MLG420blazeit

Random sounds NEED to go.

They also need to remove the things like rustling bushes and sounds that resemble somebody climbing a chain link fence unless there's actually a player doing these actions...  (climbing fences taller than your waist is also needed).  I don't know about anybody else, but being desensitized to those sounds in a game that can be so incredibly immersive as this game, is not what I wanted.  I remember playing with my best friend closer to when the alpha was released and literally crawling everywhere even though the grass didn't render to give us concealment and flipping our shit when we heard sounds that sounded like a player could have made them.  I want THAT back.

The sounds being discussed here are NOT the ambient sounds of birds chirping, twigs snapping, or wire fences rattling. We are talking about random non-local sounds of soda cans, Zombies, combing ammo, reloads, etc.

Im sure its a net code issue and yeah you're probably hearing actual sounds but you shouldn't be. Its a bug. It needs to be fixed.

I agree with Darth and @Ether: I think while the player made sounds should be fixed, the random ambient noises - bush rustling, twig breaking, fence clinging - should be caused by other players ONLY. This will increase the tension when you're sneaking through a town and every door you open has a chance to creak, alerting people to your position.

Also to people saying it's ALPHA LOL... I know, but if you don't report things in ALPHA it'll never get fixed.

• Like 1

Sorry but 1-2 years is a hell of a long time in gaming, especially in this day and age where new hardware and games are being pumped out constantly. I would assume Dayz will be a dinosaur in two years. You should hope your estimation is wrong.

DayZ is the first of its kind as far as I'm concerned. And right now few games captivate my interest. New hardware doesn't mean more fun and content. Right now it means more graphics to show at e3 with generic gameplay.

Sound comes last. Hall confirmed it. Think if it like this…would it make sense to score a film then film it? When the film is done, the score is written. It's the process. The way I understand it is this: certan things need to be fixed first otherwise they would have to fix this sound issue several times over instead of doing it properly once. Therefore, to fix it now would be a waste of resources.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

Sound comes last. Hall confirmed it. Think if it like this…would it make sense to score a film then film it? When the film is done, the score is written. It's the process. The way I understand it is this: certan things need to be fixed first otherwise they would have to fix this sound issue several times over instead of doing it properly once. Therefore, to fix it now would be a waste of resources.

I'm pretty sure the non-local sound issue is a network/netcode problem, and thus is nothing like "scoring" a film..

Said it before, will say it again: sound is the number one thing that should be fixed imo. Random sounds really break immersion and spoil the creeping, stalking aspect of the game. In addition, the sound mechanics of gunshots are completely wack, two people standing next to each other can't ever agree on where they heard a nearby gunshot. One hears it one direction, the other in a different direction. More often than not one hears it and the other doesn't hear it at all. Imagine how many times neither of the people hears the shot?

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the non-local sound issue is a network/netcode problem, and thus is nothing like "scoring" a film..

It sounds like you are making an assumption on the source of the bug and its ease of fixing..  The developers have their hands full with other more important tasks.  The random sounds are not game-breaking, they just make you check your 6 every now and then.  Weyland Yutani said it best above. It would be a waste of time, money, and resources to fix a problem with a sound engine that is scheduled to be totally rewritten later on.

Perhaps another analogy to relate the issue.

Say you had an old car that you wanted to replace the transmission because it is at the end of it's life.

All of a sudden, the car won't go in 3rd gear anymore.

Would it make sense to replace 3rd gear or just buy a new transmission?

• Like 1

It sounds like you are making an assumption on the source of the bug and its ease of fixing..  The developers have their hands full with other more important tasks.  The random sounds are not game-breaking, they just make you check your 6 every now and then.  Weyland Yutani said it best above. It would be a waste of time, money, and resources to fix a problem with a sound engine that is scheduled to be totally rewritten later on.

Perhaps another analogy to relate the issue.

Say you had an old car that you wanted to replace the transmission because it is at the end of it's life.

All of a sudden, the car won't go in 3rd gear anymore.

Would it make sense to replace 3rd gear or just buy a new transmission?

No. I understand his reasoning, I just don't agree. It's netcode related because it only happens when other players are online and doing those "activities" which are causing the sounds.. opening a soda for example is announced to everyone in your network bubble rather than only those near-by. The problem will have to be fixed eventually. I never said it should be the #1 priority, but I sense a lot of downplaying from some of the people in this thread as to the severity of the issue. It is VERY annoying, VERY immersion breaking, and it IS game-breaking when you consider that part of the game is being aware of your surroundings. In a game based on zombies you should never "tune out" the sound of zombies, nor should you "tune out" the sound of ammo splitting when you may be killed at any second by someone who just split ammo to put it into a magazine.

It's a big problem. Stop downplaying it.

• Like 1

If you understand the reasoning, why do you persist on showing your disagreement?  It is planned to get fixed but it is currently not a priority.  Now I would agree with you if Rocket said he had no intentions of rewriting the sound engine but come on man, Rome wasn't built overnight!  B)

If you understand the reasoning, why do you persist on showing your disagreement?  It is planned to get fixed but it is currently not a priority.  Now I would agree with you if Rocket said he had no intentions of rewriting the sound engine but come on man, Rome wasn't built overnight!  B)

I disagree because it's not the sound engine and while I don't think it should be the #1 priority, I do think it should have been done by now. The Alpha has been out for over 6 months (almost 7) and it's been an issue since release day. Since it hasn't been fixed by now, I can only assume one of two things:

1. They don't know how to fix it.

2. They haven't looked into fixing it.

In either case, there's something wrong with that. I'm hoping that they ARE looking into fixing it and it's one of their next priorities along with the new engine they're working on. Just because the community is being vocal about a well known problem does not mean we're being unreasonable. I'd say after 6 months of a bug existing we have a right to start asking "Hey, when is this going to be addressed?"

If it was a "sound engine" problem it would exist in ARMA3, Arma2, DayZ mod, and other Arma mods. It doesn't. It only exist in Standalone. So it doesn't matter if they say they're rewriting the sound engine as that may or may not have anything to do with the non-local sound bug.

Yeah and the weird metal bangs that are made by metal sheds/houses. WTF are those anyway. Those sorts of sounds should be caused only by other players.

I think it's supposed to be the wind knocking a piece of metal against something or a creaking chain link fence or whatever.  Appropriate in the middle of town.  Not so much in the middle of nowhere.

The number of times I've jumped out of my skin at the sound of a coke being drunk only to find out it was a glitch sound...I'm guessing that the devs will fix this after the most glaring issues have been sorted.

After new patch the random sounds became almost non-existant (compared to what used to be before). I like it.

It's netcode related because it only happens when other players are online and doing those "activities" which are causing the sounds..

Not entirely true. This also happens when folks are logging in. We've payed a lot of attention to this over several months. We hear a sound…hit 'P' and like clockwork…someone is logging in.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

^ This.

You're not hearing random sounds, you're hearing every soda can, zombie agro etc. that happens on the server.

I'm not sure about this, because you will hear this is (nearly) empty servers.

The number of times I've jumped out of my skin at the sound of a coke being drunk only to find out it was a glitch sound...

i remember that one time that i stood in the middle of a forest .

suddenly i hear a soda can getting opend , and i thought great random sound bug 

still paranoia kicks in and a scan my surroundings just to see a guy 10m behind me looking in the wrong direktion 

i was so scared i shot him.

there where 7 players on that server .....

• Like 2