WashedUpPoet

Food as Currency

Some of you may disagree and that's fine, I'm just playing with the idea but to introduce Food as a type of currency.

To do this of course there would have to be a major overhaul on the food loot drops and how much your character in game, actually needs food. Like I said I'm just playing with the idea here.

What i thought was that each individual food item has its own value, that value is based on how effective or nutritious/filling the particular food is.

So take a can of coke just say that replenished only a small portion of health , out of total of just say 5 we would give that a 2/5 that's its value. Now compare that to a can of beans which we will say gives twice as much energy so 4/5.

needles to say 2 cans of coke is worth 1 can of beans, so now we have a sort of value system to work with. Bullets and guns ect... can be pawned of in exchange for food.

for example an SKS may be worth 6/5 food units , so we will need at least 3 beans to make a fair trade, depending on its condition we can haggle it to maybe to two beans and a can of coke (5/5 units)  if its not in perfect condition.

Please tell me what you think "DO NOT" post about how it wont work right now in alpha as that is obvious.

If anyone has any suggestions to improve or even there own ideas please tell me I'd love to hear .

Poet out.

• Like 1

Basically currenct is just a common means of trade. A double coincidence of wants is hard to come by so thats why currency was accepted.. The only thing im thinking is that you have to eat the currency in this scenario....so it would be an interesting market as currency gets eaten etc....

I personally think bullets are a better way to go... you CAN expend them but you dont have to like with food.

I like the idea of a currency but most people will just trade for whatever they need at the moment, I would think..

Ima play with this idea today and maybe come home tonight with some interesting things to discuss about it.

• Like 1

You are trying to apply a value to a resource that doesn't need a value. Very simply, the biggest obstacle to trading and bartering isn't the lack of currency, but the inability to trust the person who you are trading with. I don't think the game will develop in such a manner where bartering for food is the key to survival. As long as we have axes and bullets, you can get a greater return by killing instead of trading. 

• Like 1

This is already being done!

By adding a system to valuate the items you have kinda negates player experience

Ok, you have food, I need food * shoots you in face and takes food *

Good trade.

Welcome to trading in Day Z.

• Like 4

Good trade.

That's a big problem with the game.

Why do we need this as a feature when we already have every item as currency? I'm completely opposed to a set currency. I'd rather have people trading any item for another.

On the mod I once traded some guy my nvg for a morphine shot and a hunting knife....those two were muchmore valuable to me at that time than the nvg, because I was starving and had broken legs. Once a guy traded his quad for NVG, now to me the quad was worth much more (being one of the most concealable vehicles) but he was tryingto get to NWAand couldn't see shit ouside his headlights, so was happy to go on foot with the NVG.  

Basically we don't need some "currency", because everything is currency. Its value changes all the time depending on what the other person, or you, need. Branding one specific item a currency takes away that whole dynamic of trading. I know its hard to trade when no one trusts eachother, but that's the pub hive....always has been. On a private server you get to know who you can and cannot trade with. With the introduction of walkie talkies and channels, keeping a deent trade relationship with another clan should be even easier. No more posting sentrys because we had to organise it on global. Just pick a channel and both tune in when your both online to see if anyone needs anything :)

Edited by Karmaterror

I think the only thing that really needs to be added is a method of trading things that is better than dropping items on the floor. In game currency should just be the items you have, not 1 specific type

I think the only thing that really needs to be added is a method of trading things that is better than dropping items on the floor. In game currency should just be the items you have, not 1 specific type

Rocket talked about developing a trading UI 

• Like 1

The system I'm talking about would act more of a guide line, of course if you have a pack full of food you wont have any need to collect anymore, unlike money which one would horde to their hearts content, Food would act as a general bases of trade. Taking into account you have limited space in your pack.

In real life that's how I would imagine it would go down, there is nothing stopping you from trading other items also. In theory the same system would could work with bullets but the problem with bullets is that not everyone needs every caliber of bullet. so it wouldn't make a great currency, still a good trade to some cases.

Right now DayZ is a giant PVP deathmatch , because in reality there is not much else to do, surviving isn't difficult, food is far from scarce once you gear up there is little or nothing to do.

I actually feel in the future if the Devs made food/water much more scarce and had a bigger role to play on health this type of system would take over by its self, Like i said before I was only suggesting it as a guide-line for people to follow while trading.

-snip-

I like it but not going to happen a very tiny amount of people would actually abide by it everyone would just kill you for food.

If anyone is actually willing to trade with you and not just shoot/attack you the second they see you "prices" can just be negotiated like I'll give you 3 cans of beans for 20 Mosin rounds, deal. Nice clean exchange.

However often that happens...probably so rare it should be considered a miracle.

When base building is added maybe we can have shop signs and get buddies to be body guards for them, they'd probably be attacked A LOT but once everyone got used to the idea of people playing the role of merchants they might see a shop sign and thing "Hey, these guys could be useful to me whenever I need stuff" instead of just "LOL people, kill them all even though they have more stuff than I can carry!"

• Like 2

This is already being done!

By adding a system to valuate the items you have kinda negates player experience

I suppose what I'm trying to say is there needs to be more focus on Food/water in Dayz and its importance to surviving. If this was the case food would become common form of currency.

An example would be that say I meet you and wanted to buy your M4 , now your already geared up, so you don't need any of my items and the ammo I have doesn't suit your gun.

Food would be the only thing worth trading for you cause you can use it to trade off again or eat later yourself if you need it.

Edited by WashedUpPoet

I like it but not going to happen a very tiny amount of people would actually abide by it everyone would just kill you for food.

If anyone is actually willing to trade with you and not just shoot/attack you the second they see you "prices" can just be negotiated like I'll give you 3 cans of beans for 20 Mosin rounds, deal. Nice clean exchange.

However often that happens...probably so rare it should be considered a miracle.

When base building is added maybe we can have shop signs and get buddies to be body guards for them, they'd probably be attacked A LOT but once everyone got used to the idea of people playing the role of merchants they might see a shop sign and thing "Hey, these guys could be useful to me whenever I need stuff" instead of just "LOL people, kill them all even though they have more stuff than I can carry!"

That's what I'm talking about dude, of course it wont work right now in Alpha for a number of reasons but in the future once the build is finished its possible.

That's what I'm talking about dude, of course it wont work right now in Alpha for a number of reasons but in the future once the build is finished its possible.

It might actually be worse since food will be rarer, people will be desperate.

Which is more legit than killing for lols but it will be an even rarer occurrence that someone legitimately trades with you.

However since everything will be rarer, taking on a shop with two guards with M4's will be very very stupid early on before you have similar gear. Fresh spawns aren't touching that with a Mosin and barely any rounds, if they even find that much in the vicinity.

That's a big problem with the game.

Agreed, every trade I've ever set up in game has ended like that how ever

I can't argue that KOS does cause problems, but this is something that will be present throughout DayZ for good, its a part of the game that cant be removed without taking away key features of the game. 

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't still encourage and work towards actually bartering/trading between characters, this Topic was to talk about peoples ideas or suggestions, not about how KOS and its destructive nature.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't still encourage and work towards actually bartering/trading between characters, this Topic was to talk about peoples ideas or suggestions, not about how KOS and its destructive nature.

Sadly that is the only real reason something like this would be hard to implement. I would love it personally but most people just play this game to PvP instead of actually enjoying what it has to offer they simply play it like any other shooter.

The only way a currency and shop system would definitely work is if it was some kind of armoured NPC store...but I don't think anybody would really like that idea, survival shortcuts are looked down on.

And if something like that was added it's already a pay to win game but could devolve in to genuinely being one with micro-transaction bullshit.

You should suggest this again when the game is nearly complete and people are going to really need it currently all you're going to be met with is a "lol il jus kil ppl n tak ther stuf cos am smart" mentality, except for a few like me who'd enjoy it.

I can't wait for the day when having a canteen, 4 tins of food and 20 M4 mags isn't enough to survive.

• Like 1

I can't wait for the day when having a canteen, 4 tins of food and 20 M4 mags isn't enough to survive.

sounds horrible, I cant wait.

• Like 1

Some of you may disagree and that's fine, I'm just playing with the idea but to introduce Food as a type of currency.

To do this of course there would have to be a major overhaul on the food loot drops and how much your character in game, actually needs food. Like I said I'm just playing with the idea here.

What i thought was that each individual food item has its own value, that value is based on how effective or nutritious/filling the particular food is.

So take a can of coke just say that replenished only a small portion of health , out of total of just say 5 we would give that a 2/5 that's its value. Now compare that to a can of beans which we will say gives twice as much energy so 4/5.

needles to say 2 cans of coke is worth 1 can of beans, so now we have a sort of value system to work with. Bullets and guns ect... can be pawned of in exchange for food.

for example an SKS may be worth 6/5 food units , so we will need at least 3 beans to make a fair trade, depending on its condition we can haggle it to maybe to two beans and a can of coke (5/5 units)  if its not in perfect condition.

Please tell me what you think "DO NOT" post about how it wont work right now in alpha as that is obvious.

If anyone has any suggestions to improve or even there own ideas please tell me I'd love to hear .

Poet out.

Food takes up too much space i would rather trade gear I know others will value...also food is WAY too common vs gear...

I trade a lot most people are only going to trade for rare/hard to find items. Probably 10% of the gear in dayz is valuable enough to players to trade for it.

Food is not one of them and you will just find that tons of people will have all the food in the world but only 3-4 people on the server will have an AKM for trade...

The guy trading the AKM is going to want something like an MP5-K not 4 cans of beans....it is just as hard to find someone with the item you want who is willing to part with it as the item itself sometimes. 

Food takes up too much space i would rather trade gear I know others will value...also food is WAY too common vs gear...

Well it won't always be, in this stage of development it might be but in the full release 10 cans of beans are going to be like as valuable as an M4. Food won't always be common the reason we can hunt, and pick berries/apples is because they're going to tone down canned goods considerably. So this idea does work in future but only if people accept it.

Well it won't always be, in this stage of development it might be but in the full release 10 cans of beans are going to be like as valuable as an M4. Food won't always be common the reason we can hunt, and pick berries/apples is because they're going to tone down canned goods considerably. So this idea does work in future but only if people accept it.

If that happens with how rare an M4 is we will all continually starve to death....only 3 heli spawns per server and no guarantees they spawn an M4...also they evidently did something with police cars so helis share that spawn with them and now sometimes helis do not even spawn!

aside from having fun with your analogy (which I get the argument)

Even then it is actually quite easy to just live off berries and apples...I have no plans of packing around equipment to cook meat i will just scavenge the wildlife...less they nerf that too....

I do not think we need a currency I think we just need a better way outside of the forums to post about potential trades....like say a board we can post on in game to arrange meetings with people for trades...i dunno 

Even then it is actually quite easy to just live off berries and apples...I have no plans of packing around equipment to cook meat i will just scavenge the wildlife...less they nerf that too....

I do not think we need a currency I think we just need a better way outside of the forums to post about potential trades....like say a board we can post on in game to arrange meetings with people for trades...i dunno 

Well, not really I must have searched like 20 apple trees and got one it took like 8 minutes to do all that, same with berries plus you get poisonous ones. Berry picking and stuff is just supplemental food if you're on the brink of death it's sometimes your only option.

It'd be very time consuming and up to chance to survive off just that, so it would always be better to just scavenge and trade for food if you couldn't find any.

But yeah I don't think it would work out for food to be the actual currency any trade rates should be player generated like a box of bullets for 3 tins of food, or some places might go ridiculous asking for 4 boxes for 1 tin.

When barricades are added maybe people could put a sign outside a building saying "SHOP" and collect tons of stuff to sell, which can be traded through an open window or something for some sort of security.

Sort of like how at a bank there's the big glass screen with a slot in it for you to pass things to each other. They could add buildings to facilitate that, still attackable but if you smash your way in the merchant guy is probably waiting with a gun anyway so it would be wise to play along.

With persistent loot and safes, it could definitely work. It just depends on how many people want to act as shop keepers.

• Like 2

The problem with using food as a currency ( or even as "base value" for a currency ) is that this value is highly subjective.

A fresh spawn running through 2 completely looted villages with his hunger status already on orange would trade his/her Mom for some food. Problem is: He/Her doesnt have anything to trade for that value. As your character grows older, you find some more food on your own, so your focus on trading goes to higher-value items like guns or ammo. Maybe you find a gun by yourself, fine, so you encounter somebody in desperate need for a gun. He especially gathered much food to pay for it. Since you are low on supplies, you do the trade. Now you have no gun but the other dude has, but he is starving now. Guess what the dude with the gun who just gave you his entire food will do as you leave the scene :)

Food and drinks are the most-important supplies to survive, you can't use it as a trading-currency since giving it away for something else makes you much more vulnerable to dýing. Also, there will never be an equilibrium of supply and demand. The ones in highest need for food wont have anything to supply to the trader in most cases.

Also, we will server-hop for food then. Once vehicles are fully implemented, i will start to trade high capacity vests filled with canned peaches for a chrome-covered Rolls Royce.

Me will be bling bling. Fo real, homieZ.

Good trade.

See youre trading bullets like i was saying. Traded one bullet for all his food lol.

• Like 1