UltimateGentleman

Remove magical weapon slots

Kinda spoils the realism to have a gun and a melee weapon just stick to your back doesn't it?

I think we shouldn't be able to do that in the full release, we should need a backpack first to be able to slot weapons between the straps.

Before all the "URGH BUT I WANT MA WEPINS" negativity how many times have you been killed or shot at by a bambi that ran straight to the nearest gun zone, found one and ammo and went on a rampage?

I see lots of people complaining about that anyway.

Perhaps if you find some rope you could craft some kind of a sling for one weapon, so you can have an axe on your back and just hold a gun or vice versa. And maybe some kinds of clothing could hold weapons, lord knows what but I'm sure the devs could think of something.

I think that hint of difficulty would be cool along with food being more scarce as development goes on we could see starving be an actual issue no more finding a Mosin and blowing away a geared guy to take his stuff, unless you happen to be skillful.

• Like 11

Kinda spoils the realism to have a gun and a melee weapon just stick to your back doesn't it?

I think we shouldn't be able to do that in the full release, we should need a backpack first to be able to slot weapons between the straps.

Before all the "URGH BUT I WANT MA WEPINS" negativity how many times have you been killed or shot at by a bambi that ran straight to the nearest gun zone, found one and ammo and went on a rampage?

Perhaps if you find some rope you could craft some kind of a sling for one weapon, so you can have an axe on your back and just hold a gun or vice versa. And maybe some kinds of clothing could hold weapons, lord knows what but I'm sure the devs could think of something.

I think that hint of difficulty would be cool along with food being more scarce as development goes on we could see starving be an actual issue no more finding a Mosin and blowing away a geared guy to take his stuff, unless you happen to be skillful.

I wouldn't mind this at all, actually. I mean, come on, have people seen how your character carries a machete on his/her back. Looks rather painful.

• Like 3

magic, its impossible to fit an axe in the ties&co of a backpack or in a belt...

• Like 2

They could improve it by making a belt/backpack/rope necessary. Beans

Edited by Nesuma

A handgun could be tucked into the waistband of your trousers but being able to carry anything else while it's not in your hands is slightly inauthentic. Requiring a sling or similar would be a nice touch IMO.

This is one ocassion that I can agree totally with what you state. I would even go so far as to have improvised slings like you suggest for large melee weapons/ rifles and actual rifle slings for the rifles that help with stablility on standing and kneeling shots.

magic, its impossible to fit an axe in the ties&co of a backpack or in a belt...

Erm no its not, I carried my shotgun or rifle, trenching tool and hachet on my backpack, why should it be any different in the game?

Edited by Legio23
  • Like 1

its good as it is

But DayZ is a hardcore realistic game isn't it?

It's easy and simplified as it is.

Everyone laughs when people try to suggest the game be made more realistic in a way that makes it easier but then they're fine with these magical slots, hypocrites...

(that isn't aimed at you newguyzombie)

I for one love the adventure of gearing up and if that process took longer, love it.

A handgun could be tucked into the waistband of your trousers but being able to carry anything else while it's not in your hands is slightly inauthentic. Requiring a sling or similar would be a nice touch IMO.

Yeah I was going to add that small weapons should fit round a belt, although it's kinda dangerous to run with a machete in your belt :P

This would make it easier for people who already have guns but toning down bambi rampages would make the game have a more realistic mindset, people who used to do that would know they have almost no chance and avoid cities, their life would be more at risk and thus precious which is the main issue here too many "YOLO I'll respawn in 30 seconds anyway" ridiculousness.

• Like 2

This game is about survival and not about 100% realism, for example take a look at DayZ mod where a person can carry engine block or helicopter rotor assembly in their backpack.

Also the game is in alpha stage so many things like animations and sounds have place holders and are subject to change.

The game is just fine with melee & primary backslots as it is, if anything is disturbing it's the fact foldable AKM doesn't fit inside a backpack, but thats just a balancing thing,

so people wont be carrying around both Assault rifle and a sniper rifle and change between them easily.

Got a sheath for my parang that fits nicely on my belt ;)

Got a sheath for my parang that fits nicely on my belt ;)

apologies for the double there :facepalm:

Edited by Legio23

But DayZ is a hardcore realistic game isn't it?

It's easy and simplified as it is.

Everyone laughs when people try to suggest the game be made more realistic in a way that makes it easier but then they're fine with these magical slots, hypocrites...

(that isn't aimed at you newguyzombie)

I for one love the adventure of gearing up and if that process took longer, love it.

Yeah I was going to add that small weapons should fit round a belt, although it's kinda dangerous to run with a machete in your belt :P

This would make it easier for people who already have guns but toning down bambi rampages would make the game have a more realistic mindset, people who used to do that would know they have almost no chance and avoid cities, their life would be more at risk and thus precious which is the main issue here too many "YOLO I'll respawn in 30 seconds anyway" ridiculousness.

you know that you could just simly have a rifle with a belt and thats it?

and for realism... you can make a game as realistic as possible but if its to "hardcore" it ll be lack of fun playing it. some things have to be simple as it is with the wepons. there is no sense in a zombie game, to first search for a rare rope or a "holster" to defense yourself

This game is about survival and not about 100% realism, for example take a look at DayZ mod where a person can carry engine block or helicopter rotor assembly in their backpack.

Also the game is in alpha stage so many things like animations and sounds have place holders and are subject to change.

The game is just fine with melee & primary backslots as it is, if anything is disturbing it's the fact foldable AKM doesn't fit inside a backpack, but thats just a balancing thing,

so people wont be carrying around both Assault rifle and a sniper rifle and change between them easily.

It's still broken and dumb looking they can't have 100% realism but this is something that's blatantly magical, if you want a gun early on you should have to carry it and make an effort to keep it safe.

However this would be better when performing another action didn't mean just dropping your rifle and having to pick it up again or having it disappear when it hits the ground.

Not gonna be hard to put a rifle under your arm and eat a can of beans for instance, they should add an animation for that first.

Which is why I said in the full release, not right now we need easy access to guns and such so we can faster make sure they work properly.

you know that you could just simly have a rifle with a belt and thats it?

and for realism... you can make a game as realistic as possible but if its to "hardcore" it ll be lack of fun playing it. some things have to be simple as it is with the wepons. there is no sense in a zombie game, to first search for a rare rope or a "holster" to defense yourself

But it's not supposed to be a fun GTA style shoot-em-up with zombies it's supposed to be a difficult survival game, anything that makes that a reality is an improvement.

Currently the only difficulty in the game at all really is other players, the game should be difficult to survive in even if you're the only person playing.

Belts work out for some things too like an axe since the head could hook over.

However if you have something that big through your belt then it should slow your movement speed so it's still not ideal.

the way the hacksaw sits on your back looks very painful...

often it cuts through your avatar's shoulder

if the suggestion was implemented, it would have to be balanced by adding more rifles with ready-attached straps for carrying on your back and in your arms. These are common in military rifles from the 20th century, and make doing tasks while holding a rifle quite easy.

Edited by 11tw

Military weapons usually are issued with slings, and slings don't fall off easily. In a game where the devs are are coding incorrect ammo to guns to appease the casuals, I doubt this will be taken into consideration.

if the suggestion was implemented, it would have to be balanced by adding more rifles with ready-attached straps for carrying on your back and in your arms. These are common in military rifles from the 20th century, and make doing tasks while holding a rifle quite easy.

Quite true, almost all military and service weapons come with slings though most civ pop weapons and 'sniper' rifles don't, still who hasn't removed the crappy service sling to upgrade to something a little more acceptable like a single or even triple point, I know I did. Lumping a weapon around without a sling is a real pain in the ass especially on foot, over miles and miles of terrain and obstacles I just think that the OP would like to see the same sort of thing happening in game and I have to agree with him, there is nothing wrong with getting the realism up.

Very good addition.

I think things like the Sporter should definitely come with that so before you have a backpack if you come across both an SKS and a Sporter, you have a tough choice to make.

Higher end military weapons should have a 50/50 chance of spawning with a strap, perhaps 30/70 and the strap should be an item you can find usable on many guns so if you find an AKM with one and don't want that, rip it off and go find an M4 or SKS, whatever.

But the definite best guns you should probably be prepared for they should require a unique strap or holder so that bambi's can't just run directly to airfields and get the best weapons fully usable.

I think backpack + rope should create an ideal strap for a weapon where just slotting it through backpack straps impedes movements, and then some backpacks like the hunting one should already have a strap type thing on them which works fine.

It's something that you can be lucky and find instantly but if you die 2 hours in to the server most of the backpacks and whatnot are going to be taken, it's going to be difficult to survive which is what we need.

Another good thing about this would be that it forces people to use bows. If you can't find or keep a gun you're going to need a bow to take down an animal and get food as well as get a makeshift backpack, hunting being a necessity would be awesome.

Military weapons usually are issued with slings, and slings don't fall off easily. In a game where the devs are are coding incorrect ammo to guns to appease the casuals, I doubt this will be taken into consideration.

Oh, you're one of those guys that doesn't understand why they did that, aren't you?

I could totally holster my SKS in my pants and just walk with one straight leg. That'd work for me.

Realism in mind, yes. I would love to see this implemented. Bold choice if they do, however.

Edited by ZoxinTV

I see lots of people complaining about that.

This idea needs attention, i love it.

Edited by NinjaTurkey
  • Like 1

Erm no its not, I carried my shotgun or rifle, trenching tool and hachet on my backpack, why should it be any different in the game?

pyjmlh.jpg

sigh, next time i will make a [iRONIC] tag

Edited by Edoissimo

The issue is that right now there is nothing holding your melee weapon and rifle to your back...

Instead we should have passive carrying, so for example woodsmen walk around with their axes balanced on their shoulders in one arm. A similar thing can be done with a rifle. This would make a lot more sense, and look cooler. Then, as an upgrade for people who want to have both arms free, using a rope with your backpack or finding a sling allows you to strap weapons to your back.

pyjmlh.jpg

sigh, next time i will make a [iRONIC] tag

Really can't be bothered in going down this line with you as you obviously have no notion of what your talking about and post childish little statements like that.

oh sorry big man, next time i will do a serius and complicate post so your mind can understand that im against OP's idea..

Edited by Edoissimo