Sign in to follow this  
Street Elite

Navigation

So I just got my new computer and DayZ runs great! I have played for like 20-30 hours and it is fun. So on my current character, I am bouncing in and out of the big city and have good clothes, an axe, a screwdriver, and some food. Everything is going great. And then I got mowed down by bandits, but I rub it off because that stuff happens in DayZ. But when I respawn, I want to get the gear they have, so I want to go to the airfield and city, but I forget how. I don't know how to find where to go, and I am all around confused. I need some lengthy type and strong visual representations to show how to successfully navigate without a interactive map to guide you like in other games. This is the only part of the game that is turning me off and I was like, why not turn to the forums for help???

check out the DayZdb map memorize general areas and directions

But how do I know which way is north,east,south,west etc etc

Clouds I believe go roughly east (might wanna look that one up) the sun is sw - se unless they changed that - at night the Pleiades is east the dipper north - as long as you get a town name you can always look it up or print a basic map out thats what I did when I started

• Like 1

The sun is in the rises south east sets south west.

Mod : merge please.

EDIT: iZurvive for android is what I use. Great satellite and topographical maps. Can put waypoints, get distances and search town and city names. Has both Cyrillic and standard (?) Spelling.

Edited by Inception.
Comment merged.

Despite the game's lore and the fictional country Chernarus' location, the sun works as though you are in the southern hemisphere. Rises just slighty left (N) of direct East, sets slightly right (N) of direct West. At noon it will be in the sky slightly towards the North. Once all that becomes second nature, paying attention to the time of the server you joined is more useful than a compass. Play time/experience is the key to learning the landmarks/visual indicators of each general area in the game.

Set the dayz db map as start page in the steam browser, when you go in-game pres shift tab, open the browser (map will open), from that point whenever you need the map to find figure out where you are just press shift tab, kind of a replacement for the map on the m button. That is how I mostly do it, although I don't need the map, I have been playing on chernarus for so long, I mostly know all the important routes out of my head.

Everything above is useful, you can also use the in game compass and maps for some added fun.

Above everything else though, just play the game and explore.  Eventually you'll know the map very well.

If you're really brand new i'd also suggest just forgetting the 'loot areas' and going for a good long wander.  Figure out some game mechanics, fine-tune your V mashing to hop over those fences, get lost in Gorka, shoot pigs in Zeleno...

I still remember my very first DayZmod play.  It was just on dusk (back when zombies were littered like sand through a place) and i spent what i thought was an hour just lying flat hoping these wretching dark shapes silhouetted against the waning sun wouldn't spur into action and devour me.

EDIT: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

satellite picture to a pretty high resolution even up close.  Able to pick out most prominant rock features and apple groves etc.

I mostly run without this map, but i've had mod practice and it's pretty well ingrained.

The random spawns with lots of erratic and nonsensical roads/streets to nowhere are development towns far up north.

If you're on the coast, it's easy.

look to sea: left=north right=south (at the moment i think people only spawn on East coast, not the South coast).

Berez - NEAF.  Go pretty much due north from Berez, stick left of lakes and large rock outcrops and boom: at NEAF.

Berez - Southern towns ie Balota : just follow the coast round if you don't trust cutting through SW.

but yeah, just leave a sat map open in a background browser window if you can.  it doesn't take too long to remember, and most cities are signed adequately (map has english + 'russian' acrylic)

Edited by Inception.
Comment merged.

Bro, the guy above is right. The most fun thing to do is to just wander, while RPing as much as you can. Best if you travel with friends/groups. My advice - Never takes cans or canned food. Only eat hunted meat and only drink from wells, canteens, and water bottles. Adds much more RP and more of a challenge to the game.

• Like 1