11tw

Panic

How about 'panicked'  and 'terrified' states? On top of this, if someone is indoors, lying down, and hasn't been attacked in a couple hours, then a 'calm' state.

The 'panicked' state could trigger faster running, but have the downside of clumsiness. In the case of reloading in particular, I know that dropping bullets when you are being chased by zombies would be likely.

Many reading this are thinking: 'that would suck! Don't want my stupid avatar screwing everything up for me!'. And on one level they are right, an avatar who has panic attacks would be annoying. But that is the point. Day Z is a lesson in suffering, and so realistic avatar reactions are key to the game. I for one find it annoying that my avatar can't run with broken legs. But that is because her legs are broken, and mine aren't. If I were there, I doubt I would be keen to run myself.

Keen to hear any comments, but if you say 'no' then please elaborate as to why.

The game aims to make you behind the screen panic.

That's the reason why the game became so popular,you are immersed.

Giving the avatar "panic mode" removes your control and subsequently kills immersion.

• Like 2

Giving the avatar "panic mode" removes your control and subsequently kills immersion.

Yes, but if I panic, then I won't drop bullets, or fail to open a door. I might freeze up, or freak out, but that won't affect the avatar's ability to load a gun if I do hit 'R'. Also, I run faster than I ever could when being chased, so I think the running thing is definitely watertight.

As for 'removing your control', sometimes panicky situations remove your control in real life. If you are genuinely terrified, you may vomit or fall unconscious for no reason. I am not suggesting this, as it would kill your avatar without it even being your fault, but this would force people to think about resting so that they can become calm and avoid panicking when attacked. So instead, how about a panic state which makes certain tasks slower, such as loading a gun, or bandaging yourself.

This would also curb 'deathmatching', as players' avatars would quickly freak out about all of the gunfire. This would mean that people would die much quicker due to participation, and therefore stop.

Edited by 11tw

Could always implement Red Orchestras step by step reloading, that way the player will make the mistake of forgetting.

I feel like this basically sums it up. DayZ has succeeded in its ability to have the controler really control their virtual survivor. Thats why people love DayZ. It is fully immersing without in-game skills, storyline, or inserts like panic, as you suggested.

i say no, because panic and clumsiness do not need to be simulated, they already naturally occur in game?

the player will panic and become clumsy when theyre in a bad situation, and if they dont, its because they are a more experienced player, and have learned to overcome the panic and clumsiness

i say no, because panic and clumsiness do not need to be simulated, they already naturally occur in game?

the player will panic and become clumsy when theyre in a bad situation, and if they dont, its because they are a more experienced player, and have learned to overcome the panic and clumsiness

yes, however that isn't experience the avatar should have. It is 'meta' experience, as you have learnt from previous encounters. At the end of the day, it is an argument of meta-experience (the player learns) or in-game experience (in which the character grows)

I say, why can't we have both? We will learn from every death, but a character who becomes more confident and effective over time would add to the immersion, rather than taking away.

Plus with all the bugs, wed end up.panic dropping everything and if we didnt have the heart attacks they added, the doors would do the job.

Im sniper, I dont have emotions  :P   btw, whatever makes you panic dosnt panic me so .... who decides what panic ppl ?

Im sniper, I dont have emotions  :P   btw, whatever makes you panic dosnt panic me so .... who decides what panic ppl ?

I think a zombie trying to eat your face sets most people on edge...

The idea would be that as you are attacked, chased, shot at etc. you become more panicked. Once you are indoors and standing still your panic goes down. Hot food, bandaging wounds, cleaning your rifle etc. causes you to become more calm. Once you are calm enough you get a 'calm' status, which makes it harder for you to get panicked next time you are in a combat situation.

p.s. the little book of calm might be a nice bit of loot. Reading it could lower your panic status.

No.