Sign in to follow this  
Irish.

Rocket makes statement about Navmesh/Zombies/Animals and Respawning

Well, a lot of servers have been around for a while. Server that I have my public hive mod character on has been around for at least a year.

That, and leaving your barricade/structure/fortress alone whilst you're offline is a risk you take. Nobody needs to have 100% impenetrable fortresses any more than they need paper-thin walls that can be punched through with a light breeze. Hence why there's a middle ground to be found in terms of locking doors, and having certain items be able to defeat those locks via rarity.

Plus, it's sort of on you to hide your stuff well. I've had untouched camps on full servers for weeks, and that's in the mod where tents stick out like sore thumbs.

I get what your saying and I guess I can stock up crap there for "in case you die" in hopes I can re-gear at it. If it is lost oh well 

Navmesh is like a blanket that covers the whole map. Certain parts of this blanket, things can roam freely, other parts are a no go zone. Walls, doors and whatever other entities they make the Navmesh consider non enter-able.

This is to work with Zeds, Animals, respawning(players I assume) and afaik(and has been mentioned) the player camera(no more looking through walls).

Of course, it seems the only worry is that server performance will drop even lower than it is currently. Let's hope not.

Well, a lot of servers have been around for a while. Server that I have my public hive mod character on has been around for at least a year.

That, and leaving your barricade/structure/fortress alone whilst you're offline is a risk you take. Nobody needs to have 100% impenetrable fortresses any more than they need paper-thin walls that can be punched through with a light breeze. Hence why there's a middle ground to be found in terms of locking doors, and having certain items be able to defeat those locks via rarity.

Plus, it's sort of on you to hide your stuff well. I've had untouched camps on full servers for weeks, and that's in the mod where tents stick out like sore thumbs.

I think I had the all-time best untouched camp in all of DayZ....in the middle of Berezino. At one point I had 2 bicycles, a motorbike and a tent filled to the rim with brim. Must have been close to two months before it was found. 

a program many companies use to store, share, backup and distribute an internal version of a project.

Basically a very fancy and advanced dropbox.

i personally prefer git, and recently fell in love with my new ubuntu OS, much better to develop than on windows... sry microsoft :D

Navmesh is like a blanket that covers the whole map. Certain parts of this blanket, things can roam freely, other parts are a no go zone. Walls, doors and whatever other entities they make the Navmesh consider non enter-able.

This is to work with Zeds, Animals, respawning(players I assume) and afaik(and has been mentioned) the player camera(no more looking through walls).

Of course, it seems the only worry is that server performance will drop even lower than it is currently. Let's hope not.

normally, the navmesh is just stored in a file or db in the server, the AI and player camera only need to ask the DB or file if the location is valid

at least that is how i would set it up, if it is based on storing the navmesh locally, people could hack all kinds of silly stuff, and it may decrease the performance on your own system, though it would not increase server load

since collision right now seems to be server based, it may result in a performance increase instead of a decrease, no idea how they handle collision detection and AI movement right now

Edited by Zombo

Navmesh is a technique to tell NPCs and other AI controlled entities where they can go and what paths to take to go somewhere

basically they are using some kind of ray-casting technique to determine where walkable paths are, and where none are (for example through walls), automating the process of creating navigation nodes en mass to reduce processing power needed to determine where npcs can go

No man it is not at all a raycasting technique. As the name implies it uses a mesh, hence the name NavMesh (Navigation Mesh). The software they use, scans in the whole map and all the static objectsin it and generates a very simplified mesh in the form of a plane for it. The zombies will only see this mesh (instead of the high details meshes we do). None of the static models will be rendered for the the zombie, but simple holes are cut in the NavMesh, so the zombie litteraly has no walking area there.

So for the zombies it will look like this: navmesh_wrong2.jpg

And for us it will look like this:DayZ.jpg

Of course in this example the NavMesh does not correspond to the render, I just took these examples from Google.

• Like 1

No man it is not at all a raycasting technique.

I know that navmesh does not use raycast, but afaik they used raycasting to some extend to create the navmesh data in the first place ;)

else you would have to create all the nodes per hand, which is not efficient

Edited by Zombo

is it been added today or not? i seen the rumour

Edited by AgentNe0

I know that navmesh does not use raycast, but afaik they used raycasting to some extend to create the navmesh data in the first place ;)

else you would have to create all the nodes per hand, which is not efficient

Ah yea meant for the NavMesh calculation? I thought you where talking about the zeds AI. Yes for the calculation it probably used raycasting to some extend, sorry for the mismatch.

I had Zeds following me upstairs and successfully navigating fences and buildings the last time I've played (experimental; I think it was last sunday). It didn't work 100% of the time but I was still very surprised to see them actually use the doors at all. They also added the new squatting type Zed who moves kind of like an ape and is harder to hit than the others.

I almost felt a little threatened when I saw six of them coming my way rather quickly right after I alreadly clobbered three of their buddies to death (turns out they were following a fresh-spawn). It's pretty far from being perfect but a step in the right direction - I'd say it's just a matter of months 'till they finally be able to up the numbers (to, like, 10 per town or something)...

*edit: added the "experimental" note for clarification*

Edited by DCpAradoX