2gunz

Is Dayz standalone even relevant anymore?

Dayz Standalone is as relevant as any mid priced video game.  It is however fabulously fun, different, and cool.

It's relevant to bohemia who are making shit loads of money out of it.

Personally I've gone back to the mod because it's ten times better at the moment.

Maybe the SA will be worth the price tag in the future, but somehow I don't think it'll turn out the way fans of the mod wanted it to.

I don't find the mod better.  Just different.  

The mod is much more gun heavy.  I like standalone because it at least gives a vague look at the survival mechanic.

That mechanic will get better as time passes.

Gamers are nuts. It seems like some of you guys expect to get 1,000,000 hours worth of entertainment from a game for less than the cost of a gallon of gas.

Woah, 5 month old movies cost 30 dollars where your from? That's crazy.

I can't tell if you're intentionally being dense or not, but the point is that you can pay $30 for The Hobbit, or pay $30 for DayZ SA (right now). The hobbit has a run time of close to 3 hours I think, so you're paying $10/hr roughly (for the first time you watch it). I have 100 some hours invested in DayZ, for which I've paid $30, which comes out to about $.30/hr. Some people have over 500 hours, so the value just keeps getting better and better.

The Zombies are easier and less than on DayZ, you can buy yourself tanks, weapons, gunships and RPG's at vendors.

I don't think any of that is in line with the thought of having a Zombie-Apocalypse-Survival-Game. Infact, I can't think of anything in Epoch, that has enhanced the feel or the world of DayZ.

Not even the basebuilding, as it's all about building massive skybases made from concrete and steel - how'd that work out in an apocalypse?

Alright, Just by reading that opinion I can tell that you have no clue what Epoch really is. Do some servers have tanks and gunships? Yes, those are called "Militarized" Servers. However, you will find the vast majority of Epoch servers only have Vodniks or Humvees as the most powerful vehicles, and you will find almost none of them have RPG's. Also, Sky bases? Are you kidding? There is a thing called base maintenance and you cannot have gigantic bases, it is impossible to maintain because your base will disappear if you can't maintain all of it. I know many more people who like Epoch better than regular Dayz, simply because it offers more. With AI Island and Missions, the game is made sure to never get boring, as you keep raiding missions and competing with other clans, and base raiding is also the best aspect of the game. It sounds to me like you are completely ignorant of Epoch and have no clue what the actual game is. I am not being disrespectful to a mod, it just irritates me when someone who has no clue about a topic tries to shunt their ignorance in front of everyone else. 

Gamers are nuts. It seems like some of you guys expect to get 1,000,000 hours worth of entertainment from a game for less than the cost of a gallon of gas.

I can't tell if you're intentionally being dense or not, but the point is that you can pay $30 for The Hobbit, or pay $30 for DayZ SA (right now). The hobbit has a run time of close to 3 hours I think, so you're paying $10/hr roughly (for the first time you watch it). I have 100 some hours invested in DayZ, for which I've paid $30, which comes out to about $.30/hr. Some people have over 500 hours, so the value just keeps getting better and better.

Implying a movie is in any way similar to software of any kind in comparison of value and profit, both in the cost of producing it, and creating a finished product... Maybe compare it to something else that makes more sense? I work in software dev. And when me and other devs and execs are alpha testing, negative opinions are far more important that positive ones when it comes to working out bugs and releasing a satisfactory product for our clients, and their customers, Who,

more often than not, are paying a decent sum for the software we produce. But we don't develop games, and we NEVER release an alpha to be tested by the public, for numerous reasons, but I understand why a video game would.

I am not being disrespectful to a mod, it just irritates me when someone who has no clue about a topic tries to shunt their ignorance in front of everyone else. 

You are just completely missing the point. It's about the fact that you can buy yourself an infinite supply of buildingmaterials in the first place and then be able to build yourselves massive cinderblockwalls and steel ceilings with it.

Whilst I understand that it might be appealing for some people and acknowledge the fact that it might even be fun I still do not see the connection to DayZ at any point. Other than using the basecode of DayZ and reducing the Zombie-Count they have absolutely nothing in common with what DayZ and its environment is supposed to emulate.

This would be: harsh environment, scarcity, lootscavenging. All of which is defeated by Epoch's features.

• Like 5

You are just completely missing the point. It's about the fact that you can buy yourself an infinite supply of buildingmaterials in the first place and then be able to build yourselves massive cinderblockwalls and steel ceilings with it.

Whilst I understand that it might be appealing for some people and acknowledge the fact that it might even be fun I still do not see the connection to DayZ at any point. Other than using the basecode of DayZ and reducing the Zombie-Count they have absolutely nothing in common with what DayZ and its environment is supposed to emulate.

This would be: harsh environment, scarcity, lootscavenging. All of which is defeated by Epoch's features.

Setting up a base in Epoch is extremely time consuming, and you cannot buy infinite building materials, as traders have stock. I also find an excitement in spending a lot of time earning gold and then putting it all to use in buying a small car or a cool gun that I wanted. Trust me, it is not easy to get gold in most servers. Just by doing missions alone, there is a 4/5 chance you will get either slaughtered by the AI or killed by another player attempting the same mission. It is very high risk in everything that you do, and losing your epoch character is actually worse than losing your Dayz character, because your epoch character has all the keys to your stuff, and there is an extremely little chance you are going to get them back. In many ways, epoch is much more harsh than Dayz. You can spend weeks preparing a base only for it to be raided and all your vehicles destroyed. I get much more angrier when losing a vehicle that I bought than when losing all my gear on a Dayz character.

Ughhh... You people.

Here is a thought, none of the mods are very good, just throwing that out there. None of them (and I've played all the popular ones), not a single survival game in the pack. There is one decent attempt that was never really finished (Vanilla), a bunch of decent attempts that nobody ever played (2017, DayZero) and a bunch of PvP f*ckfests (or in the case of both Epochs, horder-fests).

The inventory system in every single one is garbage, the mechanics for food/hunger/disease/weather/zombies in every single one is merely passable at best and in the long run they're all going to stay that way because they're all hacked together jobs that are forced to work within the confines of Arma2/3.

The only people who think any of the mods will in the long run outdo the standalone are A. Looking for a completely different game than DayZ in the first place (They want a PvP f*ckfest) B. Really caught up in the whole "Some idiot on the internet said this game is crap and won't ever be finished. I'm too stupid to have my own opinions, so I'll just go along with them" bullshit that seems to plague every game that is an early access alpha at the moment. Seriously, go check out the forums for games like Rust, or StarBound, or hell; even Kerbal Space Program. All full of the same type of idiot sh*tting on 'em because they're still in alpha.

These people are just too stupid for Early Access Alpha, that is the long and the short of it. They're cynical idiots, who are too damn foolish and egotistical to even understand that they have no idea what they're talking about. The bullsh*t part of the whole process is when they're eventually playing the release along with everyone else they'll never be called on the stupid crap they said and will be free go on to sh*t on something else with the rest of the bandwagon. Such is the internet, people are allowed to have the most idiotic opinions that you think humans could possibly be capable of and then when they're proven absolutely wrong they can just disappear without being called to task for the proceeding twelve months of idiocy.

• Like 7

Ughhh... You people.

Harsh and not exactly on topic... but so much true!

Epoch is nothing like DayZ. I like playing DayZ, so I will play DayZ. If I want to play Epoch I will play Epoch and DayZ. Why does there always have to be a winner?

• Like 2

Implying a movie is in any way similar to software of any kind in comparison of value and profit, both in the cost of producing it, and creating a finished product... Maybe compare it to something else that makes more sense? I work in software dev. And when me and other devs and execs are alpha testing, negative opinions are far more important that positive ones when it comes to working out bugs and releasing a satisfactory product for our clients, and their customers, Who,

more often than not, are paying a decent sum for the software we produce. But we don't develop games, and we NEVER release an alpha to be tested by the public, for numerous reasons, but I understand why a video game would.

The movie analogy was referring to the amount of money you pay for something vs. the time you invest in it. I agree it's not a perfect analogy or concept, but that's what I was trying to show.

Negative opinions are one thing and I definitely agree with you on their importance, but there's a difference between a negative - but constructive - opinion, and the continuous bitchfests that is prevalent on forums like this one. 

I loved playing a woods-dwelling lone wolf in the Mod. Survival was difficult (pure Vanilla servers - no shonky loot tables or 1 million vehicles) and I avoided other players and the larger towns/cities unless my character needed medical supplies.

My initial hope was that the SA as released in Alpha would be the vanilla Mod without hacking. I expected very little of the engine's issues to be fixed out of the gate and also expected some new problems because of the framework overhaul.

Currently, I'm taking a break from the SA as surviving is not a challenge unless you get rubber-banded into a group of heat-sealing, teleporting zombies. As all player interaction is KoS, even when unarmed and backing away while communicating over Direct, I usually get bored of sitting in the woods all geared up with 50 cans of beans and go hunting people. Which I'm very bad at.

My long-term hope is that the SA makes PVE survival even more of a challenge and fixes all the serious issues the Mod had without a PVP fest with 1 million different guns and helicopters.

Like many of you I fell in love with Dayz mod.

And like many of you I rushed out and got the alpha.

Needless to say it was a huge letdown on almost every front.  (Please save the "its alpha" speech its been said over and over again. And I, like you, I am entitled to my Opionion and expectations)

My question to you is this.

When and if Dayz standalone becomes a retail release, will it actually still be relavant vs other games of its type?

Daymod was groundbreaking, exciting and all the things that make you not sleep and keep you running back for more.

Since the time that Dayzmod got old and I couldnt stomach playing Dayz Standone Ive moved on to other mods.

Ive spent countless hours playing Overwatch and Epoch both of which have taken Dayz to a different level.

Epoch in particular on a number of levels to me is a "better" game than Dayzmod. It lacks much of the survivalist aspect for sure, but kills it in the not so

boring department.  Dont get me wrong I love the Eat bark and hide in the woods bit, but I can only take so much.

At this point I kinda feel like the time for Day Standalone has come and gone. And my concern is that when it gets done its just going to be to much of "been there done that".

Arma 3  Epoch is coming out soon and it looks insane. And it is just one of the MANY games that might make Dayz standalone look like your grandmas game.

And for those that havent played Epoch, you should.

Arma 3 epoch is in beta.  Here is the link for a video.  It doesnt give up much, but given that the Epoch guys have done so much with so little in arma II, I think this version will be awesome.

So will Dayz standalone be to little to late?  Thoughts?

Oh geez, I swear people will NEVER stop comparing an easy to make mod to full built from scratch games, huh? Arma III Epoch will not make DayZ look imprudent or empty. Epoch is NOTHING to DayZ and quite frankly is a different category compared to DayZ.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 1

Oh geez, I swear people will NEVER stop comparing an easy to make mod to full built from scratch games, huh? Arma III Epoch will not make DayZ look imprudent or empty. Epoch is NOTHING to DayZ and quite frankly is a different category compared to DayZ.

Epoch doesn't even deserve to have DayZ be in it's name

• Like 1

Epoch doesn't even deserve to have DayZ be in it's name

And your right, it doesn't. Because it's objective is way different.

The movie analogy was referring to the amount of money you pay for something vs. the time you invest in it. I agree it's not a perfect analogy or concept, but that's what I was trying to show.

Negative opinions are one thing and I definitely agree with you on their importance, but there's a difference between a negative - but constructive - opinion, and the continuous bitchfests that is prevalent on forums like this one.

I understand where the analogy fits in, but In my opinion, you can't compare those 2 simple details in a way that makes sense without first including the amount of money it costs to make, etc etc, because in that respect I can literally compare any 2 things and pick and choose the areas I'm comparing to make sense of my point.

And your right, but half the time the person has a legitimate problem with certain features, the outcome of development, or the lack of development in certain areas. And some still get flamed on for their opinions, even after they word it in a very reasonable way.

Hell even I get frustrated testing MY OWN software and express my concern to my dev team. Lack of progress, progress to a place that isn't good, etc ARE valid concerns, and should be treated as such. When they aren't flaming of corse.

I apologise in advance for the following, but this is an alpha. This game isn't finished. The mod, though subject to change, was basically finished upon release. However, I have to agree that at this stage, the mods are more entertaining.

I suggest returning to SA once some interesting features are added

Easy to make MOD? Even back in the beginning of the mod it was portrait  as the hardest thing ever to build (due to the engine) and lived in alpha for years (And it still lives in alpha http://dayzmod.com/). So if the track record continues. I'm guessing 2-3 years for completion of SA, at best. Alpha is a sad and  pathetic excuse.Sorry if Boneboys locks the thread he has an issue with me.

Epoch has made a name for itself due to community support/updates. Not some BS hunt for info from around the web. I don't play the game (epoch) but I follow it. Just like I follow the stomping ground it was made on 200k budget and by one man and still delivers more than a 60 million dollar surplus game like dayz.

Edited by Solus

Like many of you I fell in love with Dayz mod.

And like many of you I rushed out and got the alpha.

Needless to say it was a huge letdown on almost every front.  (Please save the "its alpha" speech its been said over and over again. And I, like you, I am entitled to my Opionion and expectations)

My question to you is this.

When and if Dayz standalone becomes a retail release, will it actually still be relavant vs other games of its type?

Daymod was groundbreaking, exciting and all the things that make you not sleep and keep you running back for more.

Since the time that Dayzmod got old and I couldnt stomach playing Dayz Standone Ive moved on to other mods.

Ive spent countless hours playing Overwatch and Epoch both of which have taken Dayz to a different level.

Epoch in particular on a number of levels to me is a "better" game than Dayzmod. It lacks much of the survivalist aspect for sure, but kills it in the not so

boring department.  Dont get me wrong I love the Eat bark and hide in the woods bit, but I can only take so much.

At this point I kinda feel like the time for Day Standalone has come and gone. And my concern is that when it gets done its just going to be to much of "been there done that".

Arma 3  Epoch is coming out soon and it looks insane. And it is just one of the MANY games that might make Dayz standalone look like your grandmas game.

And for those that havent played Epoch, you should.

Arma 3 epoch is in beta.  Here is the link for a video.  It doesnt give up much, but given that the Epoch guys have done so much with so little in arma II, I think this version will be awesome.

So will Dayz standalone be to little to late?  Thoughts?

"It's Alpha" is a valid excuse. 

"It's Alpha" is a valid excuse. 

Like I said look at the mod that is still alpha its a cough out.

Edited by Solus

Like I said look at the mod that is still alpha its a cough out.

They had to make an entire engine, this time around. That's the difference. The engine is also in alpha. Naturally, it's a whole lot easier to build upon an existing engine than building one yourself and expanding on it from there. Cars were already there for the mod. Same for the movement system, weapons, ballistics, etc. You really should appreciate that the mod was a breeze compared to SA. And even the mod wasn't an easy task...

They had to make an entire engine, this time around. That's the difference. The engine is also in alpha. Naturally, it's a whole lot easier to build upon an existing engine than building one yourself and expanding on it from there. Cars were already there for the mod. Same for the movement system, weapons, ballistics, etc. You really should appreciate that the mod was a breeze compared to SA. And even the mod wasn't an easy task...

No they took an engine and cut out unnecessary parts and no that doesn't make it alpha. Its a Pre built engine that they hacked and slashed,. Not alpha it has been used many times. If they don't know it by now that's sad. A breeze? Is horse shit its taking them forever to fix core aspects of the game. Progress is lacking add the budget they have its pathetic.