Sign in to follow this  
KingofTheWorld

Dead Bodies Should Not Disappear

Once persistent objects are added hopefully the bury option is removed and bodies stay in game for hopefully atleast several restart cycles.

What would be nice is bringing back that scary flies buzzing sound and then having different models for the bodies in different states of decomposing.

Having bodies that stay in game for long periods of time especially once dragging bodies is added would have lots of gameplay implications.

Imagine using a body as bait in the middle of the road.

• Like 1

i actually agree, don't even like how you can hide bodies at all but it's not nearly as bad as them disappearing after 10-15 mins on their own.... quite lame. i would like to use the bodies as bait!

i look forward to when bodies don't disappear on their own, it's annoying when the loot is wasted.

i look forward to when bodies don't disappear on their own, it's annoying when the loot is wasted.

Merged

I would prefer they got up and turned in to zombies, then there's a reason for a different type of zombie.

They could be slow but resistant to all but headshots(classic zombie) whereas the current infected are fast but fairly weak.

As long as some spawned on their own I think it would be great, especially if the ones that used to be players looked the same.

Like if we get armbands to distinguish team mates, imagine finding a zombie with the same yellow armband as your clan...no! JIMMY!!!!

Anyway yeah that would be the best reason for more than one type of zombie without getting silly. It could just work like Walking Dead where everyone is infected and only become a zombie when they die.

But the survivors we play as are immune to it until death so they don't become runners.

Nothing wrong with that, would add nice variety.

I would prefer they got up and turned in to zombies, then there's a reason for a different type of zombie.

They could be slow but resistant to all but headshots(classic zombie) whereas the current infected are fast but fairly weak.

As long as some spawned on their own I think it would be great, especially if the ones that used to be players looked the same.

Like if we get armbands to distinguish team mates, imagine finding a zombie with the same yellow armband as your clan...no! JIMMY!!!!

Anyway yeah that would be the best reason for more than one type of zombie without getting silly. It could just work like Walking Dead where everyone is infected and only become a zombie when they die.

But the survivors we play as are immune to it until death so they don't become runners.

Nothing wrong with that, would add nice variety.

hmmm im not sure about that, so you're saying if you don't loot the dead body before they turn, the zombie would be geared and you have to kill it to get the gear from it? interesting concept.....but think id rather use the dead body as bait for other survivors.

Edited by Reg Park

Well then lets leave that option... Peoples dont wanna see body disappearing suddenly when select hide body option. We should able to carry, burn or bury and as I said if nobody does not nothing skeletons will left on ground. If still nobody does not nothing just skeleton will get dust and left special stain on ground.

I'm with you on carrying a body and then dig a hole with as hovel. 

Edit:

There is a reason the body's dissapear at the moment.

The way a 3D model works is by having a mesh (the model itself) a shader (video card code) and a material (material reads the uv and links the code tot he model).

All the zombies use one material and thus all the skins exist on one single UV map (texture), this means that the video card only gets one request for every single zombie and thus can draw all the zombies at one time.

The players however are different, they are not vast, they are dynamic, every single object on the player has a different material, maybe the items are on one texture, but the players body, clothing, other items, all have different materials. This means to draw a player, the video card will get around 5 to 12 drawcalls depending on the equipment you have got.

Now imagine the performance hit if not a single body of a dead player de-spawned, but stayed on the map, after 2 to 3 hours this would already mean hundreds of dead body's, lets say 200 dead body's on the map, multiply that by the average drawcall of 8, that is 1600 drawcalls (objects the video card has to draw) every single frame. Now keep in mind this is only the dead body's! then there is all the other stuff that needs to be drawn, trees, alive players (40*8 drawcalls) + the cpu has to place all the objects, calculate all kinds of other things.

At this moment the impact is just to big. 

The only way they should be able to manage this is to let the current player despawn and replace it with a generic model (a rotten body maybe?) this way if all dead players end up looking the same, everything can be put in one drawcall again and it would be possible to keep the dead players around.

Edited by Mark Darkers

I just don't want the loot to go to waste, and like to know where players have died. If the bodies rot that is fine, just still have the loot on the rotten body.

What if the zombies would never die, they would just rise up after awhile and continue their everyday business. Unless somebody burns the body so server can get rid of it.

• Like 1

What if the zombies would never die, they would just rise up after awhile and continue their everyday business. Unless somebody burns the body so server can get rid of it.

The thing is in DayZ they are not undead, but normal people that suffer from a disease or parasite that alters the metabolism and the behaviour. Similar to the Ophiocordyceps unilateralis fungus I suppose.

This means that when they are severely injured, this leads to hypovolemia and the heart stopping as would be the case with any other healthy person. 

What I would like to see though, is that when you knocked them properly on the head twice with a baseball-bat, they need a little longer to get their bearings than the first time.

"carry / dragging will be added later, and skeletons? really? that makes no sense at all.

also a good idea by someone was to leave the body on the ground in stead of it disappearing, birds come and eat the body and slowly ruins the gear."

Actually this would be really awesome! Imagine a lonely survivor walking over one of those main-roads on the coast. Suddenly there is a dead body on the ground, birds fly around it. Crows (?) or whatever. The lonely survivor pulls his gun or run towards the birds or whatever, trying to get them away from the dead body. Awesome.

Actually this would be really awesome! Imagine a lonely survivor walking over one of those main-roads on the coast. Suddenly there is a dead body on the ground, birds fly around it. Crows (?) or whatever. The lonely survivor pulls his gun or run towards the birds or whatever, trying to get them away from the dead body. Awesome.

Then, he decides to do the only thing any decent person would do in this situation. He pulls out his spade or whatever. Then he spends some time digging a deep hole where he places the body of the unfortunatey man. Although he doesn't know whether to believe in God in a world gone to shit like this one has, he thinks it only right so say a little prayer or whatever. Suddenly another player wearing nothing but underwear and a pilot helmet bursts out the bushes unloading 10 SKS shots into the lonely survivor. 

Whatever.

Then, he decides to do the only thing any decent person would do in this situation. He pulls out his spade or whatever. Then he spends some time digging a deep hole where he places the body of the unfortunatey man. Although he doesn't know whether to believe in God in a world gone to shit like this one has, he thinks it only right so say a little prayer or whatever. Suddenly another player wearing nothing but underwear and a pilot helmet bursts out the bushes unloading 10 SKS shots into the lonely survivor. 

Whatever.

You left out the end of the story:  lonely survivor respawns, now convinced that KoS is the only way to play.  The End (of the survival genre).

• Like 1

I just don't want the loot to go to waste, and like to know where players have died. If the bodies rot that is fine, just still have the loot on the rotten body.

Loot has to exit the system at some point otherwise, with loot spawning we will get more and more things until we are basically swimming in them.

crows eating dead bodies is a nice idea , also the flies getting on a dead body after certain period after the death.But to be honest persistent bodies will make this game even laggier than it is.

Edit:

The way a 3D model works is by having a mesh (the model itself) a shader (video card code) and a material (material reads the uv and links the code tot he model).

All the zombies use one material and thus all the skins exist on one single UV map (texture), this means that the video card only gets one request for every single zombie and thus can draw all the zombies at one time.

The players however are different, they are not vast, they are dynamic, every single object on the player has a different material, maybe the items are on one texture, but the players body, clothing, other items, all have different materials. This means to draw a player, the video card will get around 5 to 12 drawcalls depending on the equipment you have got.

Now imagine the performance hit if not a single body of a dead player de-spawned, but stayed on the map, after 2 to 3 hours this would already mean hundreds of dead body's, lets say 200 dead body's on the map, multiply that by the average drawcall of 8, that is 1600 drawcalls (objects the video card has to draw) every single frame. Now keep in mind this is only the dead body's! then there is all the other stuff that needs to be drawn, trees, alive players (40*8 drawcalls) + the cpu has to place all the objects, calculate all kinds of other things.

The only way they should be able to manage this is to let the current player despawn and replace it with a generic model (a rotten body maybe?) this way if all dead players end up looking the same, everything can be put in one drawcall again and it would be possible to keep the dead players around.

correct me if i'm wrong, but in the mod (even before SA was out) didn't bodies last until server restart? also weren't there far more zombies in the mod compared to stand alone? seems like the load of the mod was equal to, if not more, than stand alone.

If that were the case, my Mountain would be scary to come to, more than it already is. I think we should be able to move bodies and hang them up or take apart the bodies and place them, cut them in pieces and play with corpses.

Edit:

correct me if i'm wrong, but in the mod (even before SA was out) didn't bodies last until server restart? also weren't there far more zombies in the mod compared to stand alone? seems like the load of the mod was equal to, if not more, than stand alone.

Why do you quote without typing anything?

Why do you quote without typing anything?

oops messed up the quote, my bad. 

was what i meant to say, sorry

oops messed up the quote, my bad. 

was what i meant to say, sorry

Yes, yes and yes.

-The reason why the body's disappear now is because in the mod each body only contained 1 drawcall, so it was not heavy at all to leave them by, but in the SA the body's have more drawcalls (remember each port  of clothing and gear carries its own drawcall) and the load would at the moment be to big to leave them all to restart.

-Then the reason for more zombies in the mod then SA. In the SA the zombies had a new AI made from scratch (wich did not work at all and is now reworked with NavMesh) and was to demanding on the server's performance. Keep in mind allot of new systems have been included in the standalone and thus the server has not as much free performance space as it did in the mod for the AI, so limiting the zombies is the best for now to keep the frame rate stable. Once the new AI comes in with the NavMesh we will see the numbers go up, as pathfinding will take little to no resources in contrast to now.

-The load of the mod was only more because it depended on extra scripts that arma had to read and configure itself to, the reason it ran a little bit better is because: A) Arma 2 only featured low to medium res textures if you did not have the expansion packs and B) zombies and items only spawned if a player was within 100 - 200 meters close to a town, in the standalone everything is always in the world, but only rendered within 3 km. That is why they are putting so much time in server optimization, new and better netcode and new systems that do the same for less performance.

I hope this answers your questions.