Sign in to follow this  
Thegoon84

Tent city and protection ideas. Please give your opinion

My idea’s for camps.

It would be great if Rocket took a second to read this.

With the amount of wire fencing tank traps etc it would be great if we could use this stuff effectively on tent locations.

My idea is that we use the equipment on our tool belt to do other things besides fix cars and cook meat.

For example, we could use the hatchet and the tool box to gather wood and make our own deer hut type stands which could be in 4 corner locations with wire fencing, sandbags and anti tank metal placed around a camp. All of which would have to be gathered by clan members. Also the sand bag wall could be made above head height.

You could also perhaps put in a “Large military tent” to find in supermarkets. Once we’ve found this (very rare item I’d say) that tent can spawn 2 NPC, those NPC can then be placed in the tent site in one location where we’d have to supply the guns, ammo, food, drink etc etc. If the NPC runs out of water or food they die. If they get shot with no bandages they die. Also the better you kit out your NPC the more effective he/she will be ofc.

These Guards could perhaps spawn with a Walkie-talkie and each has a unique code. This code will be unique to this camp site. If a player wishes to gain access they must first obtain a walkie-talkie from a shop per say and use group chat near the NPC, if the code matches the NPC can respond “Cleared to pass”, 3 failed attempts will result in the NPC opening fire. Also Perhaps you could search for big night lights which need generators to run etc.

This will be a great thing to have as it add’s some protection, the more Large tents that are found the more protection you can have.

Alternatively, if a player identifies this site, they and a few friends can work on taking out the NPC’s simultaneously and then raid the camp. Either that or the person who lays the tent can set them to defend or not defend.

The walkie-talkie thing maybe hard to implement I know, but is still worth looking at?

I’ve done a little drawing below of what I mean.

2qi1q9z.jpg

• Like 1

2 stationary NPCs are quite easy to kill. Thus making it even easier place to loot than normal tents. Because that kind of a complex is so distinct you can't miss it. More hidden = more safer.

2 stationary NPCs are quite easy to kill. Thus making it even easier place to loot than normal tents. Because that kind of a complex is so distinct you can't miss it. More hidden = more safer.

Then perhaps sandbags above head height, place NPC’s inside and any1 who pops their head round stands the chance of getting shot.

Also, the NPC aside being able to at least give better protect to camp sites would be a good idea, esspeically if it means you can use the world and your tool belt to better protect.

Might just as well introduce placeable mines to make a minefield around your tents... that should deter raiders.

I'm all for sandbox stuff, I was just thinking it'd be great if you could get a deer stand kit (of course it'd never spawn loot!)... but if you've got these elements (big tents, guard towers, floodlights etc) and you want to make a "tent city" then crack on, I'm all for it. But tbh I don't like the idea of NPC guards, I think that goes against one of the cooperation fundamental of the game. Who would 'own' these guards? If its one person then it's got the potential to get messy. If it was a clan thing then the whole clan mechanics need to be put in the game...nah tbh it's best kept simply as is.

But yes I'd like to see more placeable items :)

See this: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=23249

A bit lower there is the Idea to build small palisade-walls. I would not go that far to add some NPC-guards. But at least build something a bit saver then the usual tent+wirefence-castle would be cool.

Building Deerstands as lookout-towers is a good idea, too, I will add that to my idea (with a link to here), thanks.

Cheers guys.

Some1 on forums i use said:

Originally Posted by Fenris

Radios however I think are a brilliant idea and really need to be implemented, allow people to have passworded frequencies but also a "general broadcast" frequency that can be used as a long distance direct chat to anyone else with a radio. One thing I would like to see added along side this would be the ability to listen in to passworded channels from one of the many radio towers around the map, the area you can listen to would be based of the size and placement of the tower, this would make controlling Green Mountain (the biggest tower) incredibly lucrative.

Basically what I want from DayZ is an actual REASON to do something.

MY REPLY:

The more I think about your idea the more I like it…. Radio’s…. Hmmmm imagine if as you say climbing on a radio tower and hearing a conversation perhaps where some 1 is pin pointing tent and car locations… That would be awsum!!

A very good concept, and a discussion which should be more vibrant within the community. for one am a little bored with my groups make-shift horror that is a base though if you wanted to you could actually make this kind of place in-game right now with the right tools. Larger tents and the ability to craft towers would be a great help though, my group has build around a deer stand with a large over-watch, surrounded it with sandbags and shoved tents inside the parameter.. You could call it dangerous though it pulls in some real interesting fire-fights from people hunting with loot-maps.

Though the ability to build larger tents and even Deer-stands are the next step in base development, you hit that nail right on the head, and I hope its something rocket considers when he gets to the community improvement within the testing.

I'm just dreaming of my own little base now.

Richocet:.

If dogs get implemented they could act as guards.

there will never be any "npcs" besides zombies in dayz.

ever.

the npc's is an interesting idea, and fix to a problem of "bases."

however, i feel that some other, better solution to "bases" should take place first, before we start to "fix" or build off of what we have currently.

some completely new system of building/guarding or w/e needs to take place instead of "adding onto" what we currently do as players to work around the limitation (barbed wire/tents/bags/traps.)

+1 Radio's/Walkie Talkies' date=' +1 More Items.

No to NPC's.

[/quote']

+1.

Not sure why you would want npc's anyways. Three tries before they shoot? What would be the point?

I think its a great idiea to add more place abble things i think they realy need to add an crafting system

like if you chop off enough wood you can build house/hut/wall/Wooden guard towers etc....

and tenets are preety much hard to find i think the should reduce the rarity a little bit becuse im playing for 2 weeks and i have never found an tent a tent camp/city would give a great thing to the game more copperation can stoarge more things and stuff making better defences giving a reason to stay out of the big city ( atleast not hunting pepole there) constarcting an wall with a cealing would give a great defence against snipers and would make it harder to kill you or you're team m8's giving this mod an Close combat a better option then camping in the other side of the map waiting for players to pass and shot them...

wont make the camo suits/ghillie suits less usefull

i give a +1 for this idiea/concept and realy want to see that ingame :)

What's wrong with good old fashion guard duty? It needs a lot of organisation, you need players that can be on a server round the clock. Just like in the real world a base camp needs guards or at least a mobile team that keep travelling between outposts to keep an eye on them.

Tent cities, especially with vehicles are usually easy to find and gives rich pickings, single tents dotted around the map are lot harder to find.

Still my opinion is that if you are not willing to keep an eye on your loot while you are somewhere else gathering more loot than you deserve it to have stuff stolen from you. And don't come with that those people are bandits as well, its a dog eat dog world, thieves are certainly not more worse than players who kill if nessecary to get their hands on more loot.

NPC's to guard loot camps make the problem of loot hoarders worse, it defeats the idea of perma death because it makes even easier to have a huge arsenal of weapons, ammunitions and other supplies.

Radios? Hmm... would not work for me, we use our teamspeak-server. Even when I think we should use inGame-voicechat more... the ts3-quality is just too good to not-use it. And especially when you are guiding your people in and out a building, while sitting on the treeline with your binos.

Part of the appeal to this game is the RISK of loosing EVERYTHING at any moment. If you want to protect your camps, maybe you should physically guard them, recruit clan members in different time zones, and form a 'watch' rotation? All the wiretraps, towers, etc, they just make your camp easier to spot anyway.

Ultimately, I like the idea of survivors banding together to retake towns or form settlements. But those settlements will ALWAYS be a target for bandits, and a smart bandit group will wait till the wee hours of the night, when defenses are at a minimum, then strike. Don't put false hope in walls, towers, and wire fencing. Keep what is dear to you on your back, and keep moving.

Dam so many people saying we should organise watch rotations etc..... Seriously i have a 2 year old daughter, a full time job and a needy wife! Why should that disadvantage me!?

I want to be able to keep tents and stock them, get on with my life and hope they are sort of protected!

Lucky you guys who get to come home from work and play.... Not everyone can do that!!!

+1

For the general idea of being able to build and place more structures. Not concerned about NPCs, a skilled player can take on 50+ if they know what they are doing.

It's up to the owners to guard it.

When dogs are implemented, that would help too.

Tent cities completely defeat the purpose of the game, but Rocket already knows this.

No, it is a bad idea and anyone that has half of a brain knows this already.

Tent cities completely defeat the purpose of the game' date=' but Rocket already knows this.

No, it is a bad idea and anyone that has half of a brain knows this already.

[/quote']

Really... Rocket knows this? Your wrong!

From what i heard watching the Live stream with PC gamer i'm sure he mentioned something along the lines of "I'd like to see groups of people having a section of the map where they can build a small economy and use engineering skills"..... I might be wrong but i'm pretty dam sure thats what he said.... HE also mentioned about researching or looking at the world and working out how to find resources.

Try putting barbed wire next to a fence. When they try to climb in, they will glitch and get all their bones crushed. I tried this myself.

Also, the NPC's would be easy to kill while your offline or looting cities.