ratiasu@hotmail.co.jp

Request to move Dichina military base

I was rather disappointed when I found out the Stary military base was removed. It was a very open base, with only tents. You could get great loot out of it, but never top of the bill, except for a big backpack or DMR. The real treats spawned at chopper crashes and barracks. (At the time there were only two barracks in the game).

It was a very open base, both entry point-wise and line of sight-wise, making it a very dangerous place to go to.

In SA, they moved the base to Dichina (hairy tit hill) west of Kabanino, about 2 KM to the west. They have tried to emulate the Stary Sobor hill setting by putting the base next to the hill. But it simply is not the same. The base is pretty much covered by the walls, and because the hill is so small, it is really easy to pinpoint someone on it. The vantage point it offers is also rather lackluster.

Dichina simply failed to replace Stary in every aspect.

On top of that, Dichina used to be a safe location one could use to scout the neighbouring fields for crashes, a temporary camp, etc.. It no longer is that either.

SA has a lot of big bases and lots of barracks, despite looking great, I personally believe they were a bad decision. In the mod, military loot was distributed over several tiers: tents -> Barracks -> Heli Crashes. Sadly, we lost that hierarchy in SA. Barracks are too plentiful, and tents spawn the same items as barracks plus the much needed attachments. Improvised military camps are gone.

As such I would like to voice my desire to have the Dichina base removed, and once again changed to an improvised tent camp in the open of Stary Sobor. 

Ideally, I would also like the amount of barracks at balota/south-west to be trimmed down, in favor of the return of small tent camps similar to the one we had in Cherno in the mod, as well as the return of the loot value hierarchy. Heli's at the top, Barracks and jail buildings a step lower, and tents at the bottom. I would like deer stands to only spawn hunting gear (mosins as a rare), and civilian prison buildings to no longer spawn military weapons. Pistols and SMG's should be the highest value loot you can find there.

It is alpha, and loot distribution is a beta thing, I realise that. But map design is something one should comment on during alpha, and when placing buildings, it is important to know what items will spawn in it, not the other way around (placing buildings first, and then later on seeing that it will be a pain in the ass to make the right weapons rare, and the common ones common simply because of the amount of spawn points the game has for it).

Edited by Ratiasu
  • Like 3

I'm not sure there's anything, other than coincidence, similar about the former Stary base and the base at Veresnik/Dichina. I'm not sure there's any evidence that they willfully tried to simulate the "hill" at Stary, vice just... you know... placed a new base.

However, yes, I agree. I don't really like how there are multiple barracks at Dichina now. It was a great and quaint waystation on one's way to Stary or NWAF, and now it's just another clusterfuck.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a town at Veresnik/Dichina, but a full-on military base? I could take it or leave it.

I would rather they re-orient the former Stary's resources back to Stary, or some other location nearby. I think Guglovo would be a good area as well, given that it's a bit more centered on the map and away from NWAF (I always felt the Stary base was too close to NWAF).

But, you also have to consider that they're talking about having us spawn in the east (in the future) and be moving to the west. Which is, ostensibly, why there are so many high-value buildings in the west (i.e. Balota, Kamenka/Pavlovo barracks, Zelenogorsk, Dichina/Veresnik, NWAF, etc.)

I'm not sure there's anything, other than coincidence, similar about the former Stary base and the base at Veresnik/Dichina. I'm not sure there's any evidence that they willfully tried to simulate the "hill" at Stary, vice just... you know... placed a new base.

However, yes, I agree. I don't really like how there are multiple barracks at Dichina now. It was a great and quaint waystation on one's way to Stary or NWAF, and now it's just another clusterfuck.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a town at Veresnik/Dichina, but a full-on military base? I could take it or leave it.

I would rather they re-orient the former Stary's resources back to Stary, or some other location nearby. I think Guglovo would be a good area as well, given that it's a bit more centered on the map and away from NWAF (I always felt the Stary base was too close to NWAF).

But, you also have to consider that they're talking about having us spawn in the east (in the future) and be moving to the west. Which is, ostensibly, why there are so many high-value buildings in the west (i.e. Balota, Kamenka/Pavlovo barracks, Zelenogorsk, Dichina/Veresnik, NWAF, etc.)

I am aware of the intention to move all spawns to the east, but right now, the south-west side of the map feels way too saturated with bases. It feels very deathmatch-y and unauthentic. Moving Dichina base and reducing Balota's barracks would already go a long way. For example, a military roadblock on the road west to green mountain could replace the Zelenogorsk barracks, and feel more authentic at the same time. Myshkino would also be a much better place to put a small tent camp. The lesser amount of barracks at Balota could be replaced by reintroducing the army tents at Cherno. 

We were told the apartments at Cherno would be one of the most intense and dangerous BUT rewarding areas of the map. I simply do not see that happening anymore. It would be great to have an improvised camp there. Even if a  lot of loot would spawn there, it would be balanced by the fact a lot of zombies can spawn at the apartments, as well as the PVP threat that comes with the skyscrapers.

I am aware of the intention to move all spawns to the east, but right now, the south-west side of the map feels way too saturated with bases. It feels very deathmatch-y and unauthentic.

Well, that's because the west will be the new north if everyone's moving from east-west vice north-south (as was the case in the mod). So that's the reason why there are a lot of bases in the west. Not sure how it feels "unauthentic," it's a design choice. Barracks have been in fixed locations before, there's nothing inauthentic about having barracks.

Moving Dichina base and reducing Balota's barracks would already go a long way.

I'm just not sure what you're intending to accomplish with this. I get moving Dichina closer to Stary, as Stary was always intended to be a midway point (even though it pretty much borders NWAF). Balota will be a new NWAF if we're moving from east-west, I don't see anything wrong with that. Moving east-west vice south-north isn't some ancillary concern, it will fundamentally change how we play and indeed view the map.

For example, a military roadblock on the road west to green mountain could replace the Zelenogorsk barracks, and feel more authentic at the same time.

Again, not sure how it's more "authentic." I think Zelenogorsk is a great place for a military base. Green Mountain already has a jail/camo building, it's already a destination. I don't think Zelenogorsk is in need of redistribution.

Myshkino would also be a much better place to put a small tent camp.

No way, don't even think about touching my Myshkino. For one, I love it exactly the way it is. Secondly, it's one of the last true "villages" we have left. All of the other cities have been expanded and now have high-value buildings in them. Third, it's one of the last isolated villages we have left. Fourth, it's in DIRECT abutment to the LAST bit of untouched wilderness we've got left in-game.

• Like 1

Well, that's because the west will be the new north if everyone's moving from east-west vice north-south (as was the case in the mod). So that's the reason why there are a lot of bases in the west. Not sure how it feels "unauthentic," it's a design choice. Barracks have been in fixed locations before, there's nothing inauthentic about having barracks.

The amount of barracks and the concentration of bases feels unauthentic. Obviously this is subjective.

I'm just not sure what you're intending to accomplish with this. I get moving Dichina closer to Stary, as Stary was always intended to be a midway point (even though it pretty much borders NWAF). Balota will be a new NWAF if we're moving from east-west, I don't see anything wrong with that. Moving east-west vice south-north isn't some ancillary concern, it will fundamentally change how we play and indeed view the map.

Again, not sure how it's more "authentic." I think Zelenogorsk is a great place for a military base. Green Mountain already has a jail/camo building, it's already a destination. I don't think Zelenogorsk is in need of redistribution.

This is in correlation With what I said above. It is too close to the other bases and allows a straight path loot parcour.

No way, don't even think about touching my Myshkino. For one, I love it exactly the way it is. Secondly, it's one of the last true "villages" we have left. All of the other cities have been expanded and now have high-value buildings in them. Third, it's one of the last isolated villages we have left. Fourth, it's in DIRECT abutment to the LAST bit of untouched wilderness we've got left in-game.

There should be a reason to go there though, and even if it is only 4-5 tents, it would go a great way to even out player distribution once the player cap is raised and the coastal wars are dealt with. Whilst I agree with your plea for more wilderness, I would rather simply have the map expanded with more forests and fields, but that is probably not realistic.

• Like 1

This, times 100.

There should be a reason to go there though, and even if it is only 4-5 tents, it would go a great way to even out player distribution once the player cap is raised and the coastal wars are dealt with. Whilst I agree with your plea for more wilderness, I would rather simply have the map expanded with more forests and fields, but that is probably not realistic.

There's plenty of reason to go to myshkino that isn't necessarily military loot related. As stated above, it's one of the last pieces of the map that actually feels like a small village in a post soviet state, it's got good proximity to the last bit of undeveloped wilderness on the map (which just feels downright peaceful imo), it provides a location from which you can monitor a large amount of the map around it from the tree covered hill to it's east, and it's generally a village that feels right (did I mention that already?). Plus, from a strategic perspective, it doesn't make a lick of sense to throw tents there. There are larger towns with better road access and more provisions available nearby, like Zelenogorsk, for example, which is why there's a base there now.

Don't touch Myshkino. They can toy with any other village/town/city they want to, but that place is perfect just the way it is.

Edited by sloasdaylight

I guess it is hard to judge without proper loot tables.

Once majority of stuff is implemented, then we can judge what spawns where.

I certainly wish for specific police station loot, camo & jail building loot, all those vastly different to the barrack or tent loot.

In general I agree, that there is way too many barracks, but maybe this could be countered by adding special NATO outpost somewhere close to north-westish borders of the map. Such outpost could spawn better loot then barracks,so better chance of getting NATO weapons & clothing of various quallity (not always snipers or LMG's ).

Dichina Military base will be great place once baricading is in game. There is not much holes in fences and it has guard towers. It can be good base, its close to towns and close to NWAF to get suplies.    

i like the military base, i dont see why a location op liked in the mod, should be relevant to the future of sa

Are we talking about the small base east of Vybor?  The one with three barracks and a jail?

Are we talking about the small base east of Vybor?  The one with three barracks and a jail?

yeah,

My group calls it the Vybor base!

That is really a nice area.  Vybor has lots of good civilian gear and a school, the base has plenty of gear.

It is a place I have had plenty of gun battles too.  You can see anyone who wants to go to the base as they race across the field.  The hill makes a good look out, though I have caught people over watching the Vybor base as I made my way north from Green Mountain.

The entire string, Zeeno, Green Mountain, Vybor Base, and NWAF is the Path of the Warrior!

chernarus-plus-high-res11_zps8ee6cd16.jp

Legend

- Blue arrows represent the east-to-west axis of movement caused by easterly spawns

- Red diamonds indicate current locations which feature a barracks and/or a jail "camo" building

- The Yellow star in the corner represents where I believe they will add another military installation

- Green stars represent where I'd like to see a "mid-level" loot spawn

Comment

As you can see, or as I can see, having folks spawn along the east coast places most of the military spawns in the extreme west. The only real outlier being NEAF now.

The necessity for a "mid-level" Stary analog may not be as significant anymore, given that we're seeing police stations, office buildings, and other mid-level (but still high-value) buildings being placed in nearly every town. So it seems the objective is to get folks gearing up gradually, until they hit the western "military" spawns and gear up fully.