Sign in to follow this  
leefriendfield

Should walkie talkies have text chat?

Should walkies have text chat?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should walkies have text chat?

Walkie talkie not only should equate to side chat, but also to a lot of chats. When you enter the game you should only have direct chat, but one of the first objectives of any player should be to find a walkie talkie and then opening up a bunch of chats (or frequency channels for realism), with both mic and text (since obviously not everyone has a mic, and not everyone can use a mic all the time, theres people sleeping in my house past 12:00 pm).

Some of those channels could be for group (incase grouping is added) or go with full realism, adding a lot of channels and also encryption code. So me and my friends can have a channel for us and an encryption code manually added to our walkie so no one else can understand anything we text/say even if they get our channel (besides, would be fun to kill someone and take his walkie to find out the code).

Another tips is, unless you're using some earphones, anyone around you (including zombies) should be able to hear what cames out of your walkie.

I vote No. Im sorry but this is a step too far for me personally. I want them to seriously limit spam/ messages popping up.

Players should buy a mic, or not take part in the walkie talkies.

For example, if you are deaf or have speaking problems you can use team speak on a seperate monitor and converse text through that. I think we should keep the game as hardcore as possible.

I agree the majority of the people who don't use a mic are the bad players who KOS. I give them a few seconds to lower their gun and type 'friendly' but if they haven;'t got a mic Im already aimed at them and they aren't trustworthy imo

Edited by AgentNe0

I vote No. Im sorry but this is a step too far for me personally. I want them to seriously limit spam/ messages popping up.

Players should buy a mic, or not take part in the walkie talkies.

For example, if you are deaf or have speaking problems you can use team speak on a seperate monitor and converse text through that. I think we should keep the game as hardcore as possible.

I agree the majority of the people who don't use a mic are the bad players who KOS. I give them a few seconds to lower their gun and type 'friendly' but if they haven;'t got a mic Im already aimed at them and they aren't trustworthy imo

I just don't get this. You want Walkie-talkies to allow people to sit and yell across the entire map all day long, but if they type a text message, it breaks the game for you? that makes zero sense to me. The game doesn't require a mic, and it shouldn't. It pretty much requires a keyboard, and that is what we use to text. Seems pretty simple to me. If you don't like me texting, change the channel. 

I wouldnt be surprised that most of people who wants walkie talkie only for talking purposes, are english speakers origin.

I play at EU servers, we have allmost 20 different languages at EU by self.

Also you can add couple of countries that aint in EU but they have lots of players, that makes it over 20 different languages easily.

It is much easier to 20 year old turkish to have conversation with 45 years old thick accent scottish, if they can write.

Believe me.

I have only like 5 hours day when i cant use my mic.

Its when rest of my household is sleeping.

But what i think, walkie talkie should make some static sounds and even when you write to it.

Thats enough realism for me.

I just don't get this. You want Walkie-talkies to allow people to sit and yell across the entire map all day long, but if they type a text message, it breaks the game for you? that makes zero sense to me. The game doesn't require a mic, and it shouldn't. It pretty much requires a keyboard, and that is what we use to text. Seems pretty simple to me. If you don't like me texting, change the channel. 

It will be frustrating, I want them to keep the game with no hud and immersive , realistic.

1. a walkie talkie is not a pager. The satiellite systems and phone masts which deal with pagers and SMS do not work for walkie talkies, which are a two way radio

2. I dont want to see stupid text messages popping up in the corner like in the mod with people crying about been killed etc

3. if they wanted to do this, do it immersively and realisticly. So your character should pull the walkie talkie out his pocket, make it take up the whole screen, with the message displayed on the actual walkie talkie.

I'd also prefer the inventory this way- i dont know if you've all been playing The Forest (fantastic game) but their inventory is damn perfect. using inventory displays your bag on a rug, with all the belongings, so you can't see whats going on in the game whilst looking at it.

I wouldnt be surprised that most of people who wants walkie talkie only for talking purposes, are english speakers origin.

I play at EU servers, we have allmost 20 different languages at EU by self.

Also you can add couple of countries that aint in EU but they have lots of players, that makes it over 20 different languages easily.

It is much easier to 20 year old turkish to have conversation with 45 years old thick accent scottish, if they can write.

Believe me.

I have only like 5 hours day when i cant use my mic.

Its when rest of my household is sleeping.

But what i think, walkie talkie should make some static sounds and even when you write to it.

Thats enough realism for me.

As a European speaking one of the least spoken European languages, I disagree with your reasoning. English is the future for us, btw.

I agree there should be text, but simply for the sake of those who can't use a microphone or don't have one. I have a pretty expensive mic, but no matter how great it is and no matter how accustomed to TeamSpeak I am, there are plenty of situations when I can not use it. When there's too much noise in the vicinity, when someone is staying, or simply after a hard and tiring day, and so on... .

Why should we be forced to buy mics? I don't want to actually converse with strangers I'm autistic, text chat would be great with these.

No need to lose your head over it, Pitou.

Edited by Ratiasu

It will be frustrating, I want them to keep the game with no hud and immersive , realistic.

1. a walkie talkie is not a pager. The satiellite systems and phone masts which deal with pagers and SMS do not work for walkie talkies, which are a two way radio

2. I dont want to see stupid text messages popping up in the corner like in the mod with people crying about been killed etc

3. if they wanted to do this, do it immersively and realisticly. So your character should pull the walkie talkie out his pocket, make it take up the whole screen, with the message displayed on the actual walkie talkie.

I'd also prefer the inventory this way- i dont know if you've all been playing The Forest (fantastic game) but their inventory is damn perfect. using inventory displays your bag on a rug, with all the belongings, so you can't see whats going on in the game whilst looking at it.

actually, some 2 way radios do have text capabilities.

As for kiddies complaining after dying, first they have to run back and loot a working radio and battery. Not going to be an issue, imo

The inventory thing you mention is really for the game as a whole, not just wt's. Fwiw, I can hold both a WT and m4 at the same time and scan my surroundings too.

Edited by randomspawn
  • Like 1

So you would rather read their blabbering instead?  What you said makes zero sense.

Yes, I would. Atleast I wouldn't hear them ruining the immersion by blaring out dubstep or gangnam style.

I voted "no". Personally, I wish that text chat wasn't featured in the game at all. DayZ is the kind of game that requires a microphone IMO.

Get out.