Bororm

Rocket on Ghosting vs Barricading/bases

Sorry if there was already a thread on this, I didn't see one but I admittedly didn't look so hard =P

We're familiar with the problem. I discussed this in the Rezzed presentation of the Roadmap. We will be solving it with controlled zones. I.e. once you have barricaded an area you will control that zone and others logging in will be warned that they cannot spawn in that position. If they confirm, they would be spawned nearby but outside of the controlled zone.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2742is/once_base_building_is_added_how_will_they_go/chx7hn0?context=3

So this seems like a pretty straightforward solution.  I could see potential issues if the footprint of the zone is poorly defined, but hopefully they make it extend past the actual structure.  Potential issues with say, barricading a single room in an apartment/multistory house could arise (does this zone register vertically?  That could cause issues with logging out above/below), but perhaps that just won't be a possibility or their system will be good enough for it to work.  We'll just have to wait and see!

Problems could potentially arise anyway.

Say you log out in a town and the next day you log back in and it warns you there is a player in the area, first, the other player is probably now fucked since you know that player is there so the likelihood you're going to kill him if you have a weapon is high. The other problem is that it could spawn you a mile or so away from the 'zone' and completely lose your bearings.

• Like 3

Well, I think this is intended to work primarily for barricaded existing structures. So, in theory, the "zones" will be pretty easy to define (i.e. the confines of the building itself). Lord knows how they intend on doing this with player-placed barricades/structures which are not dependent on an existing building.

But, I don't really see any issue with this. It's not warning you that another player is in the area, it's moving you away from a barricaded structure. You still have no idea if anyone's in that structure or even nearby.

And tough tits if it moves you away from where you logged in, land navigation is an essential skill to be learned by every single DayZ player. I doubt it'd move you THAT FAR away, but even if it did, I wouldn't mind. Land navigation isn't that hard.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 5

I'm envisioning it just moving you within a few meters of the perimeter of whatever structure it is.  As Katana points out, I think this is just barricading existing buildings.

So you log out in a house, you get bumped outside if it happens to be a player structure.  I don't see why they'd pop you across the map.  Issues could arise in cities though, with adjacent houses being barricaded to the point of shoving the viable spawn areas further and further out.  However, barricades will be destructable so we'll see how it all balances out.  I have a feeling you're going to want to barricade more out of the way buildings than ones in major towns as you're likely to get your place wrecked.

For actual custom base building, they could do a plotpole thing like Epoch does I guess, which could define a perimeter.  It's been a while since I played, and I'm straying a bit off from epoch specifically, but say you have to craft some sort of central pillar or something that defines the area in which you can build.  Which could double as a no spawn zone.

Once this is in, as well as persistent storage, we should see people settling onto specific servers any ways hopefully.  There will always be those jumping about, but in regards to annoyances which could arise for non-ghosting due to this system, I think you'll quickly learn where barricades are popping up and can just avoid the inconvenience.

So, wait.  The server is now going to have to know who built the barricades or who the perimeter belongs to?  Because that would be the only way for the server to know who can and can't log into a barricaded perimeter.

Also, what happens if you want several people to have access to your base?  Will any of these "friendlies" be allowed to log into the perimeter?

Or will a "perimeter" be defined and anyone trying to log into a "perimeter" will be spawned outside of it, including the builder of the "perimeter"?

Once a player has broken into a "perimeter", does it become his now.  Does the previous owner no longer have the ability to log into the perimeter?

Edited by DayZ_Friendly
  • Like 2

Also, what happens if someone designates a perimeter, locks it out and logs off.

Then another douche builds a bigger perimeter around the perimeter first douche built.  Will now first douche not be able to log into his own perimeter?

Also,  what constitutes building a "perimeter."  Do you actually have to enclose walls with cement and stuff and actually make sure the "perimeter" is closed off (in 3 dimensions no less.)

If there is a "hole", then does that mean someone can log into the perimeter because it isn't closed?  How are you going to know if you have properly enclosed a perimeter?

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Some people just seem to over analyze things too much.

Think of bubble boy in Sein field how he had a plastic bubble say 2

meters round him,most places you barricade will only be small any way..

And private hives are not the solution tbh,the game devs should be made to work hard to get it right or near 90percent right..

Let me put it this way if you barricade a door should you own the whole room?No you shouldn't and to think you should is way out of the sense of barricading in the first place..

Because how is the game to know what part you want the bubble in the first place and if you make it too big there will be problems that side as well so the smaller the better..

Only true solution is private hives.

Pretty much this. Wouldn't completely solve the ghosting issue though, you can still have time-travelers who sneak into the base when everyone is offline, logout, then log back in at peak time and shoot everyone in the back.

Pretty much this. Wouldn't completely solve the ghosting issue though, you can still have time-travelers who sneak into the base when everyone is offline, logout, then log back in at peak time and shoot everyone in the back.

Uhh, this proposed solution solves that issue, you simply can't log in, in the base.

• Like 1

Uhh, this proposed solution solves that issue, you simply can't log in, in the base.

Yes, I know. Why do you think I said private hives wouldn't be a complete solution on their own? They would however solve the main form of ghosting, server-to-server ghosting, and a lot of other issues with player bases.

Edited by fuke

so what about yourself wanting to log in in your base? or friends of yours?

the only solution i see for base building to function is private hives, sadly

Well, I think this is intended to work primarily for barricaded existing structures. So, in theory, the "zones" will be pretty easy to define (i.e. the confines of the building itself). Lord knows how they intend on doing this with player-placed barricades/structures which are not dependent on an existing building.

But, I don't really see any issue with this. It's not warning you that another player is in the area, it's moving you away from a barricaded structure. You still have no idea if anyone's in that structure or even nearby.

And tough tits if it moves you away from where you logged in, land navigation is an essential skill to be learned by every single DayZ player. I doubt it'd move you THAT FAR away, but even if it did, I wouldn't mind. Land navigation isn't that hard.

I'm not sure that player built structures will be implemented TBH.

1) The map would quickly become full of clutter.

2) In an apocalypse type situation where supplies are limited and you don't want to waste man-power or time, why on Earth would you build a base from scratch when you're in an area full of villages, towns and cities full of perfectly good structures?

It just makes much more sense to fortify existing structures to me.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 9

more info is needed

Yes.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Some people just seem to over analyze things too much.

Not really. There is a lot of different things that go with something like this that may look very straight forward at a glance.

• Like 2

Honestly I hate the idea of barricading houses replacing stuff like tents and stashes. The whole point of a camp was that you built it away from player traffic....not right in the middle of towns. Also I cant see any barricade we knock up to be any more than a temporary zombie blocker. Any grown man with a firefighter axe/sledgehammer will break through even a bricked up doorway in minuets. Its not authentic at all, in a situation where zombies infest populated areas like towns, for players to try and exist there. Naturally humans would scatter into the woods in search of safety, not set up shop right in the thick of the zombies.

Bring back tents and smaller camping items, forget barricades as basebuilding method, just as zombie stoppers or temporary player stoppers :)

• Like 4

Honestly I hate the idea of barricading houses replacing stuff like tents and stashes. The whole point of a camp was that you built it away from player traffic....not right in the middle of towns. Also I cant see any barricade we knock up to be any more than a temporary zombie blocker. Any grown man with a firefighter axe/sledgehammer will break through even a bricked up doorway in minuets. Its not authentic at all, in a situation where zombies infest populated areas like towns, for players to try and exist there. Naturally humans would scatter into the woods in search of safety, not set up shop right in the thick of the zombies.

Bring back tents and smaller camping items, forget barricades as basebuilding method, just as zombie stoppers or temporary player stoppers :)

I'm pretty sure something similar to tents is still planned, I wouldn't worry about that.  Barricading is just an alternative/something hopefully a bit more substantial.

I like the idea of barricading and I think it makes sense.  Even if people can break in, it still presents a defensive position, and half the fun is breaking into people's stuff.  There's so many enterable buildings now that I think you'll be able to have a bit of both worlds.  Barricade some out of the way house in some out of the way town.

As for the realism aspect... Well, some things are gonna be sacrificed.  It's not like you couldn't just crawl through a window IRL, but there's no real option for that on the majority of buildings.  I think it's worth the sacrifice to be able to fortify a building and give a larger sense of persistence to the world.  I think it's "authentic" to be able to break down some one's door after a good amount of time.  Yeah, maybe IRL you could probably axe through a wooden door in minutes, but for the sake of gameplay I wouldn't care if it took a while.

It's all speculation though, we don't know what form barricading will actually take and how useful it will actually be.

I agree it makes no fkn sense. Why would you barricade a house in a zombie infested town instead of making a camp in a safe location?

Also, people will be attracted to the barrocaded houses and loot them over anything else. Silly idea imo, won't work.

Because presumably there's zombies every where, and you already have an existing structure with many comforts to fortify.  It makes perfect sense, why would you spend your time trying to build a log cabin instead of reinforcing an existing building?  Short of building a solid log cabin, what other sort of solid structure are you really going to build out in the middle of no where?  Not to mention the extra resources/supplies you'd need to be able to do it.  I don't like to get hung up on "realism" bullshit in this game, because at the end of a day it's just a game, but barricading absolutely makes sense.

Which is not to say I don't want custom base building, I totally want both.

Edited by Bororm

Tents / cars etc?

Unless it's a house in the middle of nowhere (only a couple exist), nobody sane would live in a zombie infested town, even in a barricaded house!

I'd rather live in a barricaded house in a remote village, even with zombies outside, than in a tent with zombies outside =P

• Like 1

I'd rather live in a barricaded house in a remote village, even with zombies outside, than in a tent with zombies outside =P

In the forest = no zombies.