Yuval

Old vs. New players in DayZ Standalone

Old vs. New players  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these groups do you fit in?

• DayZ mod players
    • Not DayZ mod players
    • I just prefer playing Uni cards game! (For the trollers among us)

I wonder how many players play DayZ SA because they played the DayZ Mod for ArmA II, and how many started playing it without ever playing the arma 2 mod.

If never played the mod please tell how did you get to know the game?

Edited by StanleyWasHappy

Played the mod. Had to wait until I have the money to spare, before buying into what is a VERY early access.

Can't wait until the game reaches the feature status of the mod. But what improvements over the mod are in so far is quite nice.

Hope my money helps the team to reach the full potential of the game.

This post HERE on a sim forum back on May 12th 2012. The guy who posted it is a pretty serious simmer so it piqued my interest. Notice even at that early stage this was said about it...

1.) It's an Alpha. If you want a polished, finished experience, wait for the release version.
2.) You WILL get killed. Especially if you enter one of the "PvP hotspots"
3.) No, it's not fair. You might play for hours, finding great equipment only to get killed by some dude for a can of beans. Or teh lolz.
4.) there's no campaign missions, no cinematics, no achievements and no sex with aliens.
5.) it's a zombie survival sandbox. Create your own story.
6.) the game takes time. This is no Call of Duty. Simply travelling the map will take time.
7.) the servers currently are hammered by a massive influx of new players. Be patient.

The zombies are just an obstacle, people are the real threat. Day Z is absolutely amazing

• Like 1

never played the mod, have always hated fps games because there is no penalty for dieing. Heard about this game while playing warthunder with some other guys. Thought it had a elament that  other games didnt have. Gave it a try and loved it.

played the mod since the 2nd week it was out.

Miss the mods feel.

I started off from playing the mod some time last year, although I knew about DayZ at least a year before, watching a couple of videos on it at the time. I later bought the Standalone on the first day of release via Steam.

I remember the exact moment I fell inlove with DayZ mod back in 2013 or 2012 when frankieonpc released Ep. 28 - "The Cure". I fell inlove with that game, back then I only thought that games only feature 100m x 100m maps and that computers couldn't handle more than that (LOL). I watched all of frankie's episodes and bought the game. I bought DayZ SA in it's first 20 minutes of release on steam, I remember myself running around kamenka military base, finding 20 M4s around but never found a single 556 bullet. Haha you would see 5 players with empty M4s on their back killing each other with Firefighter Axes.

DayZ isn't half way done and there are already funny memories :)

played the mod since the 2nd week it was out.

Miss the mods feel.

I don't understand why you love the mod so much more than the standalone (especially considering you can still play the mod). There were some things about it that were more refined than the standalone, but most of them were simply there because they were taken directly from ArmA 2 and didn't necessarily tie in well with DayZ. You're a pro-claimant for realistic firearms, but most of the mod's weapon aspects were far worse than the standalone's. The lack of an attachment system to begin with (And thus weirdly having around 8 M4 variants to compensate), the lack of environmental factors, the overall poorer weapon choice (most of the weapons were not fitting and played the same), etc.

The dispersion of weapons and unrealism with a few of the attachments (mainly them affecting things they should not, and some attachments that aren't easily compatible working on weapons) are problems, but the fact that there is a working and modular attachment system, the fact that there is a hugely expanded melee list, the fact that objects such as arrows and bolts have physics, the 3D scopes, and ammunition is hand-loaded and can be separated (not to mention magazines that actually show up), all add up to the fact of better weaponry in the standalone. The gunplay itself might be off, but correcting it is a relatively simple process. The leaps of things such as individual bullets & modular attachments were not available in the mod and couldn't be done (technically attachment systems can work, but it's a hugely tedious process and involves a lot of scripting and individual weapon variants)

Never played mod.

Watched tons of vids.

Bought the SA.

Didn't play mod. A friend let me try out this new game he got on his pc and i liked it.

Those that never played the mod do yourself a favor and give it a shot.

Most of the aspects in dayz stand alone are indeed better but it is the subtle things in the mod that are more realistic that just make it a better game.

The subtle things like pvp being substantially better, the game feeling far more consistent and tiny tiny things like accesing your inventory is risk reward decision since you cant move while you access it.