Acher0n

Is looting at night much safer?

I dropped into a server yesterday and I was at NEAF. It was about 5am, but still looked pretty dark. Tbh it was just like playing in black and white but it clearly offered much more cover, I felt safer and thought I could hide easier if someone wanted to attack.

Is there any real bonus in looting dangerous areas at night, or does everyone just change their brightness or whatever so i'm just in as much danger as daytime?

A lot of people just change the brightness.  Looting at night is both safer and more dangerous in some ways.  See the following:

PROS

-Many people won't play at night so its easier to find very low-pop servers

-It is MUCH harder to spot someone at night if you play with normal light settings, and slightly harder even if you turn up the gamma

-Zombies don't seem to be attracted to flashlights so you can use them to see loot at night

CONS

-Remember, if they can't see you, you can't see them = DANGER

-Zombies are harder to spot at long range in order to shoot/axe them without damage at night

-If other players are on the server, they WILL see your flashlight... currently walls and objects do not stop light so it blazes through and can be seen on the outside

Good luck and good hunting!!!

• Like 1

It depends by what you mean by night time, at the minute there is plenty of moon in the sky so visibility is great, when it is very dark make sure and wear dark clothes that way people who have gamma cranked can't really see you unless you move and is much safer that is why I prefer playing in proper darkness. All that being said Dayz has never been easier to play at night than it is now compared to the past, you should give it a whirl its great fun - I just wouldn't go charging into NWAF in the dark specially in low pop servers.  I died yesterday because of it ran into a psycho just sitting waiting in a jail, brutally executed - nasty.

A lot of people just change the brightness.  Looting at night is both safer and more dangerous in some ways.  See the following:

PROS

-Many people won't play at night so its easier to find very low-pop servers

-It is MUCH harder to spot someone at night if you play with normal light settings, and slightly harder even if you turn up the gamma

-Zombies don't seem to be attracted to flashlights so you can use them to see loot at night

CONS

-Remember, if they can't see you, you can't see them = DANGER

-Zombies are harder to spot at long range in order to shoot/axe them without damage at night

-If other players are on the server, they WILL see your flashlight... currently walls and objects do not stop light so it blazes through and can be seen on the outside

Good luck and good hunting!!!

Just two comments - On the bolded, zombies are attracted to light.  I found out because I was chased up a radio tower by a zed (this was a bad choice.)  I couldn't shoot him, hit him, nothing except descend or die from lack of water or jump off and start over basically.  Then I remembered I had my flashlight, turned it on and painted a spot out in the grass.  Zed turned and walked towards the spot.  However, Zed would not let me lead him with it far enough away for tme to escape, so my balloon of hope exploded like the Hindenberg.  But it was kind of funny making this gurgling zombie chase the lighted spot.  So yes, they are totally attracted to light.

I posted an idea in the suggestions area to help encourage people to play with gamma settings at normal.  I am curious as to what you might think about it.  All I ask is if you immediately hate it, give it a second and chew on it for a minute.  The gamma correction thing hurts the game, IMO.  In PvE situations who cares, but in PvP it is a hand wrapped cheat for babies to kill good players at a distance and is 100% unfair.  Playing at night in high PvP areas would be the way normal people whould behave, the same way all sorts of critters get active at night as an evolved defense mechanism.

Edited by Zombie Milkman
  • Like 1

Depends wherr u are looting...

Low pop night time servers attract people to millitary spawns like bees to honey.

There are not many big millitary loot areas...

So even with 5 or so people online ur odds are high they are at the nwaf/vybor base area or the balota-zelengorsk-pablano secret base area.

Also most hoppers do so at night so expect one area to be empty and then instantly another pops in behind u.

Honestly best time to loot NWAF is mid day on a high pop server....it is empty...just dont go upstairs cause right now when on high pop servers it glitches out and breaks ur legs when upstairs

• Like 1

Just two comments - On the bolded, zombies are attracted to light.  I found out because I was chased up a radio tower by a zed (this was a bad choice.)  I couldn't shoot him, hit him, nothing except descend or die from lack of water or jump off and start over basically.  Then I remembered I had my flashlight, turned it on and painted a spot out in the grass.  Zed turned and walked towards the spot.  However, Zed would not let me lead him with it far enough away for tme to escape, so my balloon of hope exploded like the Hindenberg.  But it was kind of funny making this gurgling zombie chase the lighted spot.  So yes, they are totally attracted to light.

Nice catch and a good story!  I never noticed that so i'll add it to my kit bag.  Cheers man!

It may sound stupid but it'd say:

As soon as you join any server with any time setting that has even just one other player besides yourself, consider yourself the unlucky SOB to come close to the other(s).

You could loot a big airfield on a 40 man server w/o problems during the day and be shot in the middle of nowhere (or at some rarer mil spawn) in the night with just 1-2 others on the server. Or maybe not be shot but at least encounter them somehow.

Both cases, even if a bit extreme, based on personal experience and hearsay.

I wouldn't necessarily say "looting" is easier during the night. Anything in the game is only easy if you're the only guy on the server, or if anyone else is allied / friendly. I do would say "moving around" is easier at night, however.

I use flares, gives you a more surrounding light than the directional torch, never tried the gas lamp, only found my first one and to be honest I couldn't be arsed even though the city I was in was riddled with gas canisters. Zombies aren't the problem you can run you know without losing the light, a player could probably spot you a million miles away with a flare but most servers I been in that is night time are in the process of joining then leaving because they don't look at the time of the server when joining a server just the player count. Though I think most night servers have already been cleaned out by everyone during its day time.

....just dont go upstairs cause right now when on high pop servers it glitches out and breaks ur legs when upstairs

Listen to this, this is 100% true. We had three guys with broken legs trying to save each other.  It was hysterical.

• Like 1

Listen to this, this is 100% true. We had three guys with broken legs trying to save each other.  It was hysterical.

This is the kind of thing that needs to be recorded.

But as for the topic at hand, night seems more dangerous. Literally all of my encounters with players at distances closer than 500 meters have all been at night, and most started off with one party or the other being startled, quickly followed by gunfire. These incidents account for literally all of my kills on other players. People are just jumpier at night I guess.

TBH, lighting up a building with the gas lamp at night looks pretty damn cool, I just wish you could see the lights from much further away.  If I see chem lights or flares at night I tend to go the other way as they are fairly new I am not too sure how long they persist.

Zeds do seem to be less likely to agro at night unless you get right up on them.

Personally, I feel safer at night than in the day.

Nothing says safe night-looting like a flare you can see from the other side of Chernaurus lol

one time when was night time black sky I don't see nothing I was try to do ninja way stay in the shadow sneak in crouch walk and I like very much the feel of the night but I can see NOTHING so I putting on the torch and now I see where is I am on the dock of the town and there was 2 zombie there and they make attack.

I was run try to stop the torch but I don't know how because everytime I try to put my axe nothing was happen so I am run with big light from torch is dance around and after I was kill. I blame torch because maybe the guy see me from many distance away and follow mw like the moth, I don't use no more the torch in the night I prefer ninja way is more safer

Can you really see lights and flares from that far away?

Im tempted to find a high-pop night server, light a few lamps or flares in or around a building and use it as sniper bait for anyone who might come looking. Maybe the airfield or something like that.