cat (DayZ)

Winchester too common - Other low end gear too rare.

Often while looting towns in the sout I find myself having to choose between:

1x AKM + 30 rounds

1x M1014 + 8 rounds

1x Winchester + 60 rounds + 100 million* rounds in the house next to it

The same goes for handguns:

Super common makarov ammo, while the 1911 is super rare.

While the makarov is a realistically very common handgun in eastern europe (chernarus was modeled after part of the czech countryside), the Winchester is annoyingly ubiquitous ingame. I hate it because of that, and because it should not be that common because it is a 140 year old rifle from the old west.

Therefore I would like to suggest:

- Increase availability of other small handguns than the makarov (CZ61 is ingame?), because right now choosing between 1x 1911 + 1 clip or Makarov + 12 clips is not really a choice. I am not demanding more loot, just mixing it up on the low end scale.

- Decrease the winchester availability and increase the availability of other smaller weapons like the MP9 or CZ61.

*number slightly (0.00000001%) exagerrated for dramatic effect.

If you knew where to look, the other mags are fairly easy to find.

Typically most players hang around the south coast towns and sometimes venture north, with the odd trip to the airfield.

Once you have a knife and matches and know the better more isolated loot spots, there is no longer a need to venture anywhere but the woods and the odd open field to kill a cow

Hey terox, nice to meet you again.

What are matches for? And where would one find them and knives, I only found these on dead players.

Raid any supermarket in the north and you'll have survival apparel pouring out your ears.

Running from Berezino supermarket one to supermarket two and you should have the games worth of basic supplies.

You'll also have all the M1911 and revolver ammo a man can ask for.

The thing I agree with is how common Winchester ammo is at the moment. It really is a must for the game though - something the noobs can get behind. The noise needs to be made much louder however, as at the moment it has the same volume (to a players ears) as a silenced weapon. Similarly, it needs to have a much wider zombie pull radius.

I also would prefer if it was a Russian variant shotgun, or perhaps a much simpler double barrel could be introduced to replace the Winchester. It would certainly make the Remington's and co a bit more valuable. Right now I feel like the Winchester is doing the job of two different guns.

I also would prefer if it was a Russian variant shotgun' date=' or perhaps a much simpler double barrel could be introduced to replace the Winchester. It would certainly make the Remington's and co a bit more valuable. Right now I feel like the Winchester is doing the job of two different guns.

[/quote']

Agreed with most of your post but especially this part.

It seems highly unlikely to me that an area modeled after part of the Czech would have 1866 Winchesters in every single countryside barn. It would be much more probable, and balancing, if it was swapped to an over-under or double-barreled shotgun. In this way, especially with the double-barreled shotgun, it wouldn't have the massive player killing potential it currently does because you would have to reload after every two shots. I think that would be enough of a crutch to balance how common it is to find.

tl;dr

My main issues are:

- Western gun in Eastern bloc

- The fact that it is literally everywhere

- Kills a player in one hit

- The ammo comes in 15x stacks and is way too common.

- Extremely silent compared to, for example, the Lee Enfield. To a player it just sounds like a puff in the distance.

yeah the losechester needs a big fat nerf in its ass

IMO the better a weapon is the rarer it needs to be, it should go something like:

low tier pistols/enfield (cause it's dangerous to use, should have the most common ammunition)

higher tier pistols/shotguns/winchester (lowered ammo spawns on the whinchester)

battle/assault rifles

hunting rifles

sniper rifles

There needs to be some sense of scale, the longer you survive the better your gear gets, rather than looting a cz550 5 minutes after I spawn and keeping it forever. Early on players need to be using something shitty and loud rather than a winchester with infinite ammo.

Damn, I must be spawning in the wrong spots. I haven't been anywhere close to a spot which wasn't a small town since I started. 90% of the time, doors are closed, and the one building with an open door has empty cans inside.

NICE.

TKJ

Damn' date=' I must be spawning in the wrong spots. I haven't been anywhere close to a spot which wasn't a small town since I started. 90% of the time, doors are closed, and the one building with an open door has empty cans inside.

[/quote']

Look for the white two-leveled barns with the hay inside. I would guess 30% of the time there's a winchester inside.

Oh those neverending discussions about weapons.

Like it or not but there are no really huge differences. It all comes down to how you use em and personal preference.

I recently dropped my M4A3 (which some seem to consider to be uberleet) just to get my trusty old AKM again.

Complaining about western weaponry in these parts only means that you obviously haven't played any of the ArmA2 campaign and that you somehow manage to overlook all those dead us-soldiers and hmmwv-wreckages around.

Here is a list of popular hunting shotguns common to post-soviet countries:

МЦ20-01 (MC20-01) 4-shot clip, 20 caliber rifle:

http://izhevsk.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/004151/4151659.jpg

МЦ-5 (MC-5) 2 vertical barrel 20 caliber rifle:

http://www.miroh.ru/upload/images/img_2099.jpg

ИЖ-81 (IZH-81), 2-shot clip 12 caliber pump-action shotgun:

http://popgun.ru/files/g/112/orig/2494212.jpg

МР-131К (MR-131K) 7-shot tube magazine 12 caliber pump-action shotgun:

http://i2.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/004965/4965805.jpg

ТОЗ-94 (TOZ-94) 4-shot clip 12 caliber pump-action shotgun:

http://popgun.ru/files/g/112/orig/4211804.jpg

ТОЗ-34К (TOZ-34K) 2 vertical barrel 12 caliber rifle:

http://www.waldu.ee/pood/Toz34K.jpg

Complaining about western weaponry in these parts only means that you obviously haven't played any of the ArmA2 campaign and that you somehow manage to overlook all those dead us-soldiers and hmmwv-wreckages around.

This. 1000x this. I'd love to see some USMC zombies roaming around too.

And "better" (I wish those quotes could be bigger.) weapons should not be more rare simply for that fact. And who decides what makes a weapon better? There are too many factors' date=' like optics, flashlights, weapon damage, magazine size, ammunition availability, etc. the list goes on and on.

Take the AKM vs an M4 CCO, which is better? The M4 has "better" sights but shoots the weaker 5.56mm; with the AKM, "one hit from this and its all over" and the sights are more than antiquate if you know how to use them. In the end it comes down to skill, you could have an M107 TWS or a SAW and get wasted by someone fresh off the boat with a Makarov.

Weapon availability should be based on what would be available at that location in realistic quantities.

You know, like it is already.

If some low end gear might be implemented, then i suggest Nagant revolver, which are almost last half century was used as sidearm of watchmen of military and secret factories in Eastern block.

And yes, some double barrel and even single barrel shotguns (mostly findable outside big cities) would be good.

The only issue with the double barrel shotgun would be having two shotgun shells take up a whole slot and not being able to use other 12 ga rounds in it, like the 1014 or Winchester.

I laughed when I saw this post because I just got one of these and thought I was super lucky.

I agree, it should be replaced with something more appropriate and of course made somewhat less common.

+1 to more pistol ammo, at least give me a way to fight back against the increase in zombie population.

Think the winchester definitely needs a tweak on the ammo front (i.e. Reduced availability) This has been discussed before however.

What it needs is to have the 15 round mags scrapped and it needs to use the 8 round 1014 ones.

The only issue with the double barrel shotgun would be having two shotgun shells take up a whole slot and not being able to use other 12 ga rounds in it' date=' like the 1014 or Winchester.

[/quote']

I think it should be possible for the shotgun to be 'loaded' with an 8 stack of 1014 rounds, but it plays a standard reload animation every two shots.

What I'd love to see is some way of using a proper round + magazine ammo system, rather than the magazine based system that the game currently uses. It'd be nice to know how many rounds I've got sitting in my makarov magazines after fighting off a horde, and it'd also mean you could find half empty magazines or handfuls of rounds, like you would in real life.

I really like the winchester model, but it's OP, especially since the zombie presence got buffed. I pass on AKs and ARs, because of the imba sound radius of the winchester.

need to add 22. lr pistol and rifle and make those the most common, that ammo can probably be found just about anywhere there are gun owners at this point and its so cheap that you could justify large stock piles of it in an average gun owners home.

I really like the winchester model' date=' but it's OP, especially since the zombie presence got buffed. I pass on AKs and ARs, because of the imba sound radius of the winchester.

[/quote']

The Winchester actually has the same sound radius as an AK or AR.

The Winchester actually has the same sound radius as an AK or AR.

I'll admit I haven't heard the AK or AR fired, but the personal sound for the 1866 is very quiet.

It wasn't until I heard one of my friends firing it that I found out that the sounds don't match up at all: the world sound for the gun is a lot louder than what I hear when I fire it myself!

Whenever I fire the AKM zombies come pouring out of the woodworks. Whenever I fire the Winchester I typically pull only a handful of zombies.

I hate firing the AKM just as much as I hate firing the CZ in populated areas. It would be like firing the Lee in my mind considering how often I'm close to large groups. Winchester or revolver are the way to go.