Raoul9753

Playing the good guy...

Since there are alot of players running around who are just assholes, I decided to be the good guy in the game.

How?

I only loot food, water and rags/bandages, dress peacefull (no military stuff, mostly coat) and run around looking for players.

Micro is always on and I have a song on my lips, so people know I mean no trouble (people who sing are good people :) )

No range weapons, only an axe to kill zombies.

And when I meet someone, I just ask if they need some food/water/bandages.

Actually its a nice way to play, had some really nice encounters while doing it... yeah still got shot on sight, but who cares, since you dont lose anything. Food and water are no rare loot, you have no rare weapon or ammo to lose.

Its nice to see that some people are hapy to see a player who not only doesnt shoot them on sight but also has some food and water for them :)

• Like 5

I actually wanted to try out this gamestyle but I haven't died yet so I can start over and don't want to suicide. Are there still new players in need of help or are you meeting KOS item hoarders most of the time?

Hard to say since I cant look in the inventory or minds of others.

Good for you, for helping others out. I could have used some beans and soda last night but alas I was shot in the face. You are braver than I am, usually if I'm gonna be an apocalyptic medic/helper I try to grab a blaze 95 or a sporter 22 just so I can at least defend myself. Beans to you

This is nice to hear, love the heroes of DayZ! I play as a hero, I'm fully geared.. But I always stock up on drinks/food and bandages for people who are in need. And when trying to make content with the bandits and they turn out to be little arseholes, it's always great to have the upper hand on them and kick their asses :D

Don't do it.  I was fully geared at NE airfield spawned in and a fresh spawn was there asking me to kill him he wanted a different spawn, I said no i will help you loot and we can go travel some towns together, so i gave him a spare FNX i had in my backpack w/ ammo food, water looted a few hangers in the airfield he found a m4 he was excited as was i,   We went to a town south west of the AF and as he was looting the house i was guarding the front door and while i was turned around he shot me and killed me.  I learned this lesson a LONG time ago never trust anyone on dayZ but i had since given up that mindset with the SA lacking content at the time of things to do, Decided to be nice and possibly make a bud and he killed me the second he saw his chance. Now maybe some of you will understand why KoS is usually the result when you see someone. you cannt trust people he was friendly talking thanking me and etc then boom murderer out of nowhere. while this story is funny is nature it was quite pathetic he was already geared and i helped him gear their was no reason for the action. Think twice before you think someone is "friendly".  they never truely are and why would u risk being proven wrong.

Edited by Skeety

why would u risk being proven wrong.

Shit happens. Just cause you had an experience with an asshole doesn't mean no one is trustworthy.
  • Like 2

I've just switched to Non- aggressive. Played 8 hours on a full server without a firearm. Just a fire axe and supplies in an improvised pack. Might add a hand gun for last resort defense.

edit : only saw one other survivor. He ran away from my greeting.

Edited by MarchHare

tried that, can't shake off the friendly bambi, 90% resulting in my death

Edited by The Lone Survivor

Don't do it.  I was fully geared at NE airfield spawned in and a fresh spawn was there asking me to kill him he wanted a different spawn, I said no i will help you loot and we can go travel some towns together, so i gave him a spare FNX i had in my backpack w/ ammo food, water looted a few hangers in the airfield he found a m4 he was excited as was i,   We went to a town south west of the AF and as he was looting the house i was guarding the front door and while i was turned around he shot me and killed me.  I learned this lesson a LONG time ago never trust anyone on dayZ but i had since given up that mindset with the SA lacking content at the time of things to do, Decided to be nice and possibly make a bud and he killed me the second he saw his chance. Now maybe some of you will understand why KoS is usually the result when you see someone. you cannt trust people he was friendly talking thanking me and etc then boom murderer out of nowhere. while this story is funny is nature it was quite pathetic he was already geared and i helped him gear their was no reason for the action. Think twice before you think someone is "friendly".  they never truely are and why would u risk being proven wrong.

You're story is not about KoS not does it justify it.  What happened was the two of you started out with a mutually beneficial relationship, but as you went along you either became more useful to him dead than alive or feared you'd feel that way about him soon enough.  He saw an opportunity to end it for the better for him and took it.

You can play the Hero of course, but typically the average player is going to be selfish, so if you want to interact with them, you have to make yourself useful to them as well as build trust.  You also can't let your guard down and always be safe, without actively showing it.

It' a tightrope to walk on, but just because some guy took an opportunity to kill you for you stuff doesn't mean you should KoS from here on out.  You can't win them all, but the ones you do are worth it.

Since there are alot of players running around who are just assholes, I decided to be the good guy in the game.

How?

I only loot food, water and rags/bandages, dress peacefull (no military stuff, mostly coat) and run around looking for players.

Micro is always on and I have a song on my lips, so people know I mean no trouble (people who sing are good people :) )

Actually its a nice way to play, had some really nice encounters while doing it... yeah still got shot on sight, but who cares, since you dont lose anything. Food and water are no rare loot, you have no rare weapon or ammo to lose.

Its nice to see that some people are hapy to see a player who not only doesnt shoot them on sight but also has some food and water for them :)

Yes you are right, with no large backpack or mosin sticking from your back, you are less likely to get killed, however it's damn hard to come across a firearm and not pick it up. I mostly pick up firearms as melle weapons are useless against the infected.

Best interactions when playing friendly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-twFYS5UyE

May get killed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbo03LcCUuo

Act with honour and integrity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TypqK4FHRXQ

I will never play any other way but "FRIENDLY!" as I find it leads to the better things to be experienced in this game. :D

However, I do acknowledge how fkin boring it would be if everybody was "nice".

I'm new to DayZ, and I started out playing the game as I would in real life, being friendly and looking to hook up with someone to survive with. I learned very quickly after being restrained, stripped, force fed rotten fruit, and beaten with an axe that there are very few friendly people in this game. As Skeety points out, you can become friends with someone only for them to turn on you and kill you in a blink of an eye. 

I now run only with people I know in real life and that I can trust because nobody else can be. Just last night I'm playing solo in a small town in the middle of nowhere when two guys come across me, I had no weapons out only a blaze on my back. One found me hiding on the side of a house and I said "hi" to him, he then fired at me luckily missing. I was able to kill him and wound his friend, but they killed me in the process. 

I admit I have had a couple of nice interactions with people wanting to help one another, but I won't stick with them for too long because eventually they turn on you.

If you carry a bible with your fucking food id shoot you after the first verse.

• Like 1

How?

I welcome any friendly player to the game. Always nice to have a little diversity in playstyles although I cant wait to be the "asshole" to you as you so ignorantly put it....

Edited by execpro22

Good to see some trusting players out there. Not carrying a weapon might be a bit naive, but hopefully it doesn't prove to be so. I see too many who stop trusting any player they see after their first time being betrayed. It's all part of the game. When I first started playing I was shot in the back 3-4 times before I learned not to give them that clear kill. Never, at least not until they're your Steam friend. After that, I literally never got shot in the back, while making plenty friends. Don't turn your back to them, keep an eye on them at all times. I can tell you that even fair players are tempted by an easy kill without any consequence, 99% will do it gladly. 85% of players who team up with you are indeed fair (though there is the odd bandit who'll kill you anyway).

As long as they don't get a CLEAR shot on you (with you being defenceless as well), they'll be friendly. It's not the player who's bad, it's the temptation that does it.

you could allways carry a pistol or saw off concealed..and srsly you should....

If you carry a bible with your fucking food id shoot you after the first verse.

That is beautiful  :beans:

Cool, nice playstyle. I've tried the same sort of thing, always have some beans to share. If I want to play a first person shooter I'll do that; but here I just try to make the apocalypse a little more pleasant for everyone.

Kudos! This game format can be fun/silly without being PVP only, being PVP only greatly limits it's potential and people who think that way are missing out. Albeit with no KOS people the game wouldn't be any where near as interesting either... but I digress. Before all of the spawns were moved up north I stood for a few hours on the bend north of Kamyshovo (the town just before Elektro) greeting fresh spawns running along the road and handing out can openers, screw drivers, and food. It was actually pretty fun and hilarious... I even had a dude sneak up on my crawling with broken legs and fulfilled his request for a kill so he could respawn (he had been crawling for an hour or two he claimed, and I'm sure he wasn't lying based upon where I was). This was all great until someone sniped me, I never even saw them... but it was a fun day.

Shit happens. Just cause you had an experience with an asshole doesn't mean no one is trustworthy.

If it was just "an asshole" and not "an army" of them.. Over the past two weeks I had maybe two positive encounters with other players, 90% have all been either "shoot on sight" or "rob me blind" and either then kill me or leave me with a broken leg.   Honestly, I totally understand why people turn after to KoS after enough times being kicked in the teeth.

If it was just "an asshole" and not "an army" of them.. Over the past two weeks I had maybe two positive encounters with other players, 90% have all been either "shoot on sight" or "rob me blind" and either then kill me or leave me with a broken leg. Honestly, I totally understand why people turn after to KoS after enough times being kicked in the teeth.

If you start KOS'ing because youve been KOS'ed then your every bit as part of the problem as the ones who did it to you. Also my point was that some people are trustworthy. You have just told me that 10% of your encounters are friendly. That's pretty damn good if you ask me xD. Edited by Murlough

If you start KOS'ing because youve been KOS'ed then your every bit as part of the problem as the ones who did it to you. Also my point was that some people are trustworthy. You have just told me that 10% of your encounters are friendly. That's pretty damn good if you ask me xD.

The problem is the absolute anonymity we enjoy in this game.  Unfortunately in situations were there is almost no consequences for ones bad behavior, there is little incentive to not be a dick.  And that 10% dropped to about 8% after two more deaths.  One after I saved a player from a bandit...  It is starting to be not worth the risk and I am starting to wonder if my time is better spent having to restart so often just on the off chance that 1 out of 10 encounters will be with a friendly player...

I went around helping people one day like this. I always hero but this time I was lone-wolfing and only looted food. I can do a good Irish accent and I'm good at making people laugh. So I ran around talking shit and goofing off. Helped a couple but was mostly attacked. First guy hit me with an axe. Killed him with my fist. Second time was two freshies who jumped me before I could even speak. Knocked them both out. Pretty fitting actually.

• Like 1