infiltrator

AKM performance

Ok so I've made 20ish kills with the AKM so far. Not much but I figure I should do a write up and compare notes with you guys in order to figure out what the values are, at least roughly.

1. This weapon has a weird, jumpy-type of sway. It's not smooth like it should, rather it moves in short bursts in various directions, which makes it weird to aim with. An interesting observation is that if you MOVE while aiming, the recoil is completely gone. It might have to do something with it. Thankfully, it can be lessened by holding breath.

2. There is no semi-auto fire mode, T doesn't seem to do anything. RPM is slighly lower than an M4s, while the recoil is higher. I've killed 5 people to the head at 200 meters from a single shot to the head. Even though there is no semi-auto mode, single shots are a bit easier to achieve due to the seemingly slightly lower RPM than the M4.

3. There are no dust clouds with this weapon, nor enemy blood gushes when I hit them, so it's really hard to gauge if I hit or miss someone, or where my shots land. I tried shooting a guy from about 400 meters (something perfectly reasonable with an M4+acog+MP parts) and couldn't hit him once from what I could tell. After he started running I must have plugged 20 rounds in his general direction.

I had some weird instances close up where I'd take far more bullets than expected to kill someone. Not sure if the damage is bugged, rubber banding or something else, but people that are running take considerably more bullets to kill. In comparison to the M4, I can down 2 people running with 10-15 bullets from 100~150 meters easily.

4. The scope doesn't seem to be affected by damage at the moment, so it's like the mosin one as far as I can tell. 

5. I haven't found the foldable buttstock so I can't testify to how it works. If anyone else did, please post your findings.

Thanks

Edited by Infiltrator

The AKM has no spread. If you do the calculations on the gun's base dispersion and the stock parts you'll see why.

Who needs semi-auto mode, it has no spread.

Netcode. 

Yep. That's why the scope is better than the ACOG.

The folding buttstock has the same exact stats as the wooden buttstock.

I'm inclined to think the scope isn't centered properly, though. This might explain your misses. 

Edited by hotcakes

The AKM has no spread. If you do the calculations on the gun's base dispersion and the stock parts you'll see why.

Who needs semi-auto mode, it has no spread.

Netcode. 

Yep. That's why the scope is better than the ACOG.

The folding buttstock has the same exact stats as the wooden buttstock.

Hmm, it would make sense because every time I'd shoot stationary targets with a (measured up) single shot it would be a hit.

One always needs semi auto. I don't remember when was the last time I used M4 full auto :P

Yeah, I guess it's fucked up on experimental. That would explain why stationary people are much easier to take out.

To me it also seems like it zooms more than the acog, but I could be wrong. They should both do 4x afaik.

That's odd, I was expecting it to do something. I'm guessing a wooden buttstock would be better as far as recoil control and balance goes.

Edit: BTW I like how it has no spread but has some sort of sway. It needs work but I think sway+no spread is much better (as a base balance model) than no sway+spread.

Edited by Infiltrator

The dispersion is almost certainly bugged. I think it's because they added an extra zero in the decimals for the AKM's base dispersion.

The dispersion is almost certainly bugged. I think it's because they added an extra zero in the decimals for the AKM's base dispersion.

But it's strange how it coincides with the sway most other weapons lack.. if I was balancing the game, I'd reduce dispersion to a minumum and up the sway on everything based on stance.

But it's strange how it coincides with the sway most other weapons lack.. if I was balancing the game, I'd reduce dispersion to a minumum and up the sway on everything based on stance.

It's too much of a coincidence. The base M4 with no parts has a dispersion of 0.1. 

The base AKM has a dispersion of 0.008. Notice how it would be close to the M4's dispersion if you subtracted a zero...

Here are the dispersion modifiers for the attachments:

Wooden hand guard:  Nothing.

Railed hand guard (not in yet?):  -0.0440968

Wooden stock:  -0.0440968

Folding stock:  -0.0440968

It's like they copy-pasted the M4's stats and said "lol we'll fix it later."

Edited by hotcakes
  • Like 1

It's too much of a coincidence. The base M4 with no parts has a dispersion of 0.1. 

The base AKM has a dispersion of 0.008. Notice how it would be close to the M4's dispersion if you subtracted a zero...

I'm inclined to believe the opposite, The base spread of an M4 is absolutely, positively atrocious, even compared to arcade shooters like BF. A goddamn musket would be more reliable. I would find it believable if the base spread of the AKM was 0.008 and the M4 had it at 0.01. Sway would need to be worked on for both to adjust for this, of course.

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 1

No, it's not. They're finally fixing the horrible dispersion.

I'm pretty sure ArmA 2 dispersion values were closer to 0.008

• Like 1

3. There are no dust clouds with this weapon, nor enemy blood gushes when I hit them, so it's really hard to gauge if I hit or miss someone, or where my shots land. I tried shooting a guy from about 400 meters (something perfectly reasonable with an M4+acog+MP parts) and couldn't hit him once from what I could tell. After he started running I must have plugged 20 rounds in his general direction.

I had some weird instances close up where I'd take far more bullets than expected to kill someone. Not sure if the damage is bugged, rubber banding or something else, but people that are running take considerably more bullets to kill. In comparison to the M4, I can down 2 people running with 10-15 bullets from 100~150 meters easily.

Ugh the rest sounds pretty good but that is sad news.  I was really hoping they'd sorted out not being able to see your shots by now.  It makes sniping a huge pain in the ass currently.

Edited by Bororm

No, it's not. They're finally fixing the horrible dispersion.

I'm pretty sure ArmA 2 dispersion values were closer to 0.008

0.00195 for AKM

• Like 1

5. I haven't found the foldable buttstock so I can't testify to how it works. If anyone else did, please post your findings.

Thanks

the fold stock from my experience with using it a lot reduces the recoil A LOT. had pristine wood stock, worn fold stock.

the fold stock from my experience with using it a lot reduces the recoil A LOT. had pristine wood stock, worn fold stock.

It literally doesn't do anything in the files, m8.

Expectation bias is pretty stronk. 

I heard somewhere that the base dispersion level for the M4A1 is taken from the gun WITHOUT a buttstock or a handguard at all, and not in the base form we normally find it.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Edited by sloasdaylight

I heard somewhere that the base dispersion level for the M4A1 is taken from the gun WITHOUT a buttstock or a handguard at all, and not in the base form we normally find it.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Yes. It's 0.1 but it doesn't account for the stock attachments. You can look up what attachments do on dayzdb.

Yes. It's 0.1 but it doesn't account for the stock attachments. You can look up what attachments do on dayzdb.

So the stock attachments don't do anything for that number? That's what I'd originally heard, but then I heard this new piece of information, so I wasn't sure.

So the stock attachments don't do anything for that number? That's what I'd originally heard, but then I heard this new piece of information, so I wasn't sure.

They do decrease the dispersion. Look up dayzdb to see what every attachment does.

It literally doesn't do anything in the files, m8.

Expectation bias is pretty stronk. 

yes i know i read your comment from before, but for some reason it felt like less recoil, probably bias yes.

A 200m head shot with an AKM iron sight should be almost impossible.  It has a significant bullet drop in real life.  It is slightly less accurate than an M4, not nearly as much as M4 proponents like to pretend (though the M4 is much more reliable than AK fans like to say).  Much of that is due to the poor iron sights.

It kicks much worse than an M4.  The current values are a hogpoge of programing issues.  There is no way that the AKM isn't a partial product.

I was thinking of dumping my M4 for an AKM if it still has next to zero dispersion, for obvious reasons. Anyone can confirm this?

0.00195 for AKM

What does that translate to in regards to MOA @ 100 yards ?

A 200m head shot with an AKM iron sight should be almost impossible.  It has a significant bullet drop in real life.  It is slightly less accurate than an M4, not nearly as much as M4 proponents like to pretend (though the M4 is much more reliable than AK fans like to say).  Much of that is due to the poor iron sights.

It kicks much worse than an M4.  The current values are a hogpoge of programing issues.  There is no way that the AKM isn't a partial product.

Not impossible at all but hard absolutely, the accuracy difference between an m4 and an ak47 mostly stem from how much better the sights are on an m4 and the quality of the ammo. That being said the accuracy on an akm in real life is pretty darn good.

I hope the future weapons and final weapons share alot with the AKM.

The akm is by far alot closer to what I would hope the final weapons feel like. It has better accuracy but most importantly it does not appear to have any dispersion reducing parts.

Edited by gibonez

What does that translate to in regards to MOA @ 100 yards ?

Not impossible at all but hard absolutely, the accuracy difference between an m4 and an ak47 mostly stem from how much better the sights are on an m4 and the quality of the ammo. That being said the accuracy on an akm in real life is pretty darn good.

In practice, I have no problem landing a headshot with a decked out MP M4 + Acog at 200 meters. Is it easier or harder to do with a PSO AKM?

AKM is pretty deadly for sure and way better than M4 when you take availability, attachments and damage into account. But to proper use the PSO you better adjust your field of view else you can´t use the scope for range finding. With adjusted FoV it´s a pretty deadly "semi-sniper" though and awesome close range. 1-2 hits on the chest - depending on the targets health and close - and you have it downed. M4 on the other hand needs headshots or lot´s of hits. I for myself survived several firefights against M4 and ate up to 4 hits to the chest without passing out or being killed. My jacket was ruined, my vest was still prestine and I wasn´t really damaged nor bleeding. Pretty weird but well DayZ delivered :D

In practice, I have no problem landing a headshot with a decked out MP M4 + Acog at 200 meters. Is it easier or harder to do with a PSO AKM?

In game it should be easier with the akm due to the lack of dispersion.

In real life it is easier with an m4 due to the flat trajectory, better iron sights, and better trigger.

Not that it is easy to aim at something small like a head at 200 m.