Sign in to follow this  
mazymodz

Remove 'Change Server' Button. Make a function for 'Play' button

So I'm getting tired on server hoppers that get much loot without a challenge on servers with no players (besides themself).

I've worked a possible solution in my mind:

· Remove the 'Change server' button

This disables the feature for players to choose servers with no players => They can't get loot without a challenge.

However, if this button would be removed, we wouldn't be able to play. So this is where the 'Play' button comes in.

· Add a function to the 'Play' button

(I'm not sure if there actually is a function in this button (haven't tried)).

A. Main function

This function would be a system that makes the player connect to a server that has a reasonable amount of players, but also a reasonable ping.

B. Populate empty servers

To get server with no players populated, the system would wait for multiple players to "queue". After the system has found a number of players that live in the same area, those players will join a server that they have a reasonable  ping on. And from there players would be able to join one by one.

C. No slots

If there are no servers with free slots, the system would ask you if you'd like to join a server but in exchange of a higher then x ping. x = The set ping => If possible you would have a settings tab where you would be able to set a 'max ping' which is used to check what a reasonable ping is for the player.

D. Playing with friends

To play with your friends, you'd need to create a 'party' where you can invite your friends and you will all join the same server. The max ping will be judged by the party host's settings.

E. In-game 'Add to favorites' button

This is basically if you would like to rejoin the server you was on before. You would be able to re-join the server, but if its bellow the reasonable amount players, it will tell you to wait until 

F. View the 15 last servers you've played on 

If you forgot to favorite your server in.game, this is another way of adding it.

G. Join a server after (a) friend(s)

Every player doesn't start playing at the same time.

H. Server filter
You probably do not want to end up on servers that enforce a particular playstyle (PvP, Friendly, TS required etc.) or feature special rules (high loot, 3rd person only, 24/7 whatever etc.) or do not support any language you're speaking.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So that was it, if you have any questions feel free to post them in the comments and i'll do my best to answer them.

And if there was anything i missed, please let me know.

-- MazyModz --

Edited by itzhazed
  • Like 1

Sure. Or just private hives. That'd probably fix the vast majority of server hopping without creating some convoluted system.

It's well written, though, and your idea is fairly solid - I just think it's unnecessary. 

Sure. Or just private hives. That'd probably fix the vast majority of server hopping without creating some convoluted system.

It's well written, though, and your idea is fairly solid - I just think it's unnecessary. 

Why divide people into survivors and pussies ? Pussies will play on public servers and hop between empty servers while real survivors will play on  private hives. Since this is DayZ there is no room for pussies, so make them all play like real survivors

Edited by Gdaddy22

Why divide people into survivors and pussies ? Pussies will play on public servers and hop between empty servers while real survivors will play on  private hives. Since this is DayZ there is no room for pussies, so make them all play like real survivors

Well then the 'pussies', as you so eloquently put it, will remain on the public servers and 'real survivors' such as yourself will stick to the private hives.

I personally prefer servers that have fewer players. I find the experience more enjoyable. I don't want to have others dictate how I should play. If I want to play on a 10-player server then I should be able to, rather than having to wait in a queue until there's 15.

Actually not a bad idea but I would like to be able to:

A. Join after selected friends

Because not everyone starts at the same time so in reality if you want to play DayZ your friend "Ben Bandit" already roams Berezino on a populated server while "Larry Looter" runs around on a low populaton server searching for a pristine Mosin compensator. Your friend "Fred Friendly" is not ready to play yet and would like to join you in 30 min - or later. Here it would be a good thing to just join after a selected friend (ofc Larry Looter would find himself on a populated server with the OP idea) instead of requiring everyone to wait for everyone else.

B. Filter Servers

Because I do not want to end up on servers that enforce a particular playstyle (PvP, Friendly, TS required etc.) or feature special rules (high loot, 3rd person only, 24/7 whatever etc.) or do not support any language I am speaking. Ping is one thing but he are many other factors.

So the idea might work if a "preferences" menu was available and you still got the option to just join after a friend (also getting to know his servers rules). I also believe servers with different loot settings should not be allowed to share a hive.

If there were no public hives at all everyone would have to play like a real survivor and stick to the server (something that is pretty important once persistent storage, base builing and vehicles are implemented). The basic idea is that you get one survivor per server.

If thats too much memory space groups of servers could be joined together in a semi-public hive that only allows X survivors per player before one of them gets overwritten. In case of X=1 this would be joining another servers will ask you if you want to restart and delete your old survivor whenever you are about to switch to another server from the same group. This keeps memory space manageable and prevents server hopping as well. Having X>1 might be more reasonable as it prevents being stuck with an empty (or full) server or deleting your survivor.

Actually not a bad idea but I would like to be able to:

A. Join after selected friends

Because not everyone starts at the same time so in reality if you want to play DayZ your friend "Ben Bandit" already roams Berezino on a populated server while "Larry Looter" runs around on a low populaton server searching for a pristine Mosin compensator. Your friend "Fred Friendly" is not ready to play yet and would like to join you in 30 min - or later. Here it would be a good thing to just join after a selected friend (ofc Larry Looter would find himself on a populated server with the OP idea) instead of requiring everyone to wait for everyone else.

B. Filter Servers

Because I do not want to end up on servers that enforce a particular playstyle (PvP, Friendly, TS required etc.) or feature special rules (high loot, 3rd person only, 24/7 whatever etc.) or do not support any language I am speaking. Ping is one thing but he are many other factors.

So the idea might work if a "preferences" menu was available and you still got the option to just join after a friend (also getting to know his servers rules). I also believe servers with different loot settings should not be allowed to share a hive.

If there were no public hives at all everyone would have to play like a real survivor and stick to the server (something that is pretty important once persistent storage, base builing and vehicles are implemented). The basic idea is that you get one survivor per server.

If thats too much memory space groups of servers could be joined together in a semi-public hive that only allows X survivors per player before one of them gets overwritten. In case of X=1 this would be joining another servers will ask you if you want to restart and delete your old survivor whenever you are about to switch to another server from the same group. This keeps memory space manageable and prevents server hopping as well. Having X>1 might be more reasonable as it prevents being stuck with an empty (or full) server or deleting your survivor.

Thanks,

I'll add it to the list.

We can dream of the day that private hives not associated with GSP's will come

one day...

One day....

The PLAY button is for joinning the last server you played on. So everytime I open DayZ I just hit PLAY and I'm connecting to that server. If I want to change my server of choice, then I hit CHANGE SERVER and choose another one. I think your idea is unnecesary

The PLAY button is for joinning the last server you played on. So everytime I open DayZ I just hit PLAY and I'm connecting to that server. If I want to change my server of choice, then I hit CHANGE SERVER and choose another one. I think your idea is unnecesary

Well if there wouldn't be a problem with the ability of players choosing what server to play on, i wouldn't come up with this.

But people server-hop and get loot on empty servers, which is a problem. Its also connected with KOS as players get loot on empty servers and use it on full servers (mostly on new spawns).

Well if there wouldn't be a problem with the ability of players choosing what server to play on, i wouldn't come up with this.

But people server-hop and get loot on empty servers, which is a problem. Its also connected with KOS as players get loot on empty servers and use it on full servers (mostly on new spawns).

But it creates more problems than it solves, especially given the dedicated servers.

If people can't join servers with 0/40 players, then nobody is going to play on those servers. Servers that already have some sort of playerbase will be the only ones that people bother to join. If players have to queue up to join a server, what's to stop a clan from all joining the same server and having it to themselves?

This system might reduce server hopping, but it'll also funnel players into a small number of servers. Hell, countries with a small playerbase might be restricted to just one or two servers. I'm sure a more eloquent and less technically invasive system exists. I, for one, believe that private hives will probably reduce the amount of server hoppers. It won't eradicate the problem, but it'll go a long way to fixing the issue without making sweeping changes to the way people can join servers.

No. High-population servers are too KoS-filled right now. Sometimes I just wanna have some time to myself to experiment and have fun on my own not be thrust into a deathmatch.

Edited by King of kong

it is impossible to Join an empty server. At least for me, whenever I try to join a 0/40 or 2/40 I get stuck in Wait for Host for hours until Y go back and join a full server. That's the only way for me

No. High-population servers are too KoS-filled right now. Sometimes I just wanna have some time to myself to experiment and have fun on my own not be thrust into a deathmatch.

I know. That's why I want the development team to randomize the spawn locations around the map. 

They also need to reduce the number of guns spawned, you can find one in like 2 minutes after spawning.

But the main problem is that at the moment there is nothing else to do then PvP. They need to add crafting (which won't happen until around August (in best cases)).

They need to increase the amount of zombies spawned& make them respawn.

I'm aware that it's not possible ATM, but it's been confirmed on Rezzed 2014 that more zombies will spawn as development progresses. 

Edited by itzhazed

I like play button as it is but I would like to see which server am I approaching via that button and how many players are there.

it is impossible to Join an empty server. At least for me, whenever I try to join a 0/40 or 2/40 I get stuck in Wait for Host for hours until Y go back and join a full server. That's the only way for me

I think, you can explain this "phenomenon" like that:

for example right now, there are about 25,000 payers ingame. i dont know how many servers exist, but i think that there is a relatively low number of servers (maybe 10,000 ?), so every server will immediately have some guys joining.

so theoretically there are no empty servers. exept for the broken ones, because nobody could join them.

now if you try to join this broken server, it wont work.

but i dont know if this theory is right, but it seems to be logical...