Lithium1056

Passive stats

Because everyone is the same with the same stuff and same opportunities and same dangers, and its down to what you do with it (and the game is going to kill you anyway) this makes a game where players can do completely different things, it's really open world, you can be a no-pants jesus freak, or you can fight a geared military player with your bare fists, or you can live in the forest, or you can play military police... no one is "better" or "worse" than anyone else, there can't be a winner - its always down to you what happens (and you're still going to die anyway). So nobody should get any points or game advantages for anything at all. Not even the slightest.

If you find a water bottle you can carry water - that's the advantage you just won, nothing else.

Spoken like a true player. 

• Like 3

Exactly. DayZ "skills" are about what a player can do, not his/her character. It becomes clear after you spend a couple of months or years playing with other people.

My group started playing DayZ over 2 years ago. We all started as noobs but then we started to learn.

Now it's very clear to me how each of us improved, got better. Some of us learn faster, some slower.

You could even go as far as saying we have different character classes: out of 7 people we have one brilliant pilot (as long as he's sober) and at the same time we have designated drivers (2 of us just kept crashing cars to the point where we no longer let them drive). Some excell at sniping, others are great in cqc, there's a guy that always have extra food and water to share etc.

Just enjoy the game. Sooon you'll realize how unique experience it offers.

Exactly. DayZ "skills" are about what a player can do, not his/her character. It becomes clear after you spend a couple of months or years playing with other people.

My group started playing DayZ over 2 years ago. We all started as noobs but then we started to learn.

Now it's very clear to me how each of us improved, got better. Some of us learn faster, some slower.

You could even go as far as saying we have different character classes: out of 7 people we have one brilliant pilot (as long as he's sober) and at the same time we have designated drivers (2 of us just kept crashing cars to the point where we no longer let them drive). Some excell at sniping, others are great in cqc, there's a guy that always have extra food and water to share etc.

Just enjoy the game. Sooon you'll realize how unique experience it offers.

That sir is all fine and dandy....... When we have that, this however is directed towards stand alone. Which at the moment is dirty and nasty and turning left might kill you. I'm am seriously considering grabbing Arma2 on it's next steam sale cycle though and trying the mod out

That sir is all fine and dandy....... When we have that, this however is directed towards stand alone. Which at the moment is dirty and nasty and turning left might kill you. I'm am seriously considering grabbing Arma2 on it's next steam sale cycle though and trying the mod out

You should give it a try. I strongly advise to try out servers with most basic settings and staying away from Epoch/Overwatch and any server that has extra 1000 vehicles + weapons.

I hate to say that, but: SA is still under developement. It's still in Alpha state, which means that we should be testing stuff rather than expecting to have a great time.

That's why this is the suggestions board lol. I'm pretty sure everything major has been discovered "and now we wait!" Once we hit the next development phase? Yeh we can find new bugs right now every "issue" I've encountered has been "reported" so it's gear up kill or be killed, wash rent repeat!

Next couple weeks are decision time as far as the mod/arma goes lol until then I wait

Based on current developement speed I'd say: check out the mod to see what you can expect in SA and then just enjoy your summer.

Right now, yeah, we pretty much wait and report bugs. Devs have a decent plan what they want to implement in upcomming months.

Tents and persistant storage should be a big game-changer for people unfamiliar with the mod, but it seems like we might have to wait a couple of months for them.

Even if we get surprised with some big update it will probably take at least a month to go from experimental to stable.

Let me think....

Oh yes Rocket and rest of Devs

Who has stated when asked that yes he would like to have player's lives mean something, not just their gear? Hmmmmmmmm....

Who has stated when asked that yes he would like to have player's lives mean something, not just their gear? Hmmmmmmmm....

Source ?

One of the 10 or so SA playing sessions where he was answering questions. Much like where a lot of the information about vehicles and future medical or nutrition systems info has come from. I'm at work so I can't listen to 18+ hours of them and find the specific one and timestamp for you. 

I didn't read all the posts here, but if you're interested ins kills, here's a decent thread that was popular pretty recently.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/183479-perksskillsprofessionsstats/?hl=skill

Think I've read that but it relies on a more in depth RPG system.

My concept is more akin to the system in GTA V: Online (although there you can see your stats) and resets on death (furthering your reason to survive) I'm glad to see positive responses here, and expected the negative which is why I mentioned seperate server/character hive or furure mod potential.

The way it functions in GTA online is simple repetitive action over time increases each stat (in it's case Driving, Flying, Stealth, shooting, strength, breath, and health.) because it uses a rudimentary level system it's applied it's health stat to increase every 20 or so levels. But health wouldn't be a DayZ thing.

The primary one here every one seems to be opposed to is anything that helps you shoot. Which I fully understand. And I see where people don't like that. They only thing I could really see it changing in a DayZ setting though is things like sway, the amount of "hold breath" time, possibly reload speed which would only be effected I you had a magazine or clip. Etc. but I can also see where that could be bad.

My over all idea was based more towards retail endgame where survival meant something. The ability to better mend clothing or build fires. Melee which is mostly used against zombies and should only effect zombies.

But I can see my concept right now is not a likely scenario

I don't see anything wrong with this. You get better at something if you do it over and over again in real life. It's called practice, or training. So what if some douchebag can exploit this - from a realistic perspective, he's just 'training' harder to be the best he can at a certain thing.

If "nothing in the game is difficult", why do you want to grind to make things easier for yourself ?

Who said this exactly?

You take it all wrong, I want us to have total shit aim, total shit bandage and crafting times, poor stamina etc in the beginning and then be able to build up to like what we have now or slightly better, nothing like perfect aim or instant healing.

I want it to begin as a soul crushingly difficult experience and then be able to build up and appreciate a characters life instead of being able to YOLO everything and get geared up in less than an hour.

Who said this exactly?

You take it all wrong, I want us to have total shit aim, total shit bandage and crafting times, poor stamina etc in the beginning and then be able to build up to like what we have now or slightly better, nothing like perfect aim or instant healing.

I want it to begin as a soul crushingly difficult experience and then be able to build up and appreciate a characters life instead of being able to YOLO everything and get geared up in less than an hour.

But that will give an advantage to people who can put in more time into this game, or have a group of friends because they will die less. 

Edited by General Zod

Something like this is not needed. For those of you that think it is, think about it like this. The more you play, the better you will be at it. This covers everything from shooting to surviving.

Like I said would almost have to be per life.

Not just almost, nothing should persist between lives. I like this idea as a way to give your character value beyond it's equipment.

Crafting wise, here is an additional idea: Every crafting recipe has to be prototyped at 3-4 times the required ingredients once per life. So the clear benefit of not dying here is that you won't have to waste resources prototyping your crafting recipes again.

• Like 1

I kind of like your idea, Lithium.   Passive stats could work in some ways.  The major benefit of passive stats is that it is a time sink.  Time sinks get people to play mmos more.  That part can't be bad.

Introducing passive stats that improve combat effectiveness is a dangerous thing.  I would be all for passive stats that increased your percentages for things like: food saved when opening a can, making fish bite your line faster, retaining more meat when you skin an animal, applying medication to fix an ailment, and things like that.

Making your aim better, being able to run faster, less blood loss, and what have you that gives one player an advantage over another in combat probably isn't wise.

before I finished reading your post I had figured out how best to exploit your skill system with the least amount of effort and risk while allowing maximum benefit - damn that was easy.

as for the class system - never. go play WoW.

Now hold on there, a class system is indeed over the top, we don't need that, but some parts have potential: for instance: When you run allot, you will increase your body's condition and won't get out of breath so fast (steady aim down sight), when you shoot guns allot you will have a better bullet group, this reflects to more things in real life, the more you do it the better you get at it.

This however should be invisible (aka no skill list of perk list) and would add value to a long surviving character, thus preventing suicide, because suicide means all the skills you acquired by learning and repeating (during the survival of course) will be lost and have to be re-acquired.

But that will give an advantage to people who can put in more time into this game, or have a group of friends because they will die less. 

So? Then they can get better at the game and play smart or get their own friends. Good way to encourage interaction too.

You have like no hope against people with friends now anyway so it barely makes a difference you just couldn't go YOLO, take one out and easily dispatch the others with his gun as your characters aim would be pathetic.

Right now people mostly go find guns right away, emphasis should be on exploring and getting gear to survive not running to an airfield getting guns and shooting everyone.

PVP would be so much more tense if you'd got your aim up for 100's of hours, if you died it would be a huge loss. You could respawn and maybe get your gear back again but it's not going to be easy for you.

It would be a great way to make death matter.

Crafting wise, here is an additional idea: Every crafting recipe has to be prototyped at 3-4 times the required ingredients once per life. So the clear benefit of not dying here is that you won't have to waste resources prototyping your crafting recipes again.

Yeah I thought of something like that too maybe prototypes should be damaged or worn and then when you master making it pristine depending on the ingredients.

And then if it's a splint or other applicable item you have to use it many times and then you can apply it slightly faster.

This system does give people who play a long time an advantage...but having an M4 when someone has nothing is already an advantage, if someone is going to kill a fresh spawn now they're going to die anyway.

At least it would take KOSers longer to get good aim instead of picking up anything and being Aiming Jesus.

I still see no legit reason why it would be bad just a bunch of people who don't want the game to make things more difficult for them.

Something like this is not needed. For those of you that think it is, think about it like this. The more you play, the better you will be at it. This covers everything from shooting to surviving.

Nope not at all what that means. The more I play it never makes killing a zed with a wrench any easier

Nope not at all what that means. The more I play it never makes killing a zed with a wrench any easier

So, you really want a "wrench killing" skill? And yes, playing more can increase your wrench killing ability. Every melee fight you get into should increase your ability to fight with melee weapons until you are able to fight without getting hit most of the time.

So, you really want a "wrench killing" skill? And yes, playing more can increase your wrench killing ability. Every melee fight you get into should increase your ability to fight with melee weapons until you are able to fight without getting hit most of the time.

not a wrench skill no, but over time you would grow stronger meaning it would require less blows with a wrench to kill a zed. And my ability to dodge a hit has nothing to do with my ability to swing.

So? Then they can get better at the game and play smart or get their own friends. Good way to encourage interaction too.

So that's not the type of game Dean wants DayZ to be. 

Edited by General Zod

So that's not the type of game Dean wants DayZ to be. 

Who gives a shit? That's the kind of game it should be, the playerbase is a mess virtually every online playerbase is a mess even Minecraft is just full of uncooperative douchebags...

What would be bad about DayZ being different from the typical mentality?

It makes it an original game, currently it's not.

it would make sense to have passive skills

the more you do something the better you get at it irl

perfect for dayz and realism

maybe not with aiming but more on handling the recoil and such for follow up shots