theirongiant

So, tents and stuff

It's looking likely that tents might arrive in 0.48, looking forward to it and I'm interested to see how they're implemented. I really hope that they are a bit harder to find, not just to protect my stuff but to make hunting them a bit more of a challenge as well. For the most part, they were really easy to see and for such a big map there were so few decent areas to hide them in, anyone that played the mod could probably list the places where the trees grew thickly and were off the beaten track.

I played DayZero a lot towards the end, so I don't know if it happened in the mod as well but there was a point when you could put tents inside of world objects, it still needed a bit poking out so you could access it (also the guy line tended to stick out but it was quite difficult to see) but it made hunting out tents so much more fun and massively increased the places where you could find them. I found some quite ingeniously hidden tents but the cool thing was that when you did find one that was well hidden then it tended to have good loot in it. The player that came up with a great spot was rewarded in having a long lasting tent and the player who put a lot of effort into checking spots was rewarded with a good pay off. I thought it worked out really, really well, I know a lot of people complained about it and attempts were made to prevent it happening but I genuinely thought it improved the game a lot. 

What's everyone's thoughts on the hide-ability of tents, would you want tents that are easy or hard to find?

It's the tents that are not hidden people need to be weary of!

Those little bandit sniper tricks  :lol:

• Like 1

No glitchy shit! But I'd love to see them placeable where ever it should be possible in real-life, too. There are several good places around the map. These days I'd tent (huehuehue wordplay) to place them in those shaggy brown/black cabins where nothing spawns and nobody ever looks after anything ;)

• Like 1

Tents, meh.  The stashes that came out in the mod would be better, if redone to fit the standalone aesthetic.  They were slightly harder to see.

• Like 1

Tents, meh.  The stashes that came out in the mod would be better, if redone to fit the standalone aesthetic.  They were slightly harder to see.

Yeah, they had lockboxes in epoch as well that were a challenge to find. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Seeing as we have shovels it'd be nice to have the option to create buried caches. It'd have no impact on performance as well cos you'd only have to do one check to see if something was at the area when a player selected to dig. It'd also give players a reason to track each other rather than just shooting. You're less likely to KOS if there is a chance that you could follow a player to their cache and dig it up later.

Seeing as we have shovels it'd be nice to have the option to create buried caches. It'd have no impact on performance as well cos you'd only have to do one check to see if something was at the area when a player selected to dig. It'd also give players a reason to track each other rather than just shooting. You're less likely to KOS if there is a chance that you could follow a player to their cache and dig it up later.

Sounds about right! I guess tents won't be the only 'containers' that can be carried around.

Yeah, they had lockboxes in epoch as well that were a challenge to find. Seeing as we have shovels it'd be nice to have the option to create buried caches. It'd have no impact on performance as well cos you'd only have to do one check to see if something was at the area when a player selected to dig. It'd also give players a reason to track each other rather than just shooting. You're less likely to KOS if there is a chance that you could follow a player to their cache and dig it up later.

I'd wholeheartedly support that. In keeping with realism, there should be a myriad of ways to hide your "booty" though. Sacks in trees, buried caches, waterproof cases hidden in streams and lakes, boxes under rock-piles and the such. I'm not terribly inventive but I'm sure there would be a million ways to hide something well and really make it interesting. It would also really help push people out of the big cities and into the woods more, helping (in my opinion) revitalize the group of people jaded by the Call of Duty-esque direction the game is swinging in right now.

It's looking likely that tents might arrive in 0.48, looking forward to it and I'm interested to see how they're implemented.

I fully support "buried" tents, especially if they give us only one model like the original mod. I hid those babies in rocks & all sorts of other places that survived even through the script-kiddie swarm. I'm just wondering if your opening sentence is legit or not. I'm not one for keeping up on reddit & such but are tents actually going to be in 0.48? If so I'll be playing 0.48 quite a bit!

• Like 1

I fully support "buried" tents, especially if they give us only one model like the original mod. I hid those babies in rocks & all sorts of other places that survived even through the script-kiddie swarm. I'm just wondering if your opening sentence is legit or not. I'm not one for keeping up on reddit & such but are tents actually going to be in 0.48? If so I'll be playing 0.48 quite a bit!

I wouldn't take it as gospel, i'm guessing a little bit. They put the info for tents into 0.46, there's no tents in 0.47 on experimental so I'm just guesstimateing that we might see them in 0.48. I could very well be wrong.

No glitchy shit! But I'd love to see them placeable where ever it should be possible in real-life, too. There are several good places around the map. These days I'd tent (huehuehue wordplay) to place them in those shaggy brown/black cabins where nothing spawns and nobody ever looks after anything ;)

That's kind of my issue, it's 225sqkm but there are only several good places. There's lots of things you can do in real life to hide a tent that aren't doable in DayZ, With the way the ground renders at distance anything that is out of place sticks out like a sore thumb. In the mod you could spot tents from hundreds of metres away (didn't help that they glowed in the dark either). You needed at least two and and ideally three trees close together but because of that if you saw an area with thick tree coverage you'd check it for tents. I lost count of the number of times I'd be hunting for a place to put up a tent, find a good spot and discover that there were tents already there. I just think it makes for better gameplay if you actually have to hunt for them and use a bit of imagination rather than stumble across them cos there are limited good spots.

Kudos to the guy that found the dam bug, for a wee while it was a great place to find tents and occasionally cars :)