2gunz

Is Dayz standalone even relevant anymore?

Stop the Alpha shit please. One man created Stomping Grounds on 200k budget. For hell sake the forest is at the same level. This game is lacking.

• Like 1

No they took an engine and cut out unnecessary parts and no that doesn't make it alpha. Its a Pre built engine that they hacked and slashed,. Not alpha it has been used many times. If they don't know it by now that's sad. A breeze? Is horse shit its taking them forever to fix core aspects of the game. Progress is lacking add the budget they have its pathetic.

There is no engine like SA's engine. It looks like A2 in terms of graphics and that's it. Vehicles, weapons, the entire movement system, ballistics, the inventory system, the clothing system. All is different to both A3 and A2. Maybe the graphics were taken from an existing engine, but that's hardly enough to say that it's just an existing engine minus unnecessary things. I'll tell you right now, that it most certainly took lots of work to build the engine. Work that needn't be spent on a mod. It's ridiculous to say that creating an entire game takes the same effort as making a mod.

what the fuck does that question even mean, is it relevant?

Relevant to what?

Do you like playing it? yes? play it.  No? then don't.

this isn't some popularity contest.

It'll always be, since this won't be a watered down mainstream game, but rather an anti-game which focuses on realism. The rest won't do this due to their goal of max revenue. That's my view on it, anyway

Like many of you I fell in love with Dayz mod.

And like many of you I rushed out and got the alpha.

Needless to say it was a huge letdown on almost every front.  (Please save the "its alpha" speech its been said over and over again. And I, like you, I am entitled to my Opionion and expectations)

My question to you is this.

When and if Dayz standalone becomes a retail release, will it actually still be relavant vs other games of its type?

Daymod was groundbreaking, exciting and all the things that make you not sleep and keep you running back for more.

Since the time that Dayzmod got old and I couldnt stomach playing Dayz Standone Ive moved on to other mods.

Ive spent countless hours playing Overwatch and Epoch both of which have taken Dayz to a different level.

Epoch in particular on a number of levels to me is a "better" game than Dayzmod. It lacks much of the survivalist aspect for sure, but kills it in the not so

boring department.  Dont get me wrong I love the Eat bark and hide in the woods bit, but I can only take so much.

At this point I kinda feel like the time for Day Standalone has come and gone. And my concern is that when it gets done its just going to be to much of "been there done that".

Arma 3  Epoch is coming out soon and it looks insane. And it is just one of the MANY games that might make Dayz standalone look like your grandmas game.

And for those that havent played Epoch, you should.

Arma 3 epoch is in beta.  Here is the link for a video.  It doesnt give up much, but given that the Epoch guys have done so much with so little in arma II, I think this version will be awesome.

So will Dayz standalone be to little to late?  Thoughts?

Relevant to what? Don't shove advertisement for mods here, i don't think it's the place.

Compared to the updates and content in 7d2d, dayz is in pre pre preschool alpha.

Just because its alpha it doesnt mean it shouldnt have regular updates.

• Like 1

There is no engine like SA's engine. It looks like A2 in terms of graphics and that's it. Vehicles, weapons, the entire movement system, ballistics, the inventory system, the clothing system. All is different to both A3 and A2. Maybe the graphics were taken from an existing engine, but that's hardly enough to say that it's just an existing engine minus unnecessary things. I'll tell you right now, that it most certainly took lots of work to build the engine. Work that needn't be spent on a mod. It's ridiculous to say that creating an entire game takes the same effort as making a mod.

Fine Ill dumb it down. Has DayZ mod or game ever made it past Alpha? Or even came close to Beta? The answer is no. Its an easy excuse. Other games excel on a minute budget. In fact I would like to see games with a big cash reserve like DayZ just to compare progress. Epoch with 60 mill? Its only been 5 months argument is Fubar. This has been in development for years.

Like I said look at the mod that is still alpha its a cough out.

The mod was never finished... everything in the mod was already made except the zombie skins. 

DayZ Standalone is a completely different story. They started from scratch. So don't wine about it. 

Go play COD plz.

You will probably be more satisfied if there is a real time mini-map pinpointing the enemies so that you can camp like in any regular FPS game.

And the list will certainly go on:

1. Spawn in a designated zone where you are already equipped with selected weapons so that you can jump right into combat.

2. You can unlock weapons as you are leveling up.

3. More kills, more money, yeah vendors! Counter Strike is back!

4. You name it.

In a way I hope Dayz can enforce a restriction on players' age so that maturity would not be crowded out here.

• Like 1

The mod was never finished... everything in the mod was already made except the zombie skins. 

DayZ Standalone is a completely different story. They started from scratch. So don't wine about it. 

Obviously you haven't been around for long, move along

Obviously you haven't been around for long, move along

Let's see, 2012, 2013, 2014.

And by the way, they did redo 80% of the core game mechanics from scratch. 

DayZ Mod is a mod, meaning most of the core mechanics have been already completed. 

Go play COD plz.

You will probably be more satisfied if there is a real time mini-map pinpointing the enemies so that you can camp like in any regular FPS game.

And the list will certainly go on:

1. Spawn in a designated zone where you are already equipped with selected weapons so that you can jump right into combat.

2. You can unlock weapons as you are leveling up.

3. More kills, more money, yeah vendors! Counter Strike is back!

4. You name it.

In a way I hope Dayz can enforce a restriction on players' age so that maturity would not be crowded out here.

Move along also,

Let's see, 2012, 2013, 2014.

And by the way, they did redo 80% of the core game mechanics from scratch. 

DayZ Mod is a mod, meaning most of the core mechanics have been already completed. 

So it s80% why claim It's alpha then? All they had to do is finish 20%, right?  and its a mod still in ALPHA. Jesus Christ Stop using alpha! ( its been alpha for years!) I've been here for years! I guess I'm being trolled.

Edited by Solus

Easy to make MOD? Even back in the beginning of the mod it was portrait  as the hardest thing ever to build (due to the engine) and lived in alpha for years (And it still lives in alpha http://dayzmod.com/). So if the track record continues. I'm guessing 2-3 years for completion of SA, at best. Alpha is a sad and  pathetic excuse.Sorry if Boneboys locks the thread he has an issue with me.

Epoch has made a name for itself due to community support/updates. Not some BS hunt for info from around the web. I don't play the game (epoch) but I follow it. Just like I follow the stomping ground it was made on 200k budget and by one man and still delivers more than a 60 million dollar surplus game like dayz.

I should have clarified more, I mean't easy compared to making a WHOLE new game. Yes, mods are not easy to make in general but when compared to a full game, they are.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

DayZ epoch is not dayz. I love dayz vanilla servers. Maybe dayz just isn't right for you. Doesn't mean its not relevant for others.

Fine Ill dumb it down. Has DayZ mod or game ever made it past Alpha? Or even came close to Beta? The answer is no. Its an easy excuse. Other games excel on a minute budget. In fact I would like to see games with a big cash reserve like DayZ just to compare progress. Epoch with 60 mill? Its only been 5 months argument is Fubar. This has been in development for years.

Alpha, beta or gold, the mod was a mod.

A mod you got for free, a mod initially intended hopefully for 600 concurrent users. There was no binding contract that Rocket had to support a free mod forever. Maybe some people thought they were entitled, because they paid Bohemia Interactive for a two-three year old game, to play Rocket's free mod, they somehow thought, that Rocket was legally or morally committed for life to a free mod.

Two years ago Rocket had just released the mod and the mod was busy going viral. 

Two years ago the free mod started selling more and more copies of the old ArmA 2.

Two years ago Rocket began working on the mod on company time, instead of his job on ArmA 3.

August 2012 Rocket and Bohemia Interactive indeed made a deal to create a standalone version.

August 2012 they intended to release a repackaged version of the mod before the end of the year.

December 2012 they changed plans and fundamentally started rewriting the core of the engine. 

You've been around as long as me, so I really shouldn't have to school you on the basics.

• Like 3

Ughhh... You people.

Here is a thought, none of the mods are very good, just throwing that out there. None of them (and I've played all the popular ones), not a single survival game in the pack. There is one decent attempt that was never really finished (Vanilla), a bunch of decent attempts that nobody ever played (2017, DayZero) and a bunch of PvP f*ckfests (or in the case of both Epochs, horder-fests).

The inventory system in every single one is garbage, the mechanics for food/hunger/disease/weather/zombies in every single one is merely passable at best and in the long run they're all going to stay that way because they're all hacked together jobs that are forced to work within the confines of Arma2/3.

The only people who think any of the mods will in the long run outdo the standalone are A. Looking for a completely different game than DayZ in the first place (They want a PvP f*ckfest) B. Really caught up in the whole "Some idiot on the internet said this game is crap and won't ever be finished. I'm too stupid to have my own opinions, so I'll just go along with them" bullshit that seems to plague every game that is an early access alpha at the moment. Seriously, go check out the forums for games like Rust, or StarBound, or hell; even Kerbal Space Program. All full of the same type of idiot sh*tting on 'em because they're still in alpha.

These people are just too stupid for Early Access Alpha, that is the long and the short of it. They're cynical idiots, who are too damn foolish and egotistical to even understand that they have no idea what they're talking about. The bullsh*t part of the whole process is when they're eventually playing the release along with everyone else they'll never be called on the stupid crap they said and will be free go on to sh*t on something else with the rest of the bandwagon. Such is the internet, people are allowed to have the most idiotic opinions that you think humans could possibly be capable of and then when they're proven absolutely wrong they can just disappear without being called to task for the proceeding twelve months of idiocy.

Qft

Well..that really should have been the end of the thread. But it won't be.

enjoy :)

• Like 2

Please explain how they started from scratch, most buildings are from arma. Edited by ld-airgrafix
  • Like 1

You think you're seeing the same buildings from ArmA, but you really aren't.

Just because it looks like Chernarus, doesn't mean there aren't great underlying changes both to the engine, the client/server side and yes the many ArmA buildings, which no longer are big square set pieces, but now have doors, stairways and loot spawns.

xQrFFKJ.png

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

You think you're seeing the same buildings from ArmA, but you really aren't.

Just because it looks like Chernarus, doesn't mean there aren't great underlying changes both to the engine, the client/server side and yes the many ArmA buildings, which no longer are big square set pieces, but now have doors, stairways and loot spawns.

xQrFFKJ.png

Alpha, beta or gold, the mod was a mod.

A mod you got for free, a mod initially intended hopefully for 600 concurrent users. There was no binding contract that Rocket had to support a free mod forever. Maybe some people thought they were entitled, because they paid Bohemia Interactive for a two-three year old game, to play Rocket's free mod, they somehow thought, that Rocket was legally or morally committed for life to a free mod.

Two years ago Rocket had just released the mod and the mod was busy going viral. 

Two years ago the free mod started selling more and more copies of the old ArmA 2.

Two years ago Rocket began working on the mod on company time, instead of his job on ArmA 3.

August 2012 Rocket and Bohemia Interactive indeed made a deal to create a standalone version.

August 2012 they intended to release a repackaged version of the mod before the end of the year.

December 2012 they changed plans and fundamentally started rewriting the core of the engine. 

You've been around as long as me, so I really shouldn't have to school you on the basics.

Just stop.. Progress is minimal if not negative compared to the time and money that is behind this title 

Just stop.. Progress is minimal if not negative compared to the time and money that is behind this title

You're so right...

...when will your AAA title go on sale?

I'll be your first fanboi.

• Like 4

This isn't about alpha/beta stages. You seem to be evading the entire argument. My previous post explains the difference between the mod and SA, which is that SA requires triple the work that the mod did. Good games generally take around 5 years to complete, typically. I said it before and will say it again: the mod was a breeze compared to SA. The mod already had an engine, on which BI themselves had worked on for over 5 years. SA, however, has to build it entirely. How can you possibly compare the two, in terms of development time? A pre-existing engine is quite the difference

• Like 1