Sign in to follow this  
iongaming33@aim.com

Armed Helicopters Are NOT Overpowered

Then what good are they, time consuming to get all the parts, difficult to maintain, easily stolen, difficult to fly, difficult to get, difficult to get and thus practice flying, don't last long with the wrong fuel, right fuel is hard to get.

Nothing about that sounds interesting or rewarding, I'll just make a base and be happy with hunting animals or people as most people should be satisfied with. That and have a car I can maybe spraypaint things on or booby trap and leave on the road.

There's never really a situation you need the kind of speed a helicopter gives to get somewhere. Unless there was an air drop or something but that's silly.

Scouting runs looking for other peoples bases, scouting runs looking for crash sites, picking up friends who are far away/spawned on the other side of the map, among other things.

How many people would be able to properly pull the engine block from a car, haul it back to another car, remove the engine from the first car, then install the new block, connect it properly (all the wiring + mechanical connections), and get it to run?

I would have mentioned that but as this is not a cars and trucks thread I left that out,  Stay on topic please.

I fail to see your point. By that logic, getting killed should be removed from the game because it forces me to spend a lot of time doing something I don't enjoy doing, which is gearing up and re-equipping.

Thats not my point at all..My point is that possessing a helicopter, shifts the balance of power a ridicilous huge amount of power into those who own it. Whoever has the heli, has complete map control. not just a minor advantage. but:

- being everywhere you want in a matter of seconds, bringing in reinforcements to a firefight, regaining the control of a lost one, dispatching sniper teams to literally not enterable positions

- seeing everything you want from a safe distance, act as spotter for snipers, and cover a HUGE area doing so. literally ignoring walls and stuff, because you change your direction of view as you circle over target area.

- being able to put a shit load of pressure to the enemy, by keeping him "supressed" to concealed position, and therefor being a sitting duck for the flanking ground teams guided by the heli's spotter.

- being able to scout the whole map for hidden bases in a matter of minutes.

- being able to track down and steal every single car on the server easy mode.

- being able to see if someone is actually there guarding those assets or if its easy picking. And if its easy picking, why not just fly there again a couple of minutes later, only take us 2 minutes, wait.. lets use those 2 minutes on the completely opposite side of the map.

and guess what? you don't even have to run for your corpse no more, the rest of your imba special forces combined arms team, that got the guy due to the advantages stated above, will just collect your stuff, and fly it down to the coast and pick you up again so you can jump right into the next firefight literally 5 minutes later.

And guess how i can efficiently counter that thread built up by a group with likely 5 times the manpower of mine? .. By wasting a whole day running around the outbacks of the map, looking for a grounded heli to destroy it. Now thats sure much of a fun than loosing your gear in a more adrenaline heavy way you've pointed out.

You want a chopper? Give me underground stashes and manpads then!. How'd you feel in your chopper when it get hits from an inbound manpad as soon as you pass over that hill in front of you, and you and all your team goes down in a big ass fireball? .. Thats most likely how those feel, who be forced to act against chopper teams.

Edited by Agrefits
  • Like 1

I would have mentioned that but as this is not a cars and trucks thread I left that out,  Stay on topic please.

Same subject really. I mean, engineering, maintenance, etc.. Guessing every survivor in Chernarus learnt those skills overnight. 

which forces me to spend my time ( a shit load and ton of time)  into something i have absolutely no interest in.

Then don't! If you have no interest in helicopters then don't! Just play the game like you normally would. If you don't want one don't put in the work. 

Same subject really. I mean, engineering, maintenance, etc.. Guessing every survivor in Chernarus learnt those skills overnight. 

Nah, read books on it.

Thats not my point at all..My point is that possessing a helicopter, shifts the balance of power a ridicilous huge amount of power into those who own it. Whoever has the heli, has complete map control. not just a minor advantage. but:

- being everywhere you want in a matter of seconds, bringing in reinforcements to a firefight, regaining the control of a lost one, dispatching sniper teams to literally not enterable positions

- seeing everything you want from a safe distance, act as spotter for snipers, and cover a HUGE area doing so. literally ignoring walls and stuff, because you change your direction of view as you circle over target area.

- being able to put a shit load of pressure to the enemy, by keeping him "supressed" to concealed position, and therefor being a sitting duck for the flanking ground teams guided by the heli's spotter.

- being able to scout the whole map for hidden bases in a matter of minutes.

- being able to track down and steal every single car on the server easy mode.

- being able to see if someone is actually there guarding those assets or if its easy picking. And if its easy picking, why not just fly there again a couple of minutes later, only take us 2 minutes, wait.. lets use those 2 minutes on the completely opposite side of the map.

and guess what? you don't even have to run for your corpse no more, the rest of your imba special forces combined arms team, that got the guy due to the advantages stated above, will just collect your stuff, and fly it down to the coast and pick you up again so you can jump right into the next firefight literally 5 minutes later.

And guess how i can efficiently counter that thread built up by a group with likely 5 times the manpower of mine? .. By wasting a whole day running around the outbacks of the map, looking for a grounded heli to destroy it. Now thats sure much of a fun than loosing your gear in a more adrenaline heavy way you've pointed out.

You want a chopper? Give me underground stashes and manpads then!.

Bretty gud post but let me tell you this,

Main "problem" with the heli in DayZ mod was that how easy was to refuel it just at any of your local gas station, basically your heli never ran out of fuel.

Meanwhile in real life, aviation fuel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_fuel

PS.

Also how easy it was to fix it after it took damage, just find a scrap metal or new rotor, use toolbox and voila brand new heli.

Edited by Frosti

Stay on topic? The topic is about armed helicopters, the first 3 pages are off topic. helicopters are going to be in this game, that is confirmed. I'm not saying that cannot change, but it's looking like helicopters will have their presence in the game. The topic was about helis with guns. 

Nah, read books on it.

Well once again by that logic every survivor has to find manuals on how to repair/maintain cars or helicopters. If you took four survivors, and one of them had those skills on repairing cars, I'm pretty sure they would have a very basic idea of how a helicopter worked inside. We ain't building space rockets here.

Then don't! If you have no interest in helicopters then don't! Just play the game like you normally would. If you don't want one don't put in the work. 

Exactly. Most of you are missing the main point here. It's not about giving people a helicopter so they can go cause havoc over the map.

. Helicopters would be very rare.

. Parts would be hard to find.

. Hard to maintain.

. Ammo would be scarce.

But you know what? For those that get bored of settling for hunting animals and meeting people, it gives them that something extra, that longevity. REWARD. Again just to make my point... REWARD. Some people play this game for reward.  

• Like 1

Well once again by that logic every survivor has to find manuals on how to repair/maintain cars or helicopters. If you took four survivors, and one of them had those skills on repairing cars, I'm pretty sure they would have a very basic idea of how a helicopter worked inside. We ain't building space rockets here.

Pls, I fix broken legs with stick and rag and mend bullet wounds with rags as well. All under 10 seconds.

I can do the same with heli.

I'm kinda surprised at how ant-helicopter some of you guys are. Honestly even in high-pop servers in the mod with like 8+ Helo's on server, I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 active at once. Adding to that the fact that most of the groups I've seen using them barely seem capable of keeping them in the sky for more than 20 minutes, let alone use them to gun down every bambi on the server, they're not exactly game breaking. And we are probably talking about fairly lighty armed helicopters too, so a decent amount of small arms fire should prove enough to damage them.

I think the realism arguement is kinda moot, if we can just assume every survivor knows how to strip an entire car bare and essentially build one from scratch, I dont see why we cant allow the same for choppers. Besides, the first time you hear those chopper blades cutting through the air in the distance, it gets your heart racing and makes you look for good cover. I like the experience.

• Like 1

Pls, I fix broken legs with stick and rag and mend bullet wounds with rags as well. All under 10 seconds.

I can do the same with heli.

And once again... By that logic everyone is a medical expect in DayZ? I guess we should scrap the current system that is easy for everyone to use and make it ultra-realistic. Broken legs? Enjoy not playing DayZ for a few months, better make sure that heals.

Edited by RDogg

I'm kinda surprised at how ant-helicopter some of you guys are

You missed the point of some people here.

It's not anti-helicopter but anti overpowered item in game.

Stay on topic? The topic is about armed helicopters, the first 3 pages are off topic. helicopters are going to be in this game, that is confirmed. I'm not saying that cannot change, but it's looking like helicopters will have their presence in the game. The topic was about helis with guns. 

Again, knowing how to arm one, how to repair one, where to find fuel, the tools needed to even fix the damn things.  None of these would even be feasible by your everyday normal civilian.  Very much on topic,  Cars and trucks however as I quoted the other guy about is not on topic.

"the possible personal negative outcomes"

I like that phrase.. have you ever thought of running for president of somewhere ?

Knew someone was gonna have a go at that as soon as I wrote it haha. What I mean is the people crying that armed helis are OP because they got killed by it once or they were driving and one swept in and sprayed their vehicle. I'm talking about the rarity of a gunner hitting somebody without spraying, or having the pilot hover to get a shot.

• Like 1

A large percentage of the fun times I had in DayZ mod revolved around choppers, it'd be a much lesser game without them. 

A large percentage of the fun times I had in DayZ mod revolved around choppers, it'd be a much lesser game without them. 

The topic is not about not having choppers but about balancing them, by making it harder to maintain the heli.

Again, knowing how to arm one, how to repair one, where to find fuel, the tools needed to even fix the damn things.  None of these would even be feasible by your everyday normal civilian.  Very much on topic,  Cars and trucks however as I quoted the other guy about is not on topic.

You're point is utterly flawed. Because like seriously, by your logic (Off-topic or not..) each and every single survivor in Chernarus can use any form of weaponry with ease, can repair vehicles with ease, have a lot of medical knowledge, are experts in surviving and hunting, and are also topped up partial military like tactics when it comes to firefight. 

Off-topic or whatever, but the whole ultra-realism argument is becoming seriously flawed. 

You're point is utterly flawed. Because like seriously, by your logic (Off-topic or not..) each and every single survivor in Chernarus can use any form of weaponry with ease, can repair vehicles with ease, have a lot of medical knowledge, are experts in surviving and hunting, and are also topped up partial military like tactics when it comes to firefight. 

Off-topic or whatever, but the whole ultra-realism argument is becoming seriously flawed. 

Heli in DayZ mod was overpowered becouse of how easy was to maintain it (easy fuel and fix). Having it harder to have a operational heli is not about ultra-realism but about balancing overpowered item.

Okay, so your survivor shouldn't know how to fly a helicopter? Tell me how he can strip an M4, AKM, use an IV line, gut & cook every animal in Chernarus, do anything mechanical on cars, sstring a bow & fishing rod, or anything else that your survivor can do. That is what RDog was saying. 

Any idiot can pick up a gun a pull the trigger.  Said idiot may not be able to hit the side of a barn but shooting a gun is far easier than piloting a helicopter.

Anyway, this topic has already been beaten to death countless times and trying to be your own special snowflake and starting your own topic on it doesn't make you important.  Mods will rule the game eventually and you'll have you gunships without the worry of even having to maintain them.

• Like 2

The topic is not about not having choppers but about balancing them, by making it harder to maintain the heli.

I was more kinda responding to the calls to remove helicopters completely, it's get that it's not realistic but neither is having a shot of morphine fixing broken bones, you have to make some concessions to having fun. If realism was so much fun I wouldn't play games.

Okay, so your survivor shouldn't know how to fly a helicopter? Tell me how he can strip an M4, AKM, use an IV line, gut & cook every animal in Chernarus, do anything mechanical on cars, sstring a bow & fishing rod, or anything else that your survivor can do. That is what RDog was saying. 

And I've mentioned in the many topics that people have brought wanting more military grade weapons about what you just said.  It's already stupid how we can easily dismantle weapons.  Again, this thread is not about that, Is it really that fucking hard to stay on topic of an already dead horse?

Heli in DayZ mod was overpowered becouse of how easy was to maintain it (easy fuel and fix). Having it harder to have a operational heli is not about ultra-realism but about balancing overpowered item.

There was nothing that can be done about the one in the DayZ Mod. It's a mod of ArmA II, and so the objects, vehicles, etc.. Come from ArmA II. They used the same repair and refuel system as ArmA II. It wasn't overpowered, it's just nothing could/can be done about it. Yeah they could of removed them (Some servers did) but a lot of people never complained. 

I'm not sure how something can be overpowered when the ammo for it is rare/very rare? Which someone is now going to reply "Oh well why bother then". Again, reward. If people want more than sitting on their backsides, building a base, and hunting a cow or two, I don't see nothing wrong with that.