Skydive (DayZ)

ArmA2 OA Beta Patch 124802 for Steam Update

I'm slightly confused about this update.  Is this only for server operators that are launching their servers though steam or does this need to be done to ALL servers so they can be seen in the Steam browser?

My server is installed using DVDs and not steam, so will this update be performed the same way?  Do I still need this update?  Will I have to buy a copy of ArmA2 OA on steam in order to keep my server running with the Steam browser?

Some clarification would be a big help!

Thanks!

ARMA 2 and ARMA 2 OA retail CD-Keys work on Steam, so you can activate it on there.

You will have to install the newest Beta Patches with Steam, but this doesn't create a two class system, as any / all CD-Keys work on Steam.

You will not be able to use Steam on Dedicated Servers, however. You will have to get used to using SteamCMD:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Edited by kichilron

ARMA 2 and ARMA 2 OA retail CD-Keys work on Steam, so you can activate it on there.

You will have to install the newest Beta Patches with Steam, but this doesn't create a two class system, as any / all CD-Keys work on Steam.

You will not be able to use Steam on Dedicated Servers, however. You will have to get used to using SteamCMD:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Why can't I use Steam on dedicated servers?  They are my servers and I use steam to install ArmA 3 already on my server.

Can the DayZ server(s) still be launched the same way I always have with my scripts?

Why can't I use Steam on dedicated servers?  They are my servers and I use steam to install ArmA 3 already on my server.

You can use Steam if you fancy blue-screening your server.

This won't always happen, but dedicated servers don't usually have the graphical power to display the GUI of Steam, which is why SteamCMD was published in the first place. It is really use to use and you don't risk losing your server.

Can the DayZ server(s) still be launched the same way I always have with my scripts?

Nothing is different, just the way you install it.

Thank you for all the info, Kichilron!

I'll have to look into importing my ArmA 2 DVD keys into Steam and see if I can get this all set up.

My dedicated game servers are servers I hand built that are overclock and water cooled and have good NVIDIA gpus in them.  They can handle anything GUI based.

If that is the case then that's good. Stock dedicated servers do not have this, though. Which is why SteamCMD is needed.

Still having issues trying to get a server up using Steam to install ArmA 2 & OA and also getting server working.

I have used SteamCMD to download the files as per the post R4Z0R made, but whenever I launch my script that I have always used, I get an error about missing files. (Yes, I have modified my paths in my scripts to reflect the new directories used)  Do I still need to copy the ArmA 2 Addons directory into the server directory SteamCMD downloaded all the files to?  Or, should I simply have OA install into the ArmA 2 directory to avoid these headaches?

I'm wondering if I need to change something with my startup string or -mod string to have my DayZ server launch correctly with the Steam install.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Skydive

Your startup string must be set to the arma2oaserver.exe in the root folder and the modlist should just be: -mod:@DayZ;@Hive

However depending on what beta patch you are running you may not be able to get in to the server. There seems to be problems with the latest beta patches released through steam and we currently have no way of downgrading..

Okay, so here is the update:  I got fed up with trying to get the steam install to work on the new server I set up for it, so I wiped the whole server and installed Windows Server 2012 R2 on it.  It was previously running Windows Server 2008 R2.

Did all of the ArmA 2, ArmA 2 OA, and DayZ installs with steam as I had before, (using the Steam GUI) added the @hive and database files to the A2 OA directory, and modified my -mod string so that it only has @DayZ and @Hive.

This time everything worked as it should.  Dunno if the steam install just didn't like Server 2008 R2 or what.

On a side note, for gametracker to show your server correctly with the steam install, you will need to set the scan port to your steamqueryport in your server confilg file.  I am using the default 22816.

This time everything worked as it should.  Dunno if the steam install just didn't like Server 2008 R2 or what.

I have multiple dedi boxes running 2008 - infact I have not worked with 2012, but not got any problems of that sort.

I have multiple dedi boxes running 2008 - infact I have not worked with 2012, but not got any problems of that sort.

Not sure what the problem may have been.  Could have just been a corrupted install.

Server 2012 R2 performs a hell of a lot better than 2008 R2, so it's win-win.  Server is getting populated and I haven't run into any real problems so far.

Server 2012 R2 performs a hell of a lot better than 2008 R2, so it's win-win.  Server is getting populated and I haven't run into any real problems so far.

Is it? Might have to read up on that and possibly switch over. Because I can have 2012 as well as 2008, but just didn't bother with it thus far.

Is it? Might have to read up on that and possibly switch over. Because I can have 2012 as well as 2008, but just didn't bother with it thus far.

I only ran Server 2008 R2 with my DayZ servers in the past because it used to run better on it.  Server 2012 R2 is far more responsive.  Boots faster and performs far better if you are running up-to-date hardware.  The new server I just built is running an i7 990X overclocked to 4.5GHz, is water cooled and is running 2133MHz DDR3 with a Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD.  It moves along quite nicely.

Just thought I would share this with you:  Doing some different performance testing with Server 2012 R2, I have found a couple things that will definitely give you better performance with a dedicated server.  First,  You want to use the -cpuCount= switch and set it to 2 cores.  I have experimented with using 6 and even 4, but for whatever reason when you use anything over 2 with 2012 R2, it will ONLY use 1 core and peg it out even with just 7-10 players on the server.  I'm not sure why this happens, but I suspect it is in the way the ArmA 2 engine multithreads.  Currently, I have the -cpuCount= switch set for 2 cores and I also use the /affinity switch to assign the cores.  Doing this correctly uses the cores in scale with server load and disperses the load between the cores.  In addition to the -cpuCount switch, I have the -exThreads= switch set for 3.

I would love to see my server full so that I can further performance tune, but who knows if and when that will happen again.