Sign in to follow this  
gaerteuth

More Immersive Notifications

Main Idea

I'm frankly taken out of the immersion when I see text pop up that says "I am hungry, I am thirsty" etc.

It's almost as if my character is whining to me.

I suggest more subtle, immersive notification that doesn't require a hud at all.

I'm talking of course, about sound. 

Hunger

When hungry, you will hear your stomach grumble.

Thirst

When thirsty, you will breathe through your mouth slowly, almost panting. Even if you're not sprinting.

Broken Legs

When your legs break, you will yell in extreme pain, and continue yelling for a few seconds and then calm down.

If you try to move, you will vocalize again and breathe in sharply.

Sick

When sick or poisoned, you will hear yourself gagging and trying to throw up.

Eventually, you WILL throw up.

Bleeding

You will inhale sharply and make small murmurs every so often. Your heart will softly pound and you will also hear drips of blood.

Wet

You will hear water droplets dripping off of yourself.

Edited by gaerteuth
  • Like 3

The only one that I find kind of... "off" is the thirst one, to be honest. Because if the sound comes up and the person is running, they wouldn't notice it. Maybe work on the idea a bit more.

Now, the rest, I think that it'd be cool. Although we should still have the little bars in the inventory so if someone can't hear sounds for some reason, maybe the game is bugged or they don't have a good headset, they know if they are hungry, thirsty, bleeding, etc.

Hunger

Yes, you're right. But in real life you can also FEEL grumbling. And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

Thirst

When thirsty, you will breathe through your mouth slowly, almost panting. Even if you're not sprinting.

Yes, you're right. But in real life you can also FEEL that your thirsty (dry mouth, being tired and overheated etc). And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

Sick

Yes, you're right. But in real life you can also FEEL that something is going on in your stomach/colons. And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

Bleeding

You will inhale sharply and make small murmurs every so often. Your heart will softly pound and you will also hear drips of blood.

Yes, you're right. But in real life you can also FEEL heat and pain and itching/burning sensation around the wound. And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

Wet

I don't know what kind of echolocation-batman-super-uber-hearing you've got, but there's no chance I will hear droplets dripping off my body. But for sure I can tell you, that I will FELL them on my skin and I will feel weight of wet clothes on me. And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

Broken Legs

When your legs break, you will yell in extreme pain, and continue yelling for a few seconds and then calm down.

This is the only part here where I could agree with you. But still, you could FEEL that your leg is broken. And since you cannot feel blah blah blah...

Edited by yogi92

Yes, you're right. But in real life you can also FEEL grumbling. And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

Yes, you're right. But in real life you can also FEEL that your thirsty (dry mouth, being tired and overheated etc). And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

Yes, you're right. But in real life you can also FEEL that something is going on in your stomach/colons. And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

Yes, you're right. But in real life you can also FEEL heat and pain and itching/burning sensation around the wound. And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

I don't know what kind of echolocation-batman-super-uber-hearing you've got, but there's no chance I will hear droplets dripping off my body. But for sure I can tell you, that I will FELL them on my skin and I will feel weight of wet clothes on me. And since you cannot feel in the game, we have text notifications.

This is the only part here where I could agree with you. But still, you could FEEL that your leg is broken. And since you cannot feel blah blah blah...

We don't feel things by reading. It breaks more immersion than it gives.

We don't feel things by reading. It breaks more immersion than it gives.

It's a game, we have to accept some degree of anti-realism narration.

And as it was said before, many times you won't even hear those sounds, for instance if your talking to somebody or if your in a gun fight. Therefore it's better to have a text notification, rather than not having a clue what's going on with your body.

It's a game, we have to accept some degree of anti-realism narration.

And as it was said before, many times you won't even hear those sounds, for instance if your talking to somebody or if your in a gun fight. Therefore it's better to have a text notification, rather than not having a clue what's going on with your body.

You forget that you can still check your status in the inventory screen. My suggestion does not get rid of that. All it gets rid of is the constant text updates and replaces them with sounds. If you hear a sound, you're prompted to check the inventory screen, and any sounds you may have missed will show up there anyhow.

You forget that you can still check your status in the inventory screen. My suggestion does not get rid of that. All it gets rid of is the constant text updates and replaces them with sounds. If you hear a sound, you're prompted to check the inventory screen, and any sounds you may have missed will show up there anyhow.

But it breaks the immersion to make me look into my backpack or pockets to check if my stomach hurts....

This is a tricky topic. If we make the sounds too overbearing, it's annoying. Right now, I think text works. As long as it describes the inner monologue of the person, then that is fine.

Main Idea

I'm frankly taken out of the immersion when I see text pop up that says "I am hungry, I am thirsty" etc.

It's almost as if my character is whining to me.

I suggest more subtle, immersive notification that doesn't require a hud at all.

I'm talking of course, about sound. 

Hunger

Thirst

Broken Legs

Sick

Bleeding

Wet

how you know that ? btw my stomach doesnt grumble when im hungry