Sign in to follow this  
theirongiant

Enfield & Winchester

Are these going to be coming to the SA at some point? while they weren't high end weapons I did love the boomstick qualities of the lee and the utility of the winchester. 

• Like 1

Are these going to be coming to the SA at some point? while they weren't high end weapons I did love the boomstick qualities of the lee and the utility of the winchester. 

The Mosin was probably included as the "replacement" for the Lee-Enfield, although I say probably as they're likely going to have many more weapons than the mod did by the final release, and many of them will be similar in performance.

It's possible we'll get a Winchester 1895 or some other gun, though, because one of the artists, Chris Torchia, has expressed interest in having at least one lever action rifle in the game at some point.

I doubt it'll be the 1866, though, as .45-70 is really only used in lever-action rifles, so it's pretty pointless to have in DayZ. The Lee-Enfield is also unlikely, because it's a .303 British firearm, and that was also used almost exclusively in British pre-war era weapons, most of which you would never find in an environment like Chernarus. There are better firearms to choose from.

Sporterized Lee-Enfields are always a possibility, because they were civilian-designed and used .308/7.62x51mm NATO and were also much more popular. I can still see plenty of rifles before them, but it could easily be added as a nod to the mod, no pun intended.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Would love to see both! For some reason, I always wanted to have the SMLE be able to mount a suppressor. The muzzle of the No. 4 always seemed to beg for a suppressor in my mind, even though I don't think I've ever seen a SMLE suppressed (aside from the DeLisle).

I think once they throw in .410 that we'll see a few more lever-actions (although, I certainly could live without them). Maybe not the Winchester per-se, but certainly a decent analog. Or, they could always use .357 to supply their lever-action.

Edited by Katana67

Going out on a limb, i doubt either one will be added.

Instead, i'd reckon that we'll have more fitting replacements.

Mosin = Lee Enfield. Some common lever action (marlin maybe?) = Winchester.

This is just a guess, but its my 2 cents.

Ohhhh, I'd love a lever action Winchester, beyond revolvers they're my favourite type of gun it would be so awesome to be able to run around with one, even if they sucked and had no attachments who gives a damn they're badass.

Would have to name my character Quartermaine or Tom Sawyer every time I got one...

I really hope they do add one I prefer going to the awkward weapons you need to struggle with largely because I value looks over functionality I don't care if something is the best weapon in a game if it doesn't look cool it gets left on the ground.

I always liked that the fact that the enfield had such a shitty rate of fire forced you to pick your shots rather than just throw lead downfield, plus it was a fairly chunky round that did decent damage.

I always liked that the fact that the enfield had such a shitty rate of fire forced you to pick your shots rather than just throw lead downfield, plus it was a fairly chunky round that did decent damage.

That was because the game was trying to simulate bolt-action fire without actually having animations for it. If the creators of Operation Arrowhead opted for a Mosin instead, they would've probably had the same outcome.

I always preferred the CZ-550 over it, though. The gun was nearly impossible to find, which I liked and hated at the same time, because it should've been one of the game's most common weapons but it also had a good sense of how some guns need to be really rare. You really had to pick your shots with it, because ammunition was even rarer than the Enfield's, it held fewer rounds, and had no ironsights. But it was a great scoped weapon to use in most instances.

The only reason it become so overshadowed is because grabbing hold of military weapons and ammo was much easier, and the sound for all of the civilian guns was screwed up (seriously, they picked the quietest sounds for the Winchester and it attracted zombies from very far away)

I hope the CZ-527 lives up to the CZ-550, of course they could add a CZ-550 later on in addition to it. I just hope I get to see more people using it, because I've seen plenty of people making use of the "lower-end" weapons in the Standalone.

The Mosin was probably included as the "replacement" for the Lee-Enfield, although I say probably as they're likely going to have many more weapons than the mod did by the final release, and many of them will be similar in performance.

It's possible we'll get a Winchester 1895 or some other gun, though, because one of the artists, Chris Torchia, has expressed interest in having at least one lever action rifle in the game at some point.

I doubt it'll be the 1866, though, as .45-70 is really only used in lever-action rifles, so it's pretty pointless to have in DayZ. The Lee-Enfield is also unlikely, because it's a .303 British firearm, and that was also used almost exclusively in British pre-war era weapons, most of which you would never find in an environment like Chernarus. There are better firearms to choose from.

Sporterized Lee-Enfields are always a possibility, because they were civilian-designed and used .308/7.62x51mm NATO and were also much more popular. I can still see plenty of rifles before them, but it could easily be added as a nod to the mod, no pun intended.

enfields are still used by a great extend in insurgent military and low-budget country's militaries.

So they wouldnt be THAT unlikely to find.

And for the lever action, isnt there a winchester-like weapon designed in 7.62x54r?

And the mosin's iron sights are just terrible.

Add the M1 Garand, there are M1 Garands everywhere!

enfields are still used by a great extend in insurgent military and low-budget country's militaries.

So they wouldnt be THAT unlikely to find.

And for the lever action, isnt there a winchester-like weapon designed in 7.62x54r?

And the mosin's iron sights are just terrible.

They're used by middle eastern insurgents, but not really Eastern European countries. Most of them have modernized to the point that bolt-action rifles are only used for ceremonial or sniper purposes at this point. Almost any bolt-action rifle you'd see with insurgents in a place like Chernarus would be a Mosin, and then the rest would be a variety of civilian hunting rifles, like CZs, KAR-98ks, or even Sporterized Lee-Enfields, as I suggested.

I'm not saying you couldn't find one, it's not that bad of a choice to put in, but it's chambered in .303 British, and it's not that good of a choice to warrant making a new caliber just to have it. There are better rifles they could do than the Enfield, honestly. The only real reason that I can see them wanting one is for mod nostalgia, but other than that it's got better alternatives.

And yes, there are 7.62x54mmR Winchesters. The Winchester 1895 I mentioned was sent to Russia for wartime use chambered in 7.62x54mmR. However, it was not very popular and most of them were never used, or saw very limited combat. However, they make more sense than most lever actions, and are chambered in a round that's more realistic than something like .45-70, so that's why they'd be a better choice than most. Lever-actions aren't really needed for the game, as they were never hugely popular outside of the U.S. to begin with, but some of the devs have expressed interest and I'm never going to complain about new content.

The ironsights on the mosin aren't the best, but it's not supposed to be a high-end weapon. The fact that you can put the PU Scope and LRS on it are definitely the devs being nice, because normally these require specialized mounts to work, even though it is possible in real life (I'm not complaining that you can.)

As the game goes on, optics for the mosin will probably be very rare and you'll have to rely on the ironsights or move onto a better weapon, which is really what you'd want to do in real life. The only thing that would keep me using a Mosin post-apocalypse is reliability and ease of repairing, as they were meant to be cheap but able to go through hell and still work.

The mosin really shouldn't be able to contest with something like an AKM late game, as the AKM outclasses it in pretty much every respect.

Add the M1 Garand, there are M1 Garands everywhere!

In the US, yes. In Eastern European countries, no.

Well, I don't know.

The devs of dayz and BI think of an situation and story, which would give some additions in the weaponry arsenal sense, example, Chernarus went on war with russia and the americans assisted them and supplied them, for western weapons, or the weapons were supplied because of the zombie apocalypse, I don't know much about the story of chernarus, but who knows what could have happened.

Would love to see both! For some reason, I always wanted to have the SMLE be able to mount a suppressor.

it exists

JaJnQx3.jpg

f7d4447f77.png

So many of them in circulation all over the world it would not be a huge stretch to imagine them being in a Eastern European nation.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

it exists

JaJnQx3.jpg

f7d4447f77.png

So many of them in circulation all over the world it would not be a huge stretch to imagine them being in a Eastern European nation.

The only country that's relatively close to where Chernarus would be located is Turkey. Greece, Denmark, Italy, Norway, and Germany had them for periods of time, but not many would've made it to Eastern Europe.

If they added .30-06 as a dedicated high-caliber civilian/hunting round, I could see the M1 Garand being added as a higher-end civilian battle rifle. In fact, it would actually work very well, considering it plays out much differently than most other battle rifles you see. Instead of holding 10/20 rounds and being magazine-loaded, it's a clip/hand loaded rifle and only holds 8 rounds. The big advantage to it would be similar to the SKS; you've got the capability of similar rifles without the need of a new magazine at the cost of limited customization and lower capacity (I'd be okay if the Garand had no attachments, since the scoped variants weren't very popular). Plus, it's super iconic and also has that unforgettable *Ding!* sound when you run out of ammo.

The SVT-40 would be the other "high grade" civilian battle rifle. It's got more ammunition capacity and can use the PU scope, but you need a magazine first.

I actually like this idea now, I think that's what the devs should do.

The only country that's relatively close to where Chernarus would be located is Turkey. Greece, Denmark, Italy, Norway, and Germany had them for periods of time, but not many would've made it to Eastern Europe.

If they added .30-06 as a dedicated high-caliber civilian/hunting round, I could see the M1 Garand being added as a higher-end civilian battle rifle. In fact, it would actually work very well, considering it plays out much differently than most other battle rifles you see. Instead of holding 10/20 rounds and being magazine-loaded, it's a clip/hand loaded rifle and only holds 8 rounds. The big advantage to it would be similar to the SKS; you've got the capability of similar rifles without the need of a new magazine at the cost of limited customization and lower capacity (I'd be okay if the Garand had no attachments, since the scoped variants weren't very popular). Plus, it's super iconic and also has that unforgettable *Ding!* sound when you run out of ammo.

The SVT-40 would be the other "high grade" civilian battle rifle. It's got more ammunition capacity and can use the PU scope, but you need a magazine first.

I actually like this idea now, I think that's what the devs should do.

Yea I like the idea of a dedicated civilian hunting round like .30-06.

From my understanding its is insanely popular all over the world as a big game round.

Yea I like the idea of a dedicated civilian hunting round like .30-06.

From my understanding its is insanely popular all over the world as a big game round.

Yes, .30-06 is one of the world's most popular hunting rounds, and its used in quite a lot of guns. Plus, its used in few military weapons nowadays so it could be limited to a civilian leveled list while 7.62x51mm could be an exclusively military round and 7.62x54mmR could be the mixed round which was less common than .30-06 but more common than 7.62x51.

You'd have to suspend some of your disbelief since 7.62x54R would probably still be more common than even .30-06 in real life, but if you want to have civilian weapons like the Mosin & SVT-40 and military weapons like the SVD & PKM then you'll have to sacrifice a little bit of realism.

CTorchia said some while ago, that DayZ will probably receive the Marlin 1984C, because it shares the .357-ammo with the Revolver.

However, the Winchester 1895 would be good, since it shares Mosin-ammo, too.

Edited by irishroy

hm...reloading PKM with ocasional boxes of 20rd will be fun....

Id like to see Lee Enfield No 1 Mk III. Let say there were smuggled from Takistan for Chernarus comunist rebels. They could be found in houses outside towns.

CTorchia said some while ago, that DayZ will probably receive the Marlin 1984C, because it shares the .357-ammo with the Revolver.

However, the Winchester 1895 would be good, since it shares Mosin-ammo, too.

Could have both, don't see why not. The only problem could be balance issues since lever-action rifles are never magazine loaded, but the Winchesters could be made rarer, or 7.62x54mmR could, or something. .357 guns will almost definitely be rare, though.

hm...reloading PKM with ocasional boxes of 20rd will be fun....

Id like to see Lee Enfield No 1 Mk III. Let say there were smuggled from Takistan for Chernarus comunist rebels. They could be found in houses outside towns.

Yeah, it's just that they'd need to add .303 British in order to accommodate for it, and there aren't that many other guns (or good ones) to add for it.

I would think so considering they were staple guns of the mod. But idk they might go a different route.

One probably huge positive of the lee enfield being introduced is it probably wont be ruined by the accessory system. No quad rail no bipod no optics.

Atleast I would hope not.

Who cares if they could have been in the country or not get them in its a zombie game for christsake its hardly true to life .