gibonez

Love the New Sway

wat

Weapons are meant to be easy to use and service AFTER training. If I gave you a SA80 rifle and told you to disassemble it completely and clean it without you having any prior knowledge, you would probably fuck the gun to bits and make it unusable. Loading bullets into mags might seem intuitive at first, but if don't do it in the correct manner then your gun will jam every couple of rounds...

Rags R OP

No sure but if you gave a bunch of bullets a magazine and a gun to a 5 year old kid and told him load the magazine, and fire the gun.

9/10 kids who have watched movies or played video games or heck even seen the news would know how to get it to work.

No sure but if you gave a bunch of bullets a magazine and a gun to a 5 year old kid and told him load the magazine, and fire the gun.

9/10 kids who have watched movies or played video games or heck even seen the news would know how to get it to work.

Ya, ok, maybe. But then I'm pretty sure something like this may happen...

=)

Ahaha I love that movie.

The Bbq references throughout the entire film were great.

Far more realistic compared to the robotic sway that we had before.

People had the stability of a bench rested weapon and this was after a 30 minute sprint.

Also the sway is relatively accurate although I can't compare to being out fo breath and shooting as I shoot at the range and have never been in such a situation.

Not that realistic in the rested state especially. Edited by DomonosDomonos

To put into perspective what how much sway and fatigue can affect someone who is not only in prime physical condition, but a trained shooter.

I guarantee you he's happy he has those supports.

Enjoy ;)

Edited by IronCross

Not that realistic in the rested state especially.

More realistic than the robotic lack of sway we had before thats for sure.

indeed.

as stated several times, within the limitation of a game controlled by mouse and keyborad one has to aim for "authenticity" rather then actual "realism". the mechanics should feel challenging and believable, while not being overly restrictive or limiting.

Personally i thing using the sway mechanics and stamina more and less of the exaggerated dispersion cone nonsense is a good thing that will result in higher potential for player skill rather then 'dumb luck'.

Edited by Sovetsky

Thats true but half the sway there is now seems perfect in the rested state. Also does painful leg affect sway?

Thats true but half the sway there is now seems perfect in the rested state. Also does painful leg affect sway?

I say increase the current sway but allow ways to compensate or stop it.

Such as weapon resting allow resting on any surface in the game so if you want to have a really steady shot you can.

But your first reply insinuated that "a real combat situation" introduces enough adrenaline into your system that you feel like you have had an adrenaline shot? 

If you hold your rifle correctly in a crouched/prone position, as you are taught to in the military, no amount of "natural" adrenaline will make you start swinging your gun around like a protein shaker. Just because you soiled yourself when a kid broke into your house for booze money doesn't mean everyone does/will. 

If this game is taking place in chernarus, where military service was compulsory up until 2004, then I would expect most characters to be able to hold a gun without sh!tting their pants. 

I never implied adrenaline made your gun sway more. I implied that this guy's test was slightly invalid since the test didn't introduce true adrenaline.

Aha. Ahahaha. Ahahahahaha. No.

Do you really want to reduce the sprint speed? Do you want it to take 4 hours to get from Berezino to Elektro? Fuck that shit. Certainly not until vehicles are in. And not even then. 

If you play a lot of the mod you will see our current SA sprint speed is about 25km or the same as a mountain bike going slow..I think its needs reducing by like 30% or something..it is a bit crazy fast..

If you play a lot of the mod you will see our current SA sprint speed is about 25km or the same as a mountain bike going slow..I think its needs reducing by like 30% or something..it is a bit crazy fast..

According to the devs, it's 30 km/h (the same speed as a cyclist in Tour de France)

• Like 1

According to the devs, it's 30 km/h (the same speed as a cyclist in Tour de France)

yeah its really quick i think the guy who said it's fine has been playing nothing but standalone for a while, i play a lot of shooters as well as DayZ mod, when i come back to standalone its really noticable how quick you sprint. Its like giant strides. they are going to need to reduce the top speed slightly as well as stamina system.

But, you don't need to be to understand a test in a controlled environment will not mimic a real live situation. In the controlled test, you know you're safe. When you're in live combat and people are shooting back, you don't if you'll live to see the sun rise or if you'll get your head shot clean through.

The test wasn't in any means to simulate a real combat situation, it was to point out that when when having run for a kilometer and the pulse gets higher and your excausted(breathing heavily) it can improve your shooting skills compared to being calm with normal pulse..

I atleast hit my targets alot better after running around for abit and so did the rest of the platoon. Some of them couldn't hit the side of a barn normally, but after 'stressing' them up abit, they became excellent at shooting.

Why are you mixing in epinedhrine, real world combat situations etc(wasnt my point at all, but in a stressed combat situation I bet you even perform better than this simple run test), my whole point was just, when running in the game it shouldn't give you more weapon sway and in real life you get even better at shooting after some excersise...

Your calling my test invalid, how, what is invalid by testing shooting skill when excausted versus calm and rested and then compare the results????? Your the one that brought in epinedhrine and adrinaline to the discussion, I just simply tell you that, after a long run you perform better at the shooting range than when calm and rested, nothing more nothing less...

The test wasn't in any means to simulate a real combat situation, it was to point out that when when having run for a kilometer and the pulse gets higher and your excausted(breathing heavily) it can improve your shooting skills compared to being calm with normal pulse..

I atleast hit my targets alot better after running around for abit and so did the rest of the platoon. Some of them couldn't hit the side of a barn normally, but after 'stressing' them up abit, they became excellent at shooting.

Why are you mixing in epinedhrine, real world combat situations etc(wasnt my point at all, but in a stressed combat situation I bet you even perform better than this simple run test), my whole point was just, when running in the game it shouldn't give you more weapon sway and in real life you get even better at shooting after some excersise...

Your calling my test invalid, how, what is invalid by testing shooting skill when excausted versus calm and rested and then compare the results????? Your the one that brought in epinedhrine and adrinaline to the discussion, I just simply tell you that, after a long run you perform better at the shooting range than when calm and rested, nothing more nothing less...

It just does not make sense that you shot worse under calm conditions

It just does not make sense that you shot worse under calm conditions

Not always ture...adrenaline usually helps with such things as well and that is not something your normally put out under calm situations but also is something that is hard to predict...

Someone running and then stopping to shoot with no adrenaline will shoot worse then a clam person standing

Whereas someone running with adrenaline and stopping to shoot will be more steady.

I must add as someone who grew up hunting animals such as deer and pheasents you often times do run through thick brush and then stop and take a shot & trust me hitting a deer or pheasent is a lot harder than a sluggish man

In my personal exp with rifles, bows & shotguns the weapon sway in dayz is way over exaggerated.

There is a thin line between realistic gameplay and MISREABLE gameplay and the current expierental build has crossed that line with the changes to movement and the weapon sway.

Edited by trev186

Not always ture...adrenaline usually helps with such things as well and that is not something your normally put out under calm situations but also is something that is hard to predict...

Someone running and then stopping to shoot with no adrenaline will shoot worse then a clam person standing

Whereas someone running with adrenaline and stopping to shoot will be more steady.

I must add as someone who grew up hunting animals such as deer and pheasents you often times do run through thick brush and then stop and take a shot & trust me hitting a deer or pheasent is a lot harder than a sluggish man

In my personal exp with rifles, bows & shotguns the weapon sway in dayz is way over exaggerated.

There is a thin line between realistic gameplay and MISREABLE gameplay and the current expierental build has crossed that line with the changes to movement and the weapon sway.

I grew up hunting a plethora of game animals as well. If you're running around on the ground hunting deer, you're doing it wrong. 

I digress, a calm situation is a shooter's ideal conditions.

I just can't see why people are complaining about this so much. The sway is = to or maybe even less than Arma 3's sway and people in Arma 3 seem to be fine with it.

I agree there's a fine line but you also want to stray from hyper-realism.

The new sway makes shooting harder period.

This is a good thing there is no way players should be able to easily make 300m+ shots with the ease that they were able to in the past.

Sway is just one of what I hope is many new additions that are added to make shooting in this game more challenging and increase the skill gap.

This isn't a twitch shooter and it should not play like one.

• Like 1

The new sway makes shooting harder period.

This is a good thing there is no way players should be able to easily make 300m+ shots with the ease that they were able to in the past.

Sway is just one of what I hope is many new additions that are added to make shooting in this game more challenging and increase the skill gap.

This isn't a twitch shooter and it should not play like one.

I agree with u from distance but the way they have implemented the sway is that even at short range ur as inaccurate as hell.

Even worse if u try to use a bow. Weapon sway at distances under 50 meters should be a minor issue not a major one.

I grew up hunting a plethora of game animals as well. If you're running around on the ground hunting deer, you're doing it wrong. 

I digress, a calm situation is a shooter's ideal conditions.

I just can't see why people are complaining about this so much. The sway is = to or maybe even less than Arma 3's sway and people in Arma 3 seem to be fine with it.

I agree there's a fine line but you also want to stray from hyper-realism.

Not running up close but moving quickly to get into position for a shot from range is important. Also even the sway caused by walking in dayz currently which u do plenty o while deer hunting causes unusual sway.

I am more advocating a Stamina system like in Stalker where say if ur stamina is high u have better weapon control. So if I run accross a field and stop to shoot sure it is hard but if I run 5 feet the stamina is still there I should not be out of breath.

Currently dayz is from one extreme to the other. You run 1 step u have horrible sway. you rest a little faster but u shouldn't have to rest at all to steady yourself after moving a short distance.

I agree with u from distance but the way they have implemented the sway is that even at short range ur as inaccurate as hell.

Even worse if u try to use a bow. Weapon sway at distances under 50 meters should be a minor issue not a major one.

It is the first version of what surely is a work in progress.

The sway even in this early stage works well.

I imagine in the future the shooting mechanics would get even more complex and better with additions of wind, weapon resting, bipod deployment and any other methods.

• Like 1

It is the first version of what surely is a work in progress.

The sway even in this early stage works well.

I imagine in the future the shooting mechanics would get even more complex and better with additions of wind, weapon resting, bipod deployment and any other methods.

I would like all of those changes. I also think some of the up close issues may be less sway and more navmesh related like the melee is. Swear I am seeing bullets go through zombies and not registering because on the navmesh they are somewhere else.

If they're going to have you hold your gun like a drunken chimp then I would really hope that eventually they're going to introduce a system whereby the player's character becomes more able to control their weapon for longer, and hold it steadier. I'd also like for them to implement actual shooting positions when you're prone or crouched to alleviate sway, because the stuff in those videos is ridiculous.

And firing more accurately when your adrenaline is up make sense, since heightened levels of adrenaline prompt your body and your mind to sharpen your focus on the task in front of you.

If they're going to have you hold your gun like a drunken chimp then I would really hope that eventually they're going to introduce a system whereby the player's character becomes more able to control their weapon for longer, and hold it steadier. I'd also like for them to implement actual shooting positions when you're prone or crouched to alleviate sway, because the stuff in those videos is ridiculous.

And firing more accurately when your adrenaline is up make sense, since heightened levels of adrenaline prompt your body and your mind to sharpen your focus on the task in front of you.

Pretty reasonable to expect weapon resting and bipod deployment to be a thing in the future.

Pretty reasonable to expect weapon resting and bipod deployment to be a thing in the future.

Yea, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about assuming actual shooting positions in the crouched/standing stances that incorporate bone support and other such things that greatly improve your accuracy without the need for a tree or a rock. I also mean that the longer your character has a weapon, the less and less it should sway, and the more predictable that sway should become. It doesn't make sense for someone who has had a gun - that they carry and aim daily - for months is just as adept at keeping it steady as someone who supposedly hasn't.