Sign in to follow this  
Theheroicbandit

Heroic Actions(why must we all bandit?)

I was playing the mod and decided, I'm going to be a hero, a dude was getting attacked by Zeds in elektro and I ran up to him to help him, and he stops, turns around and KOS. He gets eaten by Zeds while I die. Eventually I met up with someone and we decided to team up.we found a motor bike and drove around asking people if they need help and gave them supplies(no weapons, just the necessities). We are currently building a base of operations so we can continue our ways, but we need help. We need HEROES. My guy has a bandit skin on because I killed three people who tried to kill me on sight, they fired first, I killed them. The question of the day is, why does everyone need to KOS? Surely heroes are needed and more preferred, but why does everyone choose the wrong path?

• Like 1

Normal and Epoch. Version 1.63, working up a team amongst friends where we can help others. I play on servers that let me play.

if I see a new spawn (who doesn't attack me on sight) I usually give him a canteen and whatever else I have a lot of or can easily replace.

I ran up on two noobs, one with a ak, his friend had broken legs and a crossbow. I bandaged the bleeding guy and dragged him into cherno hospital as to save him from Zeds. His teammate had no bullets and was both hungry and thirsty. I gave him food and water and then his teammate died from blood loss/ lack of blood. The other teammate thanked me for not KOS, then went on his way. Those Hero moments.

• Like 1

Helped a new player by giving him some loot and healing him. Showed him where the good loot is and even let him roll with my group til he disconnected.

We don't give a shit. We honestly, right hand to whoever you might or might not pray to, do not care whatsoever.

Normal and Epoch. Version 1.63, working up a team amongst friends where we can help others. I play on servers that let me play.

Just remember my good man, epoch and overwatch are mainly PVP. When I first started out I would jump onto overwatch and epoch servers, not knowing the difference from the pure vanilla Dayz experience and that it was players killing everything that moved. Get 1.8.1 and hop onto a vanilla server, better chance of being able to play the hero role there.

Edited by Jock McScottish
  • Like 1

By normal I meant vanilla. Yes I do experience quite a lot of pvp in dayz at the moment but I help others and kill only when shot at. I feel that more people need to be heroes to equal out the growing number of bandits.

By normal I meant vanilla. Yes I do experience quite a lot of pvp in dayz at the moment but I help others and kill only when shot at. I feel that more people need to be heroes to equal out the growing number of bandits.

I feel your pain brother. I too play to be a hero, and by that I don't mean running around bloodbagging folk and stuff to get a hero skin, I just mean playing as a good guy and being nice to any fellow survivor I bump into. we are out there my good man, keep the faith!

Edited by Jock McScottish

I'm on Epoch (yea I know.. I mean EZpoch) and I constantly run in to good people on normally hostile servers. So now I make sure to do things to help others.

One way to help really stands out to me though. It was done to me a couple weeks ago and i sware i've done it more than a dozen times since then.

So the story goes... I was close to ending a mission with about 10 mins until restart when I got flanked and killed. When I spawned a guy that saw me die who could have easily killed the last AI and looted my body, asked me to tell him my location. He picked me up and flew me close to my body and covered me while I got my stuff.

I thought that was probably the best thing you can do for someone that's about to lose all their stuff at restart. So now when I see a player is killed close to restart I do the same. It happens quite a lot.

I'm on Epoch (yea I know.. I mean EZpoch) and I constantly run in to good people on normally hostile servers. So now I make sure to do things to help others.

One way to help really stands out to me though. It was done to me a couple weeks ago and i sware i've done it more than a dozen times since then.

So the story goes... I was close to ending a mission with about 10 mins until restart when I got flanked and killed. When I spawned a guy that saw me die who could have easily killed the last AI and looted my body, asked me to tell him my location. He picked me up and flew me close to my body and covered me while I got my stuff.

I thought that was probably the best thing you can do for someone that's about to lose all their stuff at restart. So now when I see a player is killed close to restart I do the same. It happens quite a lot.

Funnily enough, a few weeks ago when I was playing someone offered to cover my dead body when I respawned to get my loot back. I was dubious, thought it was a trap. Probably not though after reading this!

Thing is, I play Dayz for the survival experience, therefore the idea of going back to my own dead body to loot it is a game breaker for me, when I die, I die. Time for a fresh start.

People KOS because they are too cowardly to risk their precious gear making friends. They're paranoid that everyone will kill them, and become absorbed into a vicious cycle of selfishness, greed and resentment. Fearing for their gear, they will kill others on sight. Those victims to the coward that KOS will eventually adopt a similar state of mind due to repeated deaths upon communication attempts.

Then, they will likely put two and two together, and realize "Every time I try to communicate, I am shot. Every time I shoot on sight, I get loot. I should shoot on sight"

And then, the cycle rolls on. It takes a dedicated hero to break the cycle via interfering in the 1st or 2nd step. By killing bandits that KOS, the Hero can actually save victims later down the line. By showing care and caution to victims proceeding through the cycle at the point of becoming a KOSer, they can break the victim free of the KOS paranoia spell. But, once the person is a full fledged bandit at the 3rd stage, there is little to no hope of redemption.

It's a lot like an outbreak, or an infestation of termites in your home. You can stop the termites from ever getting in your house, which is the easiest. You can kill eliminate every termite with a bit more trouble if a small-medium amount of them successfully invade your house. But, once it's a full invasion, your house is screwed.

I personally shoot all known bandits on sight, and spare victims in the 2nd stage as often as possible while keeping myself safe. I don't mind dying and losing gear. I don't measure a life by zombie or player kills, or amounts of can openers looted. I measure a life by how many bandits I have eliminated in direct defense of myself or others, how many victims in the 2nd stage I have saved, and how many victims in the 1st stage I've saved.

A key of the stages if you dislike text walls:

1st stage: Has been killed on sight by bandits multiple times. Frustration is likely, and this very often spirals into 2nd or 3rd stage without the intervention and care of a dedicated hero.

2nd stage: Begins to KOS more, which increases the pool of 1st stage victims. Takes a dedicated and skilled hero to help, and a singular encounter may not eliminate the "bandit disease" in their playstyle.

3rd stage: A dedicated or full fledged bandit. They very likely will show no mercy, and should be eliminated on sight. While this only increases their rage towards KOS, thus increasing the KOS they will deliver on others, attempting to clean them of the "bandit disease" will be EXTREMELY hard.

This is essentially a codex I've made after teaming up with bandits (But not adopting their playstyle. I never killed on sight, or caused anyone to be killed by a bandit. I merely provided a companion for looting.),spying on bandits, meeting bandits or ex-bandits, and helping victims of banditry restore their faith in the DayZ community, and doing what I could to help them recover from the "bandit disease" as I've come to call it.

Edited by The Aquatic Land Walrus
  • Like 2

For third stage bandits or( the merciless ones) I typically don't kill them unless they're trying to kill me. If this happens I usually shoot them in the legs and knock them out, then bandage and fix them up etc(I don't morphine they're legs right away) then I take their ammo and or melee weapon. I try to talk sense into them usually getting cursed out or them disconnecting. One time though, I told the dude( who was geared to the teeth) that I should kill him since he tried to run me over with his car. He pleaded for me not to, so I took all his ammo( I usually hide it far away from where I left them) just to be sure he wouldn't try to run me over I shot out a tire. Dick move? Maybe. Safer because of it? Yes.

Well done bf33. By helping others in the way you are you instill hope in them, they think yeah, there are good players in this game, and continue on their way. It's us heroes that make changes in the world( the DayZ one at least ). Keep up the good work!

My guy has a bandit skin on because I killed three people who tried to kill me on sight, they fired first, I killed them. 

Though a lot of people will hate me for this, the above isn't a valid excuse.  You need to work hard to maintain a hero skin.  Sometimes this means dying and losing your gear.  My group (DayZ Knights) is currently all survivors and heroes (we had a few bandit skins before realizing the err of our ways).  We don't advertise that we're heroes or do-gooders, this is just how we like to play.  We'll still kill people in a fight.  However, we have to make judgement calls and decide when it's better to surrender and/or run rather than shoot back.  Also, and I can't stress this enough, being friendly or being a hero doesn't mean you have to make yourself vulnerable.  You don't have to walk up to people in plain sight and say "friendly".  And you certainly shouldn't expect to not get shot when you do so.

Our squad has been refining our ability to control situations.  We set up engagements so that we have the upper hand.  This is easier with a group but you can do it solo too (watch the early Frankie videos).  Hail people from out of sight.  Watch them.  Listen to their responses, and pay attention to their cadence (you can often tell when they're relaying stuff to people over TeamSpeak before responding to you).  If they're even a bit sketchy, slink away before they have a chance to do anything.  If you practice this and make it a point to never shoot at survivors (even in self defense) then you'll be successful as a hero.  Once you and your teammates have a decent amount of humanity, people will start turning into bandits when they attack and/or kill one of you.

Above all else, I'd say lose that bandit skin before you advertise yourselves as heroes.  Doesn't work to well.  There's a *reason* people don't trust bandits in DayZ.

• Like 2

It is gone. My bandit skin has turned into a survivor skin. While I am still learning how to be a hero, I am learning how to control my encounters. After my teammate got killed and I got my legs broken and left for dead(left bleeding out by a bandit) I have decided to not run out to help others in the open. I agree I need to watch from a distance, but they're are problems with that. When a new player is bleeding out in a building and doesn't know how to bandage it's us heroes that go in and save him, not sit back and talk to him hoping he knows how to respond. I agree and disagree. I think though, a lot of heroes should get together and hunt bandits on a server though, and help out when we can.

I can tell you what; There's less expierenced, less skilled players. Than there's more expierenced, more skilled players. If you run into a less skilled player, than you have a much easier time to be a "hero" and not kill this person or help them out because they require it. If you run into a more expierenced player that, say has everything he needs or doesn't even appreciate charity, good luck because you'll need it. I'm going to be totally honest. I KoS any player that is in my way, has something I want, or I think is a potential threat that can wipe me out should I drop my guard. I don't shoot unarmed, or a player who is not a threat to me because really, that's just less competition if I were to do that and what fun is DayZ without any competition? I don't recieve hero help; This is because I don't run into players that are more skilled than I am that are heros. The only time I die, is to other bandits who may have gotten the jump on me or a bandit that is more skilled than I am. Heros are only really heros if they are good enough to offer help. You aren't a "hero" if you just simply not shoot somebody on sight. I kill because I am skilled enough to; And don't say it requires more skill to be a hero. It doesn't. It requires more patience and more compassion. Towards the players I kill without them even knowing I was around before it's too late; I hold no compassion for them. They knew the risk they ran when they played this game. They decided to preform whatever choice they made to get in my cross hairs. Always be weary of bandits, and it isn't much of a problem. Besides, being a hero only hurts the community just as much as a bandit. What's the game without pvp? Zombies aren't a threat, so if you wipe out players being a threat, what's the point to the game? You need bandits like me. I don't like bandits that kill players that don't have anything, because THAT ruins the game. There would be no need for heros if there weren't bandits.

• Like 1

I ask people if they need help, not simply KOS.Heroes need bandits and bandits need heroes. Dayz does need that competition. It seems that everyone is a bandit nowadays and kills you even if you have nothing. We need true bandits, ones that hold you up and rarely kill you, not just "oh a new spawn" (kills new spawn on sight). We need actual competition, not just people who play it like cod.

I have run into many ass-hats and I have just been playing the game for the past few weeks. 

I am already immensely irritated at the amount of people that do KoS. It's disgusting because though this is a game, it really does paint a picture of what people would do in a real situation like this. In fact, in real life, I fear it might be even worse.

My policy: I use direct communication and clearly say "peaceful! Don't shoot! Peaceful!" when I see a player. If they are not AFK and I can tell they can hear me, I fire warning shots and defend myself. If they take out their gun / shoot, I obviously shoot them. If they ignore me and mind their own business, I ignore them, of course. I never KoS.

I have already had a few times where somebody made out to be peaceful just to shoot me in the back minutes later.

These people are either noobs with guns or just jerks looking for joy from other's pain.

Edited by angel_eyes42

I am already immensely irritated at the amount of people that do KoS. It's disgusting because though this is a game, it really does paint a picture of what people would do in a real situation like this. In fact, in real life, I fear it might be even worse.

Not too sure of that. Killing a human being is very contra-instinctual. Therefore many people will have doubts, bad feeling in the 'gut' or other forms of emotions preventing them from killing a person. Especially a survivor in a zombie apocalypse. 

A good example of this, in true warfare out of 10 soldiers being fired upon or given the order to fire, about 3 will actually fire or fire to kill. Some will not fire at all or just aim above the given target. The human anti-kill instinct is that strong. And these are trained and conditioned soldiers, not civilians who have no clue about a gun confrontational situation.

Not too sure of that. Killing a human being is very contra-instinctual. Therefore many people will have doubts, bad feeling in the 'gut' or other forms of emotions preventing them from killing a person. Especially a survivor in a zombie apocalypse. 

A good example of this, in true warfare out of 10 soldiers being fired upon or given the order to fire, about 3 will actually fire or fire to kill. Some will not fire at all or just aim above the given target. The human anti-kill instinct is that strong. And these are trained and conditioned soldiers, not civilians who have no clue about a gun confrontational situation.

Eh, I dunno. I was just saying that because at times in real life and in this game I feel like the world consists of nothing but ass holes. But I digress.

Interesting discussion topic.

Well the internet is a different world from 'the real' world were one feels safe in the comfort of his chair and anonimity. The laws of psychology and human behaviour don't apply like gravity differs at Jupiter and Earth. Unfortunetly, the internet - thus, online games are a attractive place for selfish, immature, aggresive, childish and anti-social behaviour since it goes unpunished. At least, far from what the consequences would if one was to behave such a way in 'the real world'.

So maybe its better to just  - accept - that there are d!ickheads out there, and always will be. The only thing we can do about it, is not being one yourself and behaving in such a way, that others feel inspired by our behaviour and change their ways. Like somebody once said in a certain video I can't remember "I'd rather die 99 times so I can save a survivor from bandits 1 time". That inspired me to strive becoming a hero.

Like people have said here already, a mans loot is his most valuable thing especially on modes such as Epoch. Especially with the mod it seems the military calibre of gear you can get is too fun not to use in my opinion. DMR's, M24's, Mk48 MOD 0's are all insane guns that are put in the game purely for the PVP aspect which is why its such a popular route to take. DMR's etc.. are way to overkill for just killing zombies or even AI and scream "GIVE ME MURDER!" at you. Whilst I don't condone DayZ servers being just outright deathmatch zones I think PvP is just a very rewarding aspect of the game compared to blood bagging people and helping them...

Needs to be a more persuasive reward system for carrying out heroic acts, why even bother when you can shoot a guy and take his stuff for yourself without any repercussions other than you can buy at the "hero trader"? Oh yeah, that's right because you can just kill more people and be more of an ass hole and then go to the "Bandit trader" instead :/