Sign in to follow this  
TheMachine

Sprinting cool down

It's weird that everyone is running around like an Olympic athlete who seemingly never gets tired or worn out. 

Not to mention the fact that DayZ's sprinting speed is too damn high. 

Jogging speed is fine, but sprint should be limited to 20 seconds max, then it should recharge only if you stay still or walk. 

• Like 4

It's weird that everyone is running around like an Olympic athlete who seemingly never gets tired or worn out. 

Jogging speed is fine, but sprint should be limited to 20 seconds max, then it should recharge only if you stay still or walk. 

20 seconds is pretty weak even I can run longer than that and I'm pretty tubby and even more unfit.

5 minutes depending on gear sounds reasonable, unless you happen to be a soldier in the game they regularly go on 20K runs while geared. But that's OP as shit. So 5 mins sounds fine to me, 2-3 if you have a backpack full of stuff on.

Just enough to travel a good distance or get away from zombies, but not enough to traverse the whole map in a couple of hours currently it feels to tiny.

on project reality or bf2, the sprint limit was so cool i think. really limited.

anyway while that maybe a bit too extreme for this game, im guessing that dayz sa sprint speed will be limited in future, and is probably just so fast atm cause were testing and no vehicles etc

edit, but yeah, what youre saying is right op, i think its been mentioned a lot already tho

Edited by qww
  • Like 1

There is couple of big threads with ideas about stamina/fatigue/encumbered/item weight etc etc

I hope they get applied to the game in near future.

Wait for some sort of vehicle.

THEN we'll talk

On 40 player server only like 4 will have a vehicle.

So sooner some stamina/fatigue system is in game the better.

I think a stamina system would solve this along with the issue that you can't run uphill. Though you should be able to jog for quite a while depending on the weight you are carrying. I think its reasonable that DayZ survivors while not professional athletes should be pretty fit. Also its more fun than having your character tire after minimal physical activity.

An idea I had a while back (also seen when you click the small link in my inventory) is stamina regenerating slower when low. This way short sprints will not take you out of action but longer ones might require a lengthy recover period.

I do not like this suggestion. It's bad enough vehicles aren't here yet, let alone breaking every 20 seconds just to catch some air.

+1 obviously. It makes no sense to wait for vehicles to be added. I probably won't want to use a vehicle in the end, so it makes sense for the devs to implement what they can as quickly as possible.

Also, people are complaining about zeds being to easy to beat, and the game being too easy in general... if we got tired from running and fighting and got weaker and more fatigued then those comments would disappear pretty sharpish!

I actually  made an account just to +1 this topic. I think the game really needs to have stamina implemented. It's ridiculous for how long you get to sprint right now and limiting it would give room to much more strategy in travel, hunting and combat (pvp and pvz). Not sure if this already happens, but a lot of sprinting / using up your stamina should also consume more energy and make you become hungry and especially thirsty a bit faster. It's cool that your character gets to breathe heavily now, but that makes little sense if it's just sound fx alone, it should be definitely related to your stamina level.

I am sure this will come with the stamina system.  As for the speed, I agree it was very fast, but that is probably because it moves the playerbase decently for testing, plus it is at the moment the only means of transportation.