infiltrator

Damage model still wonky?

Was on experimental with a friend, shot a guy from about 200m to the head with an AKM. As he fell down, I noticed his cowboy hat got ruined in the process. My friend goes to loot him, confirms clean headshot, but wait, he's alive. Again, he had a frikin cowboy hat on. How can this happen? Even a ballistic helmet shouldn't protect you at that range (the impact force will snap your neck even if it stops the bullet), let alone a leather hat.

I get this from time to time, I exclusively wear beanies. And, Yeah.. I've been point blanked by a mosin, Knock unco, Friend killed the shooter, Saline, Good to go.. Just a bug, I guess.

Damage is weird shit in this game.  I like a bit of uncertainty I guess, but some of the stuff is a bit silly.

was he wearing sunglasses? they've saved me before. 

was he wearing sunglasses? they've saved me before. 

I am not sure, but I'd say yes, as typically everyone puts glasses on when they find them.

All head gear stacks up to reduce damage.  So if you're wearing say, a hat, glasses, and a mask or whatever, each one of those will reduce damage to an extent.

I'm pretty certain this is why they removed the ability to wear gas masks with helmets.

All head gear stacks up to reduce damage.  So if you're wearing say, a hat, glasses, and a mask or whatever, each one of those will reduce damage to an extent.

I'm pretty certain this is why they removed the ability to wear gas masks with helmets.

No, they removed gas masks with helmets because of clipping, I don't have the exact quote but I'm sure of that. As for every helm item sucking up damage, lets say its true, why does the same action yield different results - most of the time I shoot anyone in the head - regardless of headgear, they drop dead. Their items were not a factor. But sometimes, they don't die. Head gear or wonky hitboxes?

Long version (my default mode):

Don't forget the shock values in the game. The following I rip out of my cerebral cortex, just what I think I heard over time:

- You get unconscious when your shock exceeds your blood level.

- Shock is a numeric value like blood, don't know how high it can get.

- Your shock is reduced by 30/sec

- You can knock someone out with 2 fists to the head

- you practically loose no blood when being knocked unconsciou, can be seen, when you look how fast you go into healing state after being knocked down

- being knocked out twice in a row will not keep you down so much longer than the first time, so shock value may be maxed at 5000 like blood and health

Let's play with those numbers:

You have no regeneration currently and get a headshot that gives you full shock and you somehow manage not to start bleeding...lets take extreme values here: 500 blood and staying there, 5000 shock. You need to shake of 4500 shock, that's exactly 2m30s you need to wait, before you regain consciousness. That's quite long already.

Lets assume you are on slow regeneration and therefore get 1 blood per second back, you bleed out at 5 per second (watch Mobo on youtube) and you have so much blood that you reach exactly 497 after those 2m30s. You then continue to bleed out with -4 blood/sec including the regeneration and a buddy comes and patches you up just before you die:

2m20s till 497

2m4s seconds till you are patched up (497-124*4=1 blood remaining :) )

8m19s (499s) seconds till you are at 500 blood again and wake up.

That makes it a total of 12m43 if I did not misscalculate, and that is a real possibility.

Other example: You are on low regeneration and get shot to 20 blood and don't bleed. It will take exactly 8m till you wake up again, shock is irrelevant at that point.

Now that is an extreme worst case, but something like above happened to me, only on high regeneration, so i practically lost 2 blood/sec while bleeding out.

Concerning ballistic helmets, I think the are supposed to keep you from dieing, even from a direct headshot, but it must be actually hit. They don't protect you from shots to the face, otherwise you would not be able to knock ppl out that wear them. Combine this with the (I think) indeed wonky damage model and a lot of funny things are guaranteed to happen.

Concerning reality and gruesome neck snapping, modern ballistic helmets are supposed to help agains all the other niceties that fly around in the battle, there is shrapnel, a wood splinter going your direction... . They may protect you, if the shot is not head on, but at the side of the helmet. Now as helmets make you head bigger, I don't know if it only protects you from shots that would have missed you in the first place, if you would not be wearing it... . They are also supposed to break in such cases and absorb a lot of kinetic energy that way, if I remember correctly.

Short version (cause my default mode sucks sometimes):

Get to your opponent as soon as you are comfortable doing so. If you think he is in a group, get the hell out of there or hunt then down, your descision. But decide fast and don't linger in insecurities.

If you decide to go to your opponent:

- Be nice: check pulse, if alive take away his weapons, patch him up, talk to him, whatever. But take away his weapons.

- Be not so nice: put an additional bullet in the head, ppl lying around look different depending on if they are alive or dead, but I somehow am never really sure.

Thanks for the elaboration. I know that the guy was bleeding because before checking him, my friend said "I can see blood dripping from the floor, he's definitely down". So he took a headshot, was bleeding, it was 200 meters in a building, my friend took ~2/3 minutes to get to him, after which he was still alive, miraculously. Head gear was all ruined, rest of the gear - intact (definitely headshot).

No, they removed gas masks with helmets because of clipping, I don't have the exact quote but I'm sure of that. As for every helm item sucking up damage, lets say its true, why does the same action yield different results - most of the time I shoot anyone in the head - regardless of headgear, they drop dead. Their items were not a factor. But sometimes, they don't die. Head gear or wonky hitboxes?

I think there's tons of little factors that go into it, resulting in basically random nonsense damage.  Distance, items, item condition, item type, weapon.  Could be the difference between a pristine pair of sunglasses or not.

I check everybody I shoot, regardless.

Yep, this, and every other feature currently in the game are merely placeholders. Expect lots of changes before release.

Remember Zombileland...

Cant recall the exact rule number but...

The Double Tap.....always be sure ;)

• Like 1