Sign in to follow this  
Rigor Mortis (DayZ)

[Suggestion] Ringing in ears

I expect this to be the least popular post I've ever made, but here it goes anyways.

Has anyone here ever fired a weapon without hearing protection?  Well, I have and with the exception of my 0.22, guns make my ears ring after a single shot, and some of them are worse than others.

I would love to see handguns cause their owners to get a temporary ear ringing effect that reduces their ability to hear what's going on around them.

Opinions? Hate mail?

• Like 8

I've never fired a gun irl but if this is how irl works then fine.

It would be an inconvenience but it is something that seems logical to add. This would add a whole plethora of new items such as earbuds, earmuffs, etc.

This works really well in the ACE mod for ArmA 2. That mod also simulates pressure when firing as well so your vision gets a bit distorted when you are near the end of a barrel of a gun, which is realistic too. Would love to see little things like this added :) Good shout OP :)

would that be great if you could take someones sounds off for like 5 minutes by shooting like 1 cm off his ear.

Awesome idea, maybe a message like: 'I feel blood dripping down my cheek'

In extreme cases, hearing loss should last for hours.

This would make sniping less feasible too, so I am pro this...

'Sounds' good.

I don't think long-term deafness should be a thing, but certainly short term muffled hearing could be cool. Would be neat to see bandits fire a gun next to a prisoner's head to make them near-deaf for a couple of minutes.

Having ringing after firing a weapon would add to immersion too, so I'm for it.

I don't think long-term deafness should be a thing, but certainly short term muffled hearing could be cool.

Any constant high-pitched ringing and/or permanent deafness would be way too annoying, but short ringing and a temporary muffling of sounds would work, like they do in many games when a grenade goes off nearby. Someone on Reddit made a good point though - ear plugs would logically muffle all sounds anyways, so no one would wear the ear plugs, electronic muffs would work however, but that seems a bit strange... might be best to simply have no hearing protection at all and let everyone just deal with some temporary hearing loss when guns go off in enclosed spaces and such.

Any constant high-pitched ringing and/or permanent deafness would be way too annoying, but short ringing and a temporary muffling of sounds would work, like they do in many games when a grenade goes off nearby. Someone on Reddit made a good point though - ear plugs would logically muffle all sounds anyways, so no one would wear the ear plugs, electronic muffs would work however, but that seems a bit strange... might be best to simply have no hearing protection at all and let everyone just deal with some temporary hearing loss when guns go off in enclosed spaces and such.

There are ear plugs that allow you to hear perfectly and also muffle gunshots.  I loved these things when I was in the military.

http://www.pksafety.com/moldex-battleplugs-impulse-earplugs.html?gclid=CIXM3fPdmr8CFZRj7Aoda3YAcQ

Awesome idea, maybe a message like: 'I feel blood dripping down my cheek'

In extreme cases, hearing loss should last for hours.

This would make sniping less feasible too, so I am pro this...

Bleeding from the ears is pretty extreme. The only time I've had this happen to me was when I was between a 240B and a 249 on a support by fire position. They each let off well over 200 rounds. Both my ears bled a little and I couldn't hear out of the side the 249 was on for a few days and I couldn't hear out of the other side with the 240B for two weeks.

There are ear plugs that allow you to hear perfectly and also muffle gunshots.  I loved these things when I was in the military.

http://www.pksafety.com/moldex-battleplugs-impulse-earplugs.html?gclid=CIXM3fPdmr8CFZRj7Aoda3YAcQ

When I use ear pro, I use a pair similar to this. They do work very well from an open field to inside a room.

http://www.rangerjoes.com/SUREFIRE-Ear-Plugs-EP3-Sonic-Defender-P2707.aspx

I really would like to see this be put in game, but no long lasting effects. The constant ringing I already have in both my ears is enough...