hand.

There's some other parasite out there, a worm i recall - it infects the host and influences the brain in a way that makes it seem as if the worm is 'going fishing'

using the host as the bait and transport, a host is consumed and the worm transferred up the food chain.  Each time the host becomes an attractive meal to something larger than the last.

In this fashion, it's hunting the predator, as the stronger carnivore must kill the host and consume its flesh for transmission.

Do you mean certain suborders of isopods? This was investigated in the movie 'The Bay'.

The infected in DayZ are dissimilar to any other I can think of in zombie lore as they don't seem to have a specific mechanism to pass any infection on, this does suggest that whatever it is will be airborne. Isolating the cause of the transformation of the infected would be very difficult which always leads to very interesting discussions.

I'm a water quality microbiologist and have always been interested in this kind of scenario and what could cause it.

Prion based infection. Bird and livestock transmitted.Blood to blood transmission is also possible. Symptoms are coughing, insomnia, mental instability then insanity.

That's my take on it anyways.

Well, that certainly isn't true. Many viruses when they mutate become MORE lethal. Viruses mutate constantly. Check out the Spanish Flu also known as the 1918 Pandemic.

I mean it is improbable for a virus to go from a body fluid transfer to airborne, but it is not unheard of. Who knows... maybe it had some human help doing so.

yes i know of that and yes they can become more lethal.. it is very rare for them to change transfer mechanism, and as i pointed out NATURALLY it is rare but with human intervention it is very common. I have a relative that actually works with the US government on creating defenses against bioweapons. The first step in this is by making the nastiest virus you can in a lab and then building defenses against it. Some of the stories she tells when you get a few rounds in her give me chills to this day.

Or maybe their just Zombies....

One does not simply just become a zombie without any reason at all.

And before you post something useless, try looking up how to properly type said useless comment.

They're, not their. Their is possessive. They're is short for they are

And people said you can't learn anything from video games. Psh. We'll show them!

One does not simply just become a zombie without any reason at all.

And before you post something useless, try looking up how to properly type said useless comment.

They're, not their. Their is possessive. They're is short for they are

And people said you can't learn anything from video games. Psh. We'll show them!

Is this by chance your nations flag?

79SUsRa.jpg

Edited by MadWookie

Is this by chance your nations flag?

What? Expecting someone to know how to correctly communicate in a forum? Wait, doesn't forum mean a place to discuss things, to communicate? I believe it does Other Barry. So does this mean someone should probably put some effort into knowing how to communicate their thoughts? Yes, I believe is does Other Barry.

tumblr_mlt9h4g12r1rn6r6bo1_400.jpg