WildGunsTomcat

The New Zombie Count is AWESOME

The trouble with having too many zombies in a town is it stops being a tense "what will this survivor do to me?" struggle to survive and more of a "oh hey' date=' there's a guy I COULD kill, but why bother. I'll be destroyed by zombies anyway" game.

If you want lots of zombies everywhere, L4D. There needs to be a balance between actual player drama and AI drama.

If you know that you're likely to get 10+ zombies on you after 1 shot, then pretty much everyone won't shoot and suddenly no-one is pvping, there's no drama and tension on the server, there are no grudges VS players that spill into legendary battles for towns etc.

I played for 3 hours tonight and wasn't shot at by a single survivor. Even bandits left me alone in the main cities. I went 20 minutes in elektro without hearing a gunshot that was aimed at another player.

It just ends up as "if you don't have friends, you're fucked. If you DO have friends, you're gonna need to scavenge for an hour to get enough ammo to PK 1 guy" type game, which I guarantee will get stale very quickly.

The amount of zombies in 1.5.5 was pretty much that perfect balance of player drama and "oh shit, I aggro'd zombies!"

[/quote']

From what I can find on the DAYZ website, this mod is not meant to be a team deathmatch game, but a game about survivors of a zombie apocalypse as they try to stay alive.

Before today's patch, everyone and their great-grand mother's cat (yea, the fat one, that never moves but to eat) could clean entire towns (even electro, etc) alone without even breaking a sweat. That led to INSANE amount of people just shooting each other out of bordem and turned this mod into a battlefield 3 mod for ARMA2.

There is a LOT more social tension since the patch and that's great. Opening fire for no reason in a town, you better be ready for it.

Also, I haven't been shot more than once today despite meeting a lot of people, which is a first (died tons though).

Now, I might be totally off the ball here and maybe Rocket is just actually trying to make a new BF3 map and if so, I'll shut up :)

Definitely agree, In chernarus, the only risk was a sniper. I could singlehandedly go loot the Apartments and the Hospital, all I had to worry about was an encounter with an enemy player.. now I'm shit scared to go near them.. Meme relevant -

When I was going to loot...

Before the update -

Challenge_accepted.jpg

After the Update -

challenge-denied!.png

More zombies around town is good, and a welcome change

BUT

Please reduce their spawn timers.

As it stands there is absolutely no reason to kill the zombies. Forget the villages and towns; by the time you clear out a barn, more will have spawned.

A good medium between more Zeds and the ability to clear an area (temporarily) if you need / want to would be most welcome.

(I'd also suggest reducing the loot spawn timers, but that's another discussion)

Well the current situation is accidental anyway, so I'm sure there will be tweaks of some sort.

What I would do:

-More zombies always helps give a scary, apocalyptic feel. Current numbers are good.

-I think with this many zombies, we need a way to lose them, or a way to melee. Being chased until the end of time, with no way to lose or kill them if you're out of ammo (as you very well might be in the current zombie climate), just doesn't work.

- I also think the amount of ammunition needs to be scaled up; I try to avoid zeds wherever I can, and not rile them up. But things only have to go south once, and your ammo reserves take a hit that is very difficult to recover from. Increasing the pool of ammo broadly available would go a long way towards making people feel like the rewards for going into a town are worthwhile.

Just thoughts.

More zombies around town is good' date=' and a welcome change

BUT

Please reduce their spawn timers.

As it stands there is absolutely no reason to kill the zombies. Forget the villages and towns; by the time you clear out a barn, more will have spawned.

A good medium between more Zeds and the ability to clear an area (temporarily) if you need / want to would be most welcome.

(I'd also suggest reducing the loot spawn timers, but that's another discussion)

[/quote']

Yeah the respawn timer wants to be longer

I love the people that have large groups, tents, vehicles, and military gear saying the new zombie count is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The fact is there is too many for players starting out. I don't want to suggest giving the spawn set better gear, but I mean you need a little more than a makarov to even hope of meeting up with friends or looting better things. The gun is loud and you have little ammo.

I guess my big point is that yea the zombie count can be fun if you've already looted everything you need, but just starting out it can be a nightmare.

I'm all for hardcore but we need a balance. One thing I do enjoy from the new zombie count is the less random CoD playing Bandits that have wondered into this mod.

(Edit: I do realize the zombie count is a bug, but Rocket is looking at community input about the numbers)

I love the people that have large groups' date=' tents, vehicles, and military gear saying the new zombie count is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The fact is there is too many for players starting out. I don't want to suggest giving the spawn set better gear, but I mean you need a little more than a makarov to even hope of meeting up with friends or looting better things. The gun is loud and you have little ammo.

I guess my big point is that yea the zombie count can be fun if you've already looted everything you need, but just starting out it can be a nightmare.

I'm all for hardcore but we need a balance. One thing I do enjoy from the new zombie count is the less random CoD playing Bandits that have wondered into this mod.

[/quote']

how is it harder to meet up with friends?

I love the new zombies but yeah, it's brought the difficulty level to a whole new level. Really, really wanting more silent kills, probably melee, etc.

Love the new number of zombies! Feels just right! Don't listen to the whiny noobs Rocket!

I love the people that have large groups' date=' tents, vehicles, and military gear saying the new zombie count is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

(Edit: I do realize the zombie count is a bug, but Rocket is looking at community input about the numbers)

[/quote']

What is wrong with the makarov? In the open its about a good 20-30 kills. In a town I wouldn't be surprised if you could get all 48 headshots with it. Probably even more than 48 since makarov mags spawn just about everywhere.

Well' date=' let's start with villages. Sometimes when a person turns into a zombie, they don't stand still but walk and walk over a distance. I'd say some small villages should be empty, others have zombies in lesser quantities. A lot of zombies scattered around and not in large groups everywhere you go. Maybe ,well cities can have a lot of zombies together and especially the biggest places with a lot of sound attractions can have a lot of zombies together.

Right now, when you see a zombie, you shoot it no matter where you are, you get 30+ zombies on your ass right at that moment.

Ask yourself, do you want to kill 30+ zombies for a magazine of wrong bullets and 1 bottle of cola?

[/quote']

This, i mostly solo villages in the forests but now its near impossible and have given up with my current character that had a map,knife,toolbox,watch and all the other handy stuff because i got spotted by one zombie and now have 10+ chasing me and because they take like 3 shots each i have no ammo.

I don't mind masses and zombies being in the city/large towns as i would stay clear of them, unless i was in a group. Like raphier said i think small villages and lone houses should have a hand full of zombies to none and cities have the mass.

Zombie count needs to be lowered just a smidgen, speed lowered just a bit (so they don't warp all over the place, unless there is another way to fix this) and respawn timer adjusted so that I can clear a building and not have them respawning inside while I'm watching. Other than that I really like the increased zombie count!

I love the new zombies but yeah' date=' it's brought the difficulty level to a whole new level. Really, really wanting more silent kills, probably melee, etc.

[/quote']

This, but not silenced weapons being common. More bats, knives, etc... melee

This' date=' but not silenced weapons being common. More bats, knives, etc... melee

[/quote']

I agree.

If there are that many zombies, some zombies should have nice loot tables. More drops on them for ammo or something. I wasted about 9 clips with friends to try and clear out more than 30 zombies. After all this, the pay off wasn't worth it for us trying to find more supplies.

its a bit to much man.

I had about 90 zombies come running to a house' date=' im sorry but i don't have that much ammo.

[/quote']

Didn't mean to hate on your post specifically bro, but it's just the point that needs to be brought up over and over again. This is a sandbox game, and as of now, there are atleast two ways to approach every situation. I see a lot of people choosing the loud route, and failing because they are undermanned or underequipped. Maybe it's time most of you realize that while this is a game, it is built on a military simulator. Also, most of the amazing and just generally bad ass moments come from the pure spontaneity of the environment, and other players actions. Stop crying about people killing you, stop crying about the zombie numbers, and do what you are meant to do in this game. Survive. If you can't hack it, die until you learn from your mistakes, or even simpler. Quit.

The new zombie numbers are amazing rocket. Don't cater to the noobs who can't handle the learning curve. Keep with what is making DayZ buzzworthy right now.

Well the current situation is accidental anyway' date=' so I'm sure there will be tweaks of some sort.

What I would do:

-More zombies always helps give a scary, apocalyptic feel. Current numbers are good.

-I think with this many zombies, we need a way to lose them, or a way to melee. Being chased until the end of time, with no way to lose or kill them if you're out of ammo (as you very well might be in the current zombie climate), just doesn't work.

- I also think the amount of ammunition needs to be scaled up; I try to avoid zeds wherever I can, and not rile them up. But things only have to go south once, and your ammo reserves take a hit that is very difficult to recover from. Increasing the pool of ammo broadly available would go a long way towards making people feel like the rewards for going into a town are worthwhile.

Just thoughts.

[/quote']

Playing today and being chased by 20+ zombies from a village i found out the best way to lose them is to run down a hill and then run back up, if you run at an angle you can run full speed while the zombies are stupid and walk slowly up.

I also found that running down at some angles will weirdly kill all the zombies, as today while being chased i heard dieing sounds behind so i turned around to find the zombies chasing me had died.

Well the current situation is accidental anyway' date=' so I'm sure there will be tweaks of some sort.

What I would do:

Just thoughts.

[/quote']

Playing today and being chased by 20+ zombies from a village i found out the best way to lose them is to run down a hill and then run back up, if you run at an angle you can run full speed while the zombies are stupid and walk slowly up.

I also found that running down at some angles will weirdly kill all the zombies, as today while being chased i heard dieing sounds behind so i turned around to find the zombies chasing me had died.

If you run down a steep hill zombies glitch forward, fall, and die.

[/quote']

^ This.

I work with a large group of friends and we all have high end gear. However, I died earlier this week from hitting a rock with my UAZ at 5km/h and had to start over. I worked my way up with another new spawn-in player and couldn't get out of elektro without nearly dying and using all my ammo.

I think what you'll see is a lot of player getting zombies chasing them and then DQ'ing with the new amount of zombies in this patch. Too many people just don't have the equipment to fight the amount of zombies there are now. What about staying away from cities/villages if you dont have enough guns/ammo/food/etc? Its only so long you can go before you need equipment and must venture into even the smallest of towns. On top of that zombie packs seem to be venturing into the woods so no where is safe.

I do like the added difficulty, it is nice, and even at the NW airfield with multiple M4-SDs, 1x M107, 1x24, 1x249 SAW, we still had a hard time fighting our way from the south to the north side as the zombies just kept spawning.

Not a complaint, but just an honest view on how I see things.

FYI: people having really big problems with zombies, low crawl, it'll work well.

The new zombie numbers are amazing rocket. Don't cater to the noobs who can't handle the learning curve. Keep with what is making DayZ buzzworthy right now.

I'm really sick of the occasional high horse riding user that calls people with legitimate arguments about a BUG "noobs" as if he/she is some what superior to them because they just can't comprehend how this actually causes the game to be less enjoyable to the majority.

Let me guess, you have full gear. Correction, everyone arguing the new update is great has full or good gear, or a big group.

Ok guys, lets make a wager:

Start a new character (instructions can be found) and spawn clean, now survive for more than an hour. Go on, then lets see you praise this already clarified to be GLITCHED, BUGGED update that won't remain this way due to the fact that it's BROKEN.

Yes, greater number are good, but:

a) 30 zombies near a barn makes no sense and kills immersion. Why on earth are there 30 zombies standing still doing nothing in an empty barn? Immesion: broken

b) Spawn times. So within a couple of minutes, BAM, 30 more zombies just teleported?

c) Use stealth: sure, if the stealth mechanic worked, and zombies seeing you through walls didn't exist.

d) Impossible situation: Got 90 zombies on you? Not the 1% of players with stupid amounts of ammo and a group? Die OR glitch the game with the hill-drop.

Conclusion: Most people are complaining about factors aside from being "noobz lolz no skillz"

Zombie numbers are too many. They break immersion, they don't make sense. and the game mechanics just don't cater to such a high number (be it stealth or loot).

I say a quantity between 1.5.6 and 1.5.7 for the next update would be perfect, with a longer spawn time.

So if all the "pros" and "hardcore" players could stop making fools of themselves by calling players that aren't enjoying a bug noobs, that would be swell, because despite popularity occasionally breaking games, its also good design and user experience quality that keeps a mod like this alive for many years.

Zombie count should be realistic, meaning hundreds in big cities and less out in the towns. And they should be slower, though you should have less ammo.

I really like the amount of zombies

but the respawn rate is way out of control. When I can kill 5 zombies then watch them all respawn in a 3 minute period, it's too high.